• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery seabird, Finland 2016 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
This was taken by someone else in May 2016 in the Åland archipelago. Apologies for the quality, though in this case it's not my fault as I wasn't present. The picture is heavily cropped; apparently, the bird was swimming in a lagoon close to a beach.

Any ideas? As always, any help would be welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_5258a.JPG
    IMG_5258a.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 308
Does look like a tern but must be in trouble if it is - they don't swim. Could it be a preening Little Gull?

Common and Arctic Terns can both swim. In the U.K. it’s not unusual to see migrant groups of Terns land on the water (inland especially) and rest there for sometime, especially Arctic Terns.

As to this bird. Arctic or Long-tailed Skua maybe.

I'm in the Tern camp, though not sure about the exact species. With a little imagination I mean to see a fairly long black bill, so Sandwich? Still the dark back looks strange but might be a trick of the light? BTW, to me what looks like a long tail is actually one of the wings.

Last edited:
With a black cap and white cheeks?A

I'd thought maybe the bird may have had its head turned backwards, preening...and could'nt be a tern..

Common and Arctic Terns can both swim. In the U.K. it’s not unusual to see migrant groups of Terns land on the water (inland especially) and rest there for sometime, especially Arctic Terns.

Thanks - major lapse for me, I'd read or been told many years ago and believed it! And..I've never seen one swim ;)

Actually they do.

Thanks ;)

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I didn't know terns could swim.
Still skeptical about the tern suggestion though, since it seems unusual for a bird in the breeding grounds (never seen them do that, IIRC), and none of the Arctic Terns from the same series of photographs (unfortunately, the above the only picture of this particular bird) were swimming.
I was thinking of one of the smaller skuas as well, but don't have experience with them and couldn't decide on the basis of the picture. I'll ask the original photographer if he can remember any details.

A tern for me - skuas have dark underwings, so wouldn't show those white carpal joints.

As to which tern, either Common or Arctic.

Edit: terns frequently swim on/near the breeding grounds here in Northumbs., mainly for washing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back