• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron? Ibis? (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
This one has stumped me. Two of these brownish-black birds with yellowish beaks were by themselves foraging in recently upturned soil in the Sugar Cane fields (after harvesting of the cane).

About 400 yards from them were hundreds of Cattle Egrets doing the same.

I couldn't determine if the birds were Herons or some Ibis type. The beak doesn't look sufficiently curved downwards to be an Ibis, but the body shape is very Ibis like. The birds seemed between 18 and 24 inches tall.

Any ideas?

rka

Attachments

• ibis like bird cropped.jpg
    ibis like bird cropped.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 381
Well Gecsos has spoken and he is seldom, if ever, wrong.

The Limpkin is named for its odd limp like walk. According to Sibley, it is more often heard then seen so I guess you were quite fortuante.

I've seen several in Florida and (as Charles pointed out),more pale streaking on the back was apparent.It would also perhaps be larger than your estimate?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back