• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG hinge tension...how's yours? (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Those with an EDG....how's the hinge tension on yours? Too loose? Does it bother you? Etc?

Mine has been loose since I took it out of the box brand now. It's the most loose of anything I have. This would prob be my favorite 8X BUT...

Kinda thinking about sending it back and/or trying another one...

Those with an EDG....how's the hinge tension on yours? Too loose? Does it bother you? Etc?

Mine has been loose since I took it out of the box brand now. It's the most loose of anything I have. This would prob be my favorite 8X BUT...

It can be adjusted to however you like it. It does need a two pin wrench to fit the multi holed bolt at the front of the hinge. Just unscrew the the cap at the from and you will what I mean. A local camera repair shop did mine for me.

Stan

The hinge tension is fine on my 10x32 EDG II.

To fix it yourself you have to first unscrew the Blind Cap on the front of the hinge.

You can probably tighten the hinge yourself from there. There are instructions on how to do it floating around this Forum.

If you don't want to do it call Nikon in Melville, NY and find out what you have to do to return it for a fix.

Bob

PS: You can get a pin wrench from the Garrett/Wade catalog if you like. Only opens down to 3/8th inch though.

http://www.garrettwade.com/adjustable-pin-wrench.html

Last edited:
I think there's also a grub screw you need to loosen before tightening the multi-holed bolt. With care, it should be easy enough to do.

Starting with the original HG, Nikon has tended to have the central hinge on their premium roof prism models too loose. Perhaps it's their idea of matching the smooth operating experience of their class-leading focus action.

Kimmo

It is nice to know that this is an adjustable element, though not necessarily in reach of the average consumer, due to the special tool needed. In a general sense, does the water proofing make these adjustments harder to get at? If focus play and resistance, plus hinge tension could be easily dialed in by the user, many of the ergonomic criticisms/nit picks of binoculars might no longer be an issue.

I have an EDG 7x42 (dual hinge version) and have no complaints about the hinge tension and find it just about right.

CG

Chuck:

There are some good explanations so far, on how to tighten the hinge on the EDG.

I have had to do the same, and I think I have posted about that some time ago.

These methods require a precision screwdriver set, a pin wrench and some basic
ability. This is not for everybody, so I recommend sending them into Nikon for
service.

Nikon is not alone with having hinges looser that preferred. In the past few months I have
sent back a Swarovski and Zeiss for hinge looseness.

Jerry

Chuck ...... My experience with several EDG II models is that the hinge is more on the loose side compared to other models I have.

There is s set screw that must be backed off before adjusting. Here are some threads discussing what to do. Some say it can be difficult and others say it was no problem. I concluded from only reading the posts that the secret is to use the right tools.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=240792&

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=292802& (Read the last post #14)

It requires a spanner wrench or maybe better described as a pin wrench that is commonly used with camera lens. There are a bunch on eBay. It looks to me that the pin bars must be long enough to clear the objective tubes. Also a quality screw driver (such as in a gunsmith set) is also needed.

Here is a list from eBay of the wrenches.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...r+wr.TRS0&_nkw=spanner+wrench+camera&_sacat=0

I have been wanting to tighten the hinge for some time so I just ordered this wrench. The vendor is USA based for faster shipping and this style looks to have longer pins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-DSLR-Le...837644?hash=item21214122cc:g:dkIAAOSw4CFYtQQe

Thanks for the info folks! I'm going to give it a try. I ordered the same wrench as you Bruce....thanks for the link. I'd send the EDG back to Nikon but really no telling how long it would take and now's the time I would like to use it. I'll let you know how it goes!

Not really sure why the hinge tension is so loose...

Alexis:

I think the same applies to your LX. You have to carefully pry off the
hinge cap, and use the proper tools.

Good luck.

Jerry

I am beginning to think that this is how internet legends get started so let me say something about my own experience with my 2 Nikon LXLs and 2 EDG binoculars in relation to the tightness of their center hinges.

I had no problems at all with "loose" tension on the hinges of my 8 and 10 x 32 LXLs and they got lots of use over several years. The hinges on them are still commendably firm. I did have problems with my 10x32 EDG I but it was not with the tightness of its center hinge. That binocular was replaced for me by Nikon under their warranty with a new 10x32 EDG II which I still use and it has no problems with the tightness of its center hinge. Both of their Blind Caps unscrewed easily.

As for how to adjust the tension on the center hinges of my LXLs I have no idea how to remove their blind caps. They look like they might pop off but I'm going to let well enough alone and not try to find out. :eek!:

It was pretty obvious to me that you could unscrew the ones on the EDGs that I owned and it looks from the ridges around the rim of the blind cap on my Monarch 7 8x30 that it can also be unscrewed but it is pretty tight. It's hinge is also commendably firm when being used.

Bob

PS: On March 4th past I purchased a Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 which I have been using as frequently as possible considering the lousy weather we have been having here in Pennsylvania over the last month. Its center hinge is quite firm; not at all loose, and I like it that way. Its blind cap is screwed on very tightly.

I will be giving a report on it shortly and I can say that I am very impressed with it!:t:

Last edited:
Alexis:

I think the same applies to your LX. You have to carefully pry off the
hinge cap, and use the proper tools.

Good luck.

Jerry

No, you acess the hinge tension from the top under the focus. I sent mine in for service at Nikon UK. That's what I was told and seemed to concur with what I found looking under the end hinged cap, ie no way of effecting an adjustment.

PS: On March 4th past I purchased a Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 which I have been using as frequently as possible considering the lousy weather we have been having here in Pennsylvania over the last month. Its center hinge is quite firm; not at all loose, and I like it that way. Its blind cap is screwed on very tightly.
Bob
I will be giving a report on it shortly and I can say that I am very impressed with it!:t:

Look forward to hearing about the M HG Bob.

Lee

Complete!

So I got the pin wrench YESTERDAY. Thanks Bruce for the heads up on that. A little worn out from work yesterday so I didn't mess with with it. Got up this am went straight to the small screwdriver set. Backed out the set screw, set up the pin wrench, tightened the hinge screw, screwed the set screw back in, screwed the cover back, and DONE!

Overall....pretty easy. I set it a little on the firm side....it's so much better now I can't even describe it. It's like a new binocular now and hinge tension is basically better than any I have! Thanks ALL!

Success!

Chuck ...... You beat me to the post. I also received my hinge pin wrench yesterday evening and tightened up the hinge last night after a quick trip to Harbor Freight for a new screw driver set. While you were fixing yours this morning, I was taking photos for this post. My plan was to get this posted before you started yours so the job would be easier for you. I figured it would take longer for you the get the wrench.

---------

The biggest problem I found with this little project had to deal with the set screw holding the adjustment ring in place. The set screw is recessed inside a very small diameter hole in the adjustment ring.

IMG_2291_1 Resized.jpg

My original plan was to use a quality gun smith screw driver set to loosen the set screw but the smallest flat blade was to large to fit inside the recess.

Next I attempted to use a small jewelers flat bladed screw driver but the set screw was in there so tight that I could not get it loose. The handle diameter on the jewelers screw driver was way to small to get enough torque to loosen the screw. It appears Nikon may have used a wax or some substance to help keep the screw in place.

I then went to Harbor Freight to pick up a 34 piece precision screw driver set that had a larger handle so I could get some more torque on the screw.

IMG_2299 _1 Resized.jpg

This ultimately worked. This was not the best screw driver for the job because the blade is thinner than the screw slot so there was some play. I would rather have a higher quality screw driver in the future if I can find one. One thing that helped was to move the screw out just a small amount then turn it back in. This working it slowly in and out got the screw loose without forcing things and causing damage.

After getting the screw to rotate about a third of a turn, it was loose enough to rotate without issue. I did not remove the set screw all the way, but just to the point where the top of the screw was protruding above the ring.

If you go with the Harbor Freight setup be sure an use the long extension inserted all the way into the hande. If you try to put just the blade bit into the handle, it will slip inside the chuck. It is necessary to press with some force so the blade does not jump out of the screw slot and cause damage to the screw head.

Here is the setup ....

IMG_2301_1 Resized.jpg

The blade I used was labeled "1.5" which I assume means 1.5 mm. One of the screw drivers I tried to use from the jewelers set was 1.2 and it was to wide to fit the recess. So the exact size is variable depending on the manufacturer of the screw driver. It appears anything larger than 1.5mm would not fit. Anything less than 1.0mm would be to small.

Here is the pin wrench that I got off of eBay that I mentioned in an above post. There are no instructions. It came with two small black set screws not shown in the eBay listing. I used those to lock the pins in place rather than the larger screws so that there would be extra clearance (although not necessary). That left me with two extra unused larger screws. Also of note is two of the large screws are longer than the other four. The longer screws are needed to set the top cross bar because those are longer holes.

IMG_2293_1 Resized.jpg

Tightening the adjustment ring was relatively easy. The wrench fit fairly well. It was easier to make the adjustment with the IPD adjustment of the binocular set to the most narrow position. This provided more clearance. The pin bars of the wrench were long enough so the cross members cleared the objective tubes. The fit inside the ring holes was somewhat loose, but not a problem at all. I had no issues with the wrench.

IMG_2298 Resized.jpg

On Edit: A careful look at the first photo of the adjustment ring shows that some of the small holes in the ring are machined with threads. It would be best to insert the pin bars of the wrench into the small unthreaded holes so as to not possibly damage the threads of the threaded holes.

The ring was already very snug so it did take just a little bit of pressure to rotate it. I would put pressure on the wrench till the ring moved a little and then I would check the hinge tightness. this took about three iterations before I quit. I did leave things slightly on the loose side. The ring rotated about 8 degrees total. The ring rotation direction is clockwise to tighten. Retightening the set screw was now easy.

Difficulty: It is harder than changing a light bulb but it is not that bad for anyone with basic mechanical abilities and who is careful. As mentioned in an above post, having the right tools makes things a lot easier. The other secret is to go slow and do not force anything. The only real issue I had was with the set screw and that may be unique to my unit. A proper screw driver would make that much less of an issue. Suggestions on method and a better screw driver are welcome!

The hinge tension is now much better and it was worthwhile to make the adjustment.

Last edited:
Great Stuff Bruce
Your DIY efforts took me right back to when I made a battery powered bulb indicator of when the contact-breaker points (this is pre-electronic ignition) on my Hondas and BMWs actually broke contact. The old method of noting when a slip of tobacco paper would slide back out from between the points was always very approximate due to a spike developing on one contact and an eroded pit on the other. It snagged the thin paper so you couldn't tell when electical contact was broken.

All of which has nothing to do with binoculars so I will step out of the door now.

Lee

Glad you liked the write-up Lee. You may find it useful some day should you ever end up owning an EDG. They are a most excellent binocular.

I suspect it may be a characteristic of the EDG for the hinge to loosen up over time. There is no way for me to compare how it was recently to how it was when new, but I think I would of had objections if it was that loose when it was new. It was not as tight as my seldom used 7X42 EDG-II when comparing just before the fix. Now it is a little tighter.

Assuming they do get loose over time, it is worthwhile for an owner to easily take care of the issue rather then sending it off to Nikon. It saves shipping costs, it much quicker, it eliminates shipping risks and one big advantage is the owner can adjust it to their exact personal preference.

Maybe there is an initial wearing in and all will stay the same after this adjustment. The 10X42 EDG was my primary binocular for a couple of years before going to a Zeiss SF 10X42 so it did get more use than others in the collection.

Bruce...
GREAT step by step instructions! That is a really nice job with the description and photos along with it.

My EDG II's hinge was not as tight as it should have been straight out of the box. I really don't believe it got any worse over time. I sure was glad to get it fixed!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back