• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about filter use (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Do a lot of shooting on the beach for shorebirds and have concerns about protection front element from blowing sand on my 400 5.6 l. Anyone using this combo with any ill effects to iq? Also looking to add 100-400 but read some negatives about filter use on that particular lens, comments

Thanks
Randy

Most filter's will degrade the image but for what your talking about i would use a filter rather than risk marking the front element.

Rob.

As Rob has already mentioned, filters will certainly effect the image quality on tele lenses. If you do need a filter my only advise would be to use the very best quality one you can get.

Randy,

If you get a good quality filter, I would recommend thoroughly testing to avoid disappointment in the field.

When I first got my 100-400 I embarked on a trip to Southern Morocco and bought a filter to provide some protection however virtually none of the images are good enough other than for record shots due to a degree of "ghosting" caused by the filter.

I now never use a filter but always use the lens hood to give me some protection. If it's blowing a hoolie and there's dust and sand in the air, my camera tends to stay in the bag!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back