• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemites out of alignment! (1 Viewer)

nctexasbirder

young birder
i discovered that my Yosemites are indeed out of collimation...i have been really careful with them...never dropped them. Will Leupold repair them or replace them? now to tell my mother... :eek!:

nctexasbirder said:
i discovered that my Yosemites are indeed out of collimation...i have been really careful with them...never dropped them. Will Leupold repair them or replace them? now to tell my mother... :eek!:

Leupold will repair the Yosemites for you, you may want to give their Customer Service a call (800-LEU-POLD) first to see how they'd like you to send them in.

Your experience with the Yosemites is fairly typical of many porro prism binocular users - it can seem like nothing has happened to jar them out of alignment and yet there they are - out of alignment!

My guess is Leupold will certainly take good care of your binoculars, and who knows, maybe they could tell your mom too!

Jason

This is a quality control problem and can be expected in all inexpensive binoculars like your Yosemite. Costs must be cut somewhere, so I doubt that the prisms have been enclosed in cages bolted inside the binoculars barrels. More likely they are glued in place. It might be cheaper for Leupold send you a new replacement binocular after they have analyzed what went wrong. Their optics are excellent but there may still be bugs to workout in their manufacture. If Leupold's goal is to make a family binocular that kids can use then it would be sensible to make its durabilty a major manufacturing concern.
Bob

Last edited:
Is it just porro prism bins that are so vulnerable to being knocked out of alignment?,or are similarly priced roofs also vulnerable to this damage.

Hope you get those binocs sorted out soon btw,

Matt

I took a cheap pair of roofs apart, and the prisms were indeed mostly glued in place in the middle. There were some tiny metal plates as well, with holes for the light. Wiggling around with a scewdriver easily pried them apart and I shook the pieces out of the tube. The gluing can come apart, but if you shook them around for a year, I think they would easily last 5 years as well. If they fall apart, they do that very soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back