• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brding Laos & Thailand (1 Viewer)

streatham

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for Birding in either Thailand or Laos. Actually it's my brother whose heading there and for some weird reason he wanted some info on where to watch birds there. As shocked as I was by his request (he's not a birder), I decided that his interest needs to be fostered. Can anybody recommend good sites or guide services - I would imagine he would be more interested in birdy places or spectacular birds rather than rare/ drab or difficult to find or access endemics - any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - Luke

Khao Yai National park about 1.5 hours from Bangkok would be a good starting place - a great national park with monkeys and elephants to boot and a Tiger if you're extremely lucky. There are loads of birds in there and spectacular stuff like hornbill flocks too......

if he wants to be guided i think there's a company called NatureTrails that are Thai-based and have a good reputation

Thanks for the advice Hanno & Tim - All looks very useful - should have looked a little harder on here first I guess Steve. Is the 'Craig Robson: A Guide to the Birds of Southeast Asia' the one to buy or do you have other recommendations?

streatham said:
Thanks for the advice Hanno & Tim - All looks very useful - should have looked a little harder on here first I guess Steve. Is the 'Craig Robson: A Guide to the Birds of Southeast Asia' the one to buy or do you have other recommendations?
If only Thailand is visited, definitely Robson's Thai book, not SE Asia. Pros: bird picture + text on same double page, plus distribution maps (which SE Asia lacks) and more comfortable number of species.

Yes Craig's bok is the one to take - if you don't mind buying two - the SE Asia guide is excellent and will come in useful in Laos. You could perhaps get away with the SE Asia guide if you know your stuff already but for a 'beginner' the Thai guide will be useful but not sufficient to cover Laos as well which has some good birds too.....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back