• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firefinch (1 Viewer)

leon

To me these two (different) birds appear to be Jameson's Firefinch.
(Lagonosticta rhodopareia) and not African firefinch. I say this because they don't have clear grey heads.

The only reason I have included the second image is to show that the birds did have white spots on the chest, did not show on the other images. Maybe they require light to reflect.

Is my ID correct?

Attachments

• fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 203
  • fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 190
Yes, certainly Jameson's. Compared to other relatives in the region note extent of red in head and dark bill. White spots on flanks can be found in most species of Firefinches, Jameson's no exception. Nice photo of a skulker.

Confirm what Rasmus has said on this one. The African where it isn't red on mantle and head is kind of a grey or grey-red.

Last edited:
Rasmus Boegh said:
Yes, certainly Jameson's. Compared to other relatives in the region note extent of red in head and dark bill. White spots on flanks can be found in most species of Firefinches, Jameson's no exception. Nice photo of a skulker.
please excuse my ignorance - what is a skulker?

Skulker: A term used to describe a species that has a tendency to skulk; stay in dense vegetation etc. so can be hard to see (& photograph)

***It seems that Steve is faster than I am ;)

Leon,
Here's a good figurative example. I imagine you have Quail of some type where you are. Usually they won't flush when you're on them until you're about to step on them. They would rather sneak through the grass (Rails are famous for this as well) when you've got your head turned from their hiding spot. Sneaking around in vegetation that can hide them to your view, and freezing when they see you are looking at their general position, and moving on when you aren't - this is skulking!

Rasmus Boegh said:
Skulker: A term used to describe a species that has a tendency to skulk; stay in dense vegetation etc. so can be hard to see (& photograph)

***It seems that Steve is faster than I am ;)

That's only because your mind is totally exhausted from the horrible tribulation of that extenuating exam! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back