• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can a $300 binocular compete with a $1900 binocular ? (1 Viewer)

bh46118

The answer seems to be no. I believe the Minox is slightly more resolving of micro detail in certain instances, but the overall view of the SV is addictive. I wish I had the new Zeiss SF here to compare. If it truly is better, then why not spend a few more dollars and be done with it.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
If it truly is better, then why not spend a few more dollars and be done with it.

Because there are many who find a level of optical quality and build
that is 'good enough' for their wants and needs. Some find
it in a 300 dollar binocular and feel it a waste of their hard earned money
to spend a lot more.
You can own a nice bin for nature observation for 300 bucks these days.

Did you not read that I think the Minox has better micro detail. If you follow my posts you will see that I recently sent back the Kowa Genesis, and the 10X and 12X SE in favor of my $200 Minox.

Because there are many who find a level of optical quality and build
that is 'good enough' for their wants and needs. Some find
it in a 300 dollar binocular and feel it a waste of their hard earned money
to spend a lot more.
You can own a nice bin for nature observation for 300 bucks these days.

The answer seems to be no. I believe the Minox is slightly more resolving of micro detail in certain instances, but the overall view of the SV is addictive. I wish I had the new Zeiss SF here to compare. If it truly is better, then why not spend a few more dollars and be done with it.

Yes. Absolutely.

Why? Because with your $300 bins, you can get a scope too with what's left over. Life then is complete for the birder (Because if we are honest, these $$$$$$ top tier purchases are really for a small slice of the community, not your average birder).

The answer is no. I want to know if the Zeiss SF 8x42 is better than the Swarovski 8x32 Swarovision too. Does anybody know and I will get my pre-order in. I want the BEST.

No, if it could the market for $2-$3k bins would dry up.

The 550***/551*** 8x32SE can compete optically, (comfortably exceed) many top roofs, but then you have to accept the other shortcomings of older Porro`s, and it seems most people are`nt willing to do that nowadays.

Did you not read that I think the Minox has better micro detail. If you follow my posts you will see that I recently sent back the Kowa Genesis, and the 10X and 12X SE in favor of my $200 Minox.

I'm sorry I don't follow your posts. I was only responding with my own perspective and observations...there's
no need to become angry.

Last edited:
If it truly is better, then why not spend a few more dollars and be done with it.

Marketers would love you.

At what point would you propose it stop. If a $500 Chris Reeves sebenza folding knife is better than a $100 Benchmade Griptillian then why not just buy the sebenza, if a $160,000 Mercedes S600 is better than a $70,000 Lexus LS, then why not spend a few dollar more for the mercedes, if the $500,000 Rolls Phantom is better than a Mercedes, then just buy the Rolls and be done. If a $1,000,000 house is better than a $500,000 house, then why not by the $1,000,000 house. Okay, lets take it down a notch. If a $100 Waterford crystal hi ball glass is better than a $4 no name hi ball glass from bed bath and beyond, why not just buy the waterford and be done with it?

Like all of the above, depends on your priority.

Optics are just not important enough to me to care much one way or the other whats best.

Can a $300 compete with a $1,900 glass, be a hard road for any I have seen. Can a $600 glass compete with a $1,900. Yep, I believe most people couldnt tell the difference.

I'm a self employed millwright that risks his life every day to make a buck, so I am well aware of the value of money. I think the Zen and Minox are great for the money, and the Minox was better than anything I put it up against until the SV. Is it worth $1900 ? I'm still struggling with that myself, but over a a period of 20 years it's not that bad per year. After experiencing this level of optics, it will be hard to turn back. I call things exactly the way I see them, and the Swarovski view is a quantum leap in my opinion above the SE and Kowa Genesis. I would love to see the Nikon EDG, and a few others, but I just don't see it getting much better than this.

I give up. There is no need for me to post anything else. Just go ahead and rehash the same boring BS.

I'm sorry I don't follow your posts. I was only responding with my own perspective and observations...there's
no need to become angry.

I'm a self employed millwright that risks his life every day to make a buck, so I am well aware of the value of money. I think the Zen and Minox are great for the money, and the Minox was better than anything I put it up against until the SV. Is it worth $1900 ? I'm still struggling with that myself, but over a a period of 20 years it's not that bad per year. After experiencing this level of optics, it will be hard to turn back. I call things exactly the way I see them, and the Swarovski view is a quantum leap in my opinion above the SE and Kowa Genesis. I would love to see the Nikon EDG, and a few others, but I just don't see it getting much better than this.

Again, your priority. I've never seen a view yet that is addicting. It's a tool, I use it to see what I need to see. I dont immerse myself in the view, I immerse myself in watching a chickadee rotate a seed in his mouth, or a grackle flipping a leaf to snatch a bug.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back