• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An ID for Hugh (138mph) (1 Viewer)

harry eales

Ancient Entomologist
Hello Hugh,

I don't have a copy of Porters book on larva but to test it out, can you ID the caterpiller in the attached photographs by just using Porter? It is in the British List and was taken in Co. Durham, England.

The ruler is showing inches not cm.

All right the rest of you, get fell in and keep mum. lol.

Harry

Attachments

• BF.jpg
    BF.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 120
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Can anyone guess? Using porter I would have though Convolvulus Hawk moth. Not quite like the one pictured but fits the written description.

harry eales said:
Hello Hugh,

I don't have a copy of Porters book on larva but to test it out, can you ID the caterpiller in the attached photographs by just using Porter? It is in the British List and was taken in Co. Durham, England.

The ruler is showing inches not cm.

All right the rest of you, get fell in and keep mum. lol.

Harry
Harry,
I would have thought Convolvulus Hawk-moth a reasonable fit from the picture in the book, the description says oblique yellowish lateral stripes which has me a bit worried. But I would have suspected a hawk-moth before looking it up. I did a Google search to confirm it and came up with quite a wide range of colour schemes. I didn't try looking at any Yahoo moth groups or anything like that, there might be a reasonably good match there. I guess there is a good chance I would have posted the images had they been mine.

Yes, I id see the message pointing at it, so I was aimed at it, but the picture did stand out as suitably like your photo for me to examine it and none of the others seemed as likely.

Still, I can generally handle Shield Bugs without asking now.

Hugh

138mph said:
Harry,
I would have thought Convolvulus Hawk-moth a reasonable fit from the picture in the book, the description says oblique yellowish lateral stripes which has me a bit worried. But I would have suspected a hawk-moth before looking it up. I did a Google search to confirm it and came up with quite a wide range of colour schemes. I didn't try looking at any Yahoo moth groups or anything like that, there might be a reasonably good match there. I guess there is a good chance I would have posted the images had they been mine.

Yes, I id see the message pointing at it, so I was aimed at it, but the picture did stand out as suitably like your photo for me to examine it and none of the others seemed as likely.

Still, I can generally handle Shield Bugs without asking now.

Hugh

Hello Hugh,

I was just wondering how good Porters book was. It is a Convolvulous Hawk moth larva, (the horn on the tail is a dead giveaway) just the green form which apparently isn't shown in Porters book.

I would have thought it should have been. I wonder if the green form of the Elephant Hawk is also shown, or the black form of the Current Moth larva?

I'm glad your up to speed on the Shieldbugs, but don't let it stop you posting pictures of them.

Harry

Here's one which confused me when using the said book.

Unless I'm mistaken it's Dicallomera fascelina (Dark Tussock) . The written description says it has 4 tufts and yellow hair. The photo in the book also shows yellow hair. Mine has grey hair and 5 definite tufts. However, looking elsewhere, mine seems to be quite a common form.

Attachments

• caterpillar.jpg
    caterpillar.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
SleepyLizard said:
Here's one which confused me when using the said book.

Unless I'm mistaken it's Dicallomera fascelina (Dark Tussock) . The written description says it has 4 tufts and yellow hair. The photo in the book also shows yellow hair. Mine has grey hair and 5 definite tufts. However, looking elsewhere, mine seems to be quite a common form.

Hello Alan,

The Dark Tussock isn't at all uncommon on the Northumberland moorlands, but the specimens of larva that I come across usually have the yellow tufts. Fully grown, the main body hairs are also a dull green shade. These green hairs are cast as the caterpiller spins its silk cocoon and the hairs are incorporated into the cocoon and camouflage it perfectly to match the Heather leaves upon which it feeds.

Just a thought, but I wonder if the yellow hairs fade to whitish gray towards the end of each instar due to exposure to light, the larva do feed in very exposed positions. If you larva moults (I'm assuming you still have it) it would be worth looking to see if the fresh hairs are white or yellow.

Harry

harry eales said:
Just a thought, but I wonder if the yellow hairs fade to whitish gray towards the end of each instar due to exposure to light, the larva do feed in very exposed positions.

Or maybe it's the other way around. The photo I posted above was taken on the 25th. When I went to change it's food today (27th) I noticed the colour had changed. (see attached) This is not just a result of lighting or camera white balance. When I first tried to ID it the whole family were looking at the actual caterpillar and no one could see any yellow.

Attachments

• caterpillar2.jpg
    caterpillar2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back