• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help disassemble 8x30 (1 Viewer)

lledwod

help disassemble 8x30 wf thanks

Attempting a little maintenance to my 8x30WF Nikons. I purchased these new about 20 years ago. I sent them to Nikon service Canada due to the broken arm and Nikon said they didn't have the spare part. I'm not impressed! So why not attempt something myself? Probably cost more to fix them than it would to buy a decent replacement. But my problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the left ocular for cleaning. I hope some one on here has an easy answer for me!
Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a3fe.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a3fe.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_1004.JPG
    DSC_1004.JPG
    517.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_1005.JPG
    DSC_1005.JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_1006.JPG
    DSC_1006.JPG
    500.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_1008.JPG
    DSC_1008.JPG
    621.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Attempting a little maintenance to my 8x30WF Nikons. I purchased these new about 20 years ago. I sent them to Nikon service Canada due to the broken arm and Nikon said they didn't have the spare part. I'm not impressed! So why not attempt something myself? Probably cost more to fix them than it would to buy a decent replacement. But my problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the left ocular for cleaning. I hope some one on here has an easy answer for me!
Thanks in advance,
Jonathan
This is Nikon Canada policy.
http://en.nikonsportoptics.ca/service-and-support/warranty.page
"Nikon Canada is dedicated to quality, performance and total customer satisfaction. If your Nikon Binocular, Riflescope or Fieldscope requires service or repair not covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty, just send it to us and Nikon Canada will repair or replace it."

Please let us know how it all works out!

Indeed Nikon did offer to replace the 8x30 wf, but I preferred to keep them, as they covered a lot of ground with me over 12 years or so. Besides I felt the replacement offered was a down grade. (I can't remember what was offered, that was about 4 years ago)

OK I persevered and got both ocular assemblies apart and cleaned. They both had a lot of dust between the lenses. The rh body with the broken 'ocular arm' was dusty inside, the lh not bad. The epoxied arm works for now, though I doubt it would take any rough use. But for now, they are sitting on the window ledge, and MUCH the better for being cleaned, focusing properly, and as delightful to look through as I remember! This has been my 1st attempt to delve into maintenance, cleaning or repair of a pair of binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back