• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice on scope tripod (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I'm trying to find a tripod that will be suitable for my Alpen 788 2-60x80 spotting scope. The scope weighs 56 oz. I'm a 5'1 woman and I don't want a heavy or large tripod. But I do want a tripod that is sturdy enough to support my scope and one that is good for birding. I'm just overwhelmed at the choices of tripods and heads and I don't know what to get. Can someone recommend a good tripod for me?

I found this Professional Heavy Duty Video Camcorder Tripod Fluid Drag Head Kits by Fancier WF717A Does this look like a good tripod for my scope? Or, maybe this one?

Thanks,
Tammy

Last edited:
you can't go wrong with Bogen/Manfrotto stuff. For a scope that heavy I would prefer the 3130 / 128RC head to the lighter 700RC2.

since you are short and the scope is angled you can get away with a 190 series tripod, which is a bit lighter than the larger 055 models. For older Bogen versions the equivalent is 3001 series for the 190. You won't need much center column extension so the lighter 190/3001 tripod will still be plenty sturdy if you have a good tripod head.

if you are on a severe budget look on eBay, I see a lot of older Bogen 3001 series tripods all the time there and you can pick up the 3130/128RC head for around $60ish. If you can afford $200, you can usually find a 128RC bundle with a 190 series tripod for the price. If you can afford more and weight savings is imperative, you can step up to a carbon fiber tripod.

Here is an easy bundle that would work great: http://www.eagleoptics.com/tripod-kits/bogen-manfrotto/bogen-manfrotto-128rc-190xb-tripod-kit

EDIT: also if you don't need a quick release plate you can get the older Bogen 3126 head, which just has a screw lock but is very sturdy and has the same smooth fluid action as the 3130/128RC. I see multiple kits of 3001 tripod + 3126 head on eBay right now for under 100 bucks.

Last edited:
Any of the Velbon Sherpa range would be good as the 3-way Pan PH-157Q head is one of the best there is for ease of use and stability.

In-Focus sell a Delta tripod that is a re-badged Velbon with the same head. If you are only likely to birdwatch from hides then consider starting with a hide-clamp rather than a tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back