• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

buying decision: Swarovski SLC HD 8x42 or Zeiss Victory 8x42 T*FL (1 Viewer)

MeisterE

Hej!
I want wo buy a binocular for hiking, hunting and birding.
After testing many binoculars there are finally two options left.

Zeiss Victory 8x42 T*FL
Swarovski SLC HD 8x42

Which one would you choose and why?
I testet both and it´s really hard for me to make a decision:smoke:

Thank you for your help!
Hej from Austria!
MeisterE

Buy the one you like best. The one you feel most comfortable using. Don't get caught up in fine haired distinctions at this time. You have already eliminated the others.

Bob

I bought the Swaro 10x42 SLC HD's......unsurpassed glass, unsurpassed ergonomics, and unsurpassed Swaro service made it an easy choice for me.

I bought the Swaro 10x42 SLC HD's......unsurpassed glass, unsurpassed ergonomics, and unsurpassed Swaro service made it an easy choice for me.

I agree with the unsurpassed service bit at least. I have the 8x32 EL and there is nothing else I like as much and I've tried a lot of bins. You can't go wrong with Swarovski, particularly if you live in Austria. Their turnaround between the UK and Austria is quick so I would imagine an even faster service within Austria.

Buy local man- Swarovski! :t:

Seriously, can't go wrong with either one; as stated above get which ever one suits you best. If it was me, I would buy he Swaro HD's - but I am a big Swarovski fan.

Good luck with the decision; either way you are going to have a great new tool/ toy. ;)

Hej!

Zeiss Victory 8x42 T*FL
Swarovski SLC HD 8x42

Thank you for your help!
Hej from Austria!
MeisterE

Good of you to ask for advice, and welcome to the Birdforum.
I have owned the Zeiss FL 8x42, and currently the Swaro. SV. 8.5.
I have looked through the SLC HD, but not for any length of time.

One important thing you probably know is the Zeiss FL has been around
for a number of years, 7 ? and will be soon be coming around for an updated
model. The SLC is new in 2010, and has a better view to the edges,
and I do prefer the armor and feel of the Swarovski.

They are both high quality optics, and right now the Zeiss may be better
priced, and I do agree with the other posters, it is up to you, on what one
you prefer.

Jerry

Hej!

Zeiss Victory 8x42 T*FL
Swarovski SLC HD 8x42

Thank you for your help!
Hej from Austria!
MeisterE

I would go with the Zeiss FL because it is lighter. Have you tried the 8x32's. Either the Swarovski 8x32 EL or the Zeiss 8x32 FL. For birding and especially hiking you would really appreciate the smaller size and weight and the view is 98% as good under most conditions.

Last edited:
Hej from America!

Haven't tried either bin, but Dennis makes a point about format and weight for some of your activities. If your pockets were as deep as a Dungchen, the ideal combo would be a full sized bin and a midsized "companion". Dennis has some experience with that. :)

Jerry also makes a point about the SLC-HD having the latest technology whereas the word is that Zeiss plans to introduce new models. Of course, that's probably what's driving the discounts with the FLs, trying to clear their old inventory.

Since both bins offer spectacular views in the center of the field, it will come down to other differences btwn the bins. Here's a sample "Pro" and "Con" list you could make to help you decide.

Focusers. Each focuser has a different "feel" and speed. Which suits you best?

Ergonomics. Which bin will be less fatiguing to hold on an all day outing?

Edge performance. Some FL users have commented on the steep fall off at the edges, which might or might not be an issue for you. If the SLC-HD is similar to the SLC I tried, it has a generous sweet spot and gradual fall off at the edges. If you try them both again, move your target off center to evaluate this difference.

Distortion Levels. FL reviews report a relatively high level of distortion (pincushion). Some people won't notice this, others will experience a "scrolling" effect while panning. If you compare the two bins again, do a lot of panning with them and see if the higher distortion in the FL is noticeable to you.

Viel Glück!
MeisterB

Last edited:
Hej from America!

Haven't tried either bin, but Dennis makes a point about format and weight for some of your activities. If your pockets were as deep as a Dungchen, the ideal combo would be a full sized bin and a midsized "companion". Dennis has some experience with that. :)

Jerry also makes a point about the SLC-HD having the latest technology whereas the word is that Zeiss plans to introduce new models. Of course, that's probably what's driving the discounts with the FLs, trying to clear their old inventory.

Since both bins offer spectacular views in the center of the field, it will come down to other differences btwn the bins. Here's a sample "Pro" and "Con" list you could make to help you decide.

Focusers. Each focuser has a different "feel" and speed. Which suits you best?

Ergonomics. Which bin will be less fatiguing to hold on an all day outing?

Edge performance. Some FL users have commented on the steep fall off at the edges, which might or might not be an issue for you. If the SLC-HD is similar to the SLC I tried, it has a generous sweet spot and gradual fall off at the edges. If you try them both again, move your target off center to evaluate this difference.

Distortion Levels. FL reviews report a relatively high level of distortion (pincushion). Some people won't notice this, others will experience a "scrolling" effect while panning. If you compare the two bins again, do a lot of panning with them and see if the higher distortion in the FL is noticeable to you.

Viel Glück!
MeisterB

Good reply, Brock. You sometimes tend to beat around the bush but this reply was excellent and very helpful. For birding I really feel the 8x32 format is the best if you can only have one binocular and I think the Zeiss 8x32 FL is the best overall of the 32mm roofs. As you well know there are some good 32mm porro's out there and I think they are made by Nikon.

I would assume that many people disagree with your opinion about 8x32 being the best format for birding if you can only have one binocular. I would lean towards 8x42 being the best if only one pair is possible. I sold my SLC 8x30 for a Swarovision 8,5x42 and have never regretted the decision and never minded the bit of extra weight (I use the suspenders), not even on very long walks. I would recommend the SLC for MeisterE ...

The only really good 10 x 32's are the 4 Alphas and they cost big bucks. Most people will settle for a 10 x 42 many of which are economically priced and do a good job.

Inexpensive and moderately priced 10 x 32s can't match up with either the aforesaid Alphas or the many good moderately priced 10 x 42s. These 10 x 32's all have narrow fields of view (some are quite narrow) and inevitably have poor edges too.

It is hard to make a very good 10 x 32 without using the best optics.

Bob

Hi Ceasar

Yes I think that now with the high light transmission of the current 10x32 alphas it has made them a more viable option in overcomming the restricted exit pupil. I'm quite surprised at the brightness of mine although they do fall short of the el 8x32 but I think I am definitely a 10x user and I still like the smaller 32mm package. I hope I get to try the EDG some day and still look forward, as I have been for a while, to seeing what the new Swaro 10x32 will be like but I imagine it will just be a shrunken version of the 10x42 and might still lack some colour saturation.

Hej together!
Thank all of you for helping me to make a decision- tomorrow i´m going to buy a swaro slc hd 8x42;))

Greetings from Austria,
MeisterE

Hej together!
Thank all of you for helping me to make a decision- tomorrow i´m going to buy a swaro slc hd 8x42;))

Greetings from Austria,
MeisterE

MeisterE,

You can't beat a high quality 8x42 for an all purpose bin (except perhaps a 7x42. :)

Let us know how you like it.

Btw, President Heinz Fischer will sending you a special commendation for buying Austrian! :)

Have you read this review of the SLC HD by binomania? If not, here's a translation in your native tongue:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=de&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.binomania.it%2Fbinocoli%2FSwarovski_SLC_HD%2Fswarovskislc_hd_8x42.php

¡Ciao!
Signore B.

IMO

Very Good Choice-

For you - Way to Buy local! I love Swarovski products, but for me they are an import, but that is OK; my truck is also an import- Toyota.

Enjoy your new bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back