• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help identify (1 Viewer)

Deca

Hi All,

Please I would appreciate if anyone could help me identify this immature Hawk/Falcon (?).

It was shot (the picture) last weekend on Southern Brazil (winter here now), in the mountains at a altitude of 1.800 mts.

Any ideas?

thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• hawk3.jpg
    hawk3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Closest match I can find in my books is Spot-winged Falconet (Spiziapteryx circumcinctus) - southern Brazil into northern Argentina, but it isn't a perfect fit, and isn't a mountain bird either, mainly in the Chaco

Trouble is, the book I have (Lynx Handbook of the birds of the World) only shows adults, not immatures.

Hey Charles, I think he means shot with a camera ;)

Michael

Welcome to Bird Forum, Deca and hope that somebody can help you out with the identification of this bird. Brazil must be simply fantastic for birding, with 99% of species completely unfamiliar to European birders.

And Michael, I think that "he" is a "she."

E

thanks all! Yes, I mean the picture was shot , not the bird! (I just corrected the text :$)

Sorry about the language mistake :(

Michael I will do some research on Spot-winged Falconet , thank you very much for the help!
Deca

Hi Deca,

I've been reading up a bit more myself, and I'm fairly sure it isn't a Spot-winged Falconet after all. What it is, I can't say as I have no access to good information on immature raptors in Brazil

Michael

How about immature Roadside Hawk? The breast is streaked, but the rest of the underparts are barred. What else looks like that? The tail pattern also looks good. The head pattern is a little strong, but there are 17 subspecies of Roadside Hawk and it wouldn't surprise me if the head pattern varies.

I am not afraid of saying imm. Roadside Hawk (I think somebody else already said it). It is common "down here", and the variation is even fairly big within the ssp´s. Especially note the way the barring ends abruptly, and becomes streaks on the throat. The jizz also fits perfectly (even though this is obviously not something you can use to id it with, without other features).

From another birder having the great pleasure of birding Brazil. However, it is going to be WAY easier when "a real" (sorry, "All the Birds of Brazil" is a start, but nothing more) Brazilian guide comes out...we a are waiting Whittaker!

Last edited:
Note on Spot-winged Falconet

- And a comment...the Spot-winged Falconet is totally different in jizz (and not at least coloration, my knowledge of it as immature is limited, though). It has a massive head compared to the body, nothing like a hawk (or anything else in this region for that matter).

Thanks a lot jmorlan and Ramus,

I think you got it!

This winter in this region I go, we were able to observe a couple of Hawks and Falcon were not normally seen there in previous years in that region.

They started to show in late May are still there...hopefully they will stay.

Here are some examples of the "New Kids on the Block" (I'm trying to get better pictures).

The one on the left seems to me to be a Roadside Hawk in a ackward position, on the right I believe it's a Barred Forest-falcon (Micrastur ruficollis concentricus). But I am not sure....

Thanks again for all help!

Attachments

• hawkfalc.jpg
    hawkfalc.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 381
First, sorry for bumping this old thread, but I've discovered a mis-id.

The last two photos posted by Deca BOTH show a Road-side Hawk, and NOT as proposed a Hook-billed Kite. Bill is all wrong (colour+size). Yes, the bill on the bird on the photo to the right does appear somewhat "long", but I've seen several Roadside Hawk's in Brazil that looked similar. The "striped" pattern on the underparts generally goes higher up (often all the way to the throat) in the Hook-billed Kite. Finally note that the two birds lack the "long jizz" of Hook-billed.

Left bird is a perfect adult Roadside Hawk sub-species magniplumis (the ssp. found in most of southern Brazil incl. the states RJ and SP). Right bird probably also adult, but could be immature.

Here's some photos of Brazilian Roadside Hawks:

http://www.arthurgrosset.com/sabirds/roadside hawk.html

Also see (non-Brazilian):

http://home.hccnet.nl/r.goedegebuur/roofvog/wegbuizerde.html

Last edited:
Hi Ramus!

Thanks a lot again for your help! To add some pepper in this discussion...;) Some months later, on the same place, after a very strong rain I saw this hawk (Savanna Hawk -Heterospizias meridionalis - or Buteogallus meridionalis) that I believe is the hawk of the 1st message a few months older....

What do you all think? Can this be the same hawk?

Many many thanks!
Deca

Attachments

• savhawk2.jpg
    savhawk2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 223
  • savhawk.jpg
    savhawk.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 198
Nope, the first photos in this thread certainly show a Roadside Hawk (note the markings on the underparts). The two new photos of a Savanna Hawk shows a juvenile as you surely knows. Could be mistaken for juv. Black-colared Hawk, but cere colour rules it out. Nice photos!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back