• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 pairs of bins on one outing? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Just want to know if anyone else does this....I tried it today. I was out all day and the terrain involved some close work (8x, wide FOV required) and some medium-range stuff (handy 12x36 IS required) and some longer distances (30xw ED82A with Cleyspy Mule, courtesy of HE2, on back). For the 8x30, I chose my beloved EII´s, which rarely see action. But they´re very light. I found that the 8x30 EII´s and the IS 12x36 around my neck, and the ED82 on the Cleyspy Mule on my back, balanced each other out as regards weight, and weren´t a problem. I was wandering around an estuary walk, a saltmarsh, and a very long beach for a total of 7 hours and didn´t get neckstrain. I´m sure it was optics over-kill, but does anyone else carry both 8x and 10-or-12x bins plus a scope? (Please don´t tell me I need a pair of Duovids!;)). BTW, I saw my first Twite. And dipped on lots of other stuff. But had a really nice day.

I've done this.

The combo is 6x30 (Yosemite) for woodland/reeds slung on the neck and a 10x (EO Raptor 10x42 porro) worn bandolier/sash style for distance shorebirds and raptors. I'm usually wandering through woodland and freshwater or saltwater marsh with this combo.

I didn't bring a scope with me ... silly because the 10x weren't enough to help me identify one particular sandpiper on that outing. I should have brought a scope ;)

The 12x IS sounds like a nice instrument for that distance usage. I've though about trying a Pentax HR 12x42 (cheap sale from Eagle Optics) perhaps on a monopod or using a "poor mans Steadcam" system.

The Leupold SwitchPower is a cheaper (but not cheap!) alternative to the Duovid. But it's lighter than my All up weight of about 42oz.

The other alternative would be a 8x plus a lower power lightweight scope (Nikon 50ED) or something that gets down into the teens magnification and perhaps up to 30x.

The other alternative would be a 8x plus a lower power lightweight scope (Nikon 50ED) or something that gets down into the teens magnification and perhaps up to 30x.

I have an ED50, but I needed a lot of light-gathering power today as I was looking for a Forster´s Tern at an evening gull-roost. So I took my bigger scope. What we really need is Native Bearers.

I usually take one pair on any one loop. I have two in the car on any trip.

When there just are not that many birds, I may compare two pairs. I only have two 10x, and those two are quickly compared, almost the same.

Mostly it requires a back pack, unless one pair is really small.

The most I have carried were twow pair and a scope and a monopod. My scope will work on a monopod in a pinch, at 20x.

Hello Sancho,

My modus operandi generally consists of a 7x42 and a 10x32, both roof prism glasses. The 10x32 is truly compact and sits in my haversack, until needed. If I did not take two binoculars, I would use just an 8x32 or 8x40.

However, when I go to the shore, I carry the 8x32 and a 12x50 on a monopod. The open spaces are so much larger than those on my local patch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

For us, it is generally 3 bins for my wife and me. Now that she has 8X33 Minox of her own, that's what she's most likely to carry. I've just begun with 8X42 Kowa's that were out on our walk this afternoon. I also carry 10X43 Pentax DCF SP's in a belt pack when distances get longer. We sometimes carry a fixed 30X spotter (Burris 60mm fixed that is surprisingly good) if I elect to carry a backpack. Today we were at a favorite park requiring a mile or so walk in but the views of shore birds, mountains and marsh birds is well worth any effort. Even in rain and clouds, it was a wonderful day.

I've carried an Opticron HR WP 8x42 and an Olympus PC I 8x25, both round my neck, the 8x42 on a long strap, the 8x25 on a short. It worked okay, but I felt a bit silly.

Michael

It worked okay, but I felt a bit silly.

Michael
LOL! Yeah, I think I was getting funny looks yesterday from the few people on the beach. Maybe they thought I was a Mendicant Optics Salesman. But I´m glad to hear other people do sometimes carry 2 pairs of bins, and that there is a logic to it. (Mind you I don´t quite understand why you needed 2 pairs of 8x, Michael...unless you simply like them that much!!!;))

(Please don´t tell me I need a pair of Duovids!;)).

Sancho!
I think you need one of these:

(I didn't say Duo...)

Only seven weeks to go, and - remember! - Santa is not going to bring a new EL. ;);)

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 152
Thanks Tom! Not sure I could live with the narrow FOV. Only 6.7 degrees at 8x. ...

you mean you'd refuse to accept it?
I'll send you an adhesive label with my postal address. Attach it to the parcel, please, before you give it back to Santa. (I'm not quite sure if I could live with the weight of these bricks; they are as heavy as a 56 mm bino, if I am not wrong).

A bino weight-watcher,
Tom

(Mind you I don´t quite understand why you needed 2 pairs of 8x, Michael...)
The Olympus has a close focus of about 1.5m, which makes it better for looking at insects and flowers. In fact I even prefer it for further away close-ups. The reverse porro effect (which makes things seem bigger even though they're not—so they tell me) gives a very nice close viewing experience. During the summer I looked at a Field Cuckoo Bumblebee through both bins. The Opticron was very good, but the Olympus gave me the feeling of looking through a powerful telescope. Of course, I misidentified the bee, partly due to the overestimation of its size. But I'm that's a problem I'm happy to have.

Michael

Sancho!
I think you need one of these:

(I didn't say Duo...)

Only seven weeks to go, and - remember! - Santa is not going to bring a new EL. ;);)

You don't want them... there's big holes in it - that'll let in light and all the bits will fall out! ;)

'Only' have one pair of binoculars so couldn't carry more if I wanted to, but I do often carry my binoculars and an SLR with tele-zoom fitted.

You don't want them... there's big holes in it - that'll let in light and all the bits will fall out! ;)

'Only' have one pair of binoculars so couldn't carry more if I wanted to, but I do often carry my binoculars and an SLR with tele-zoom fitted.

I saw a real cutaway (Leitz?) bin recently offered for sale on a collectors web site and exactly the same thoughts went through my mind (more along the lines of "that'll have some stray light issues").

On the upside it's a bit lighter.

All bins are compromises ;)

I saw a real cutaway (Leitz?) bin recently offered for sale on a collectors web site and exactly the same thoughts went through my mind (more along the lines of "that'll have some stray light issues").
On the upside it's a bit lighter.

All bins are compromises ;)

I've heard some of these models may have problems with the water-proofing. Is it true?
Experts on holes in binos, please!

T

Attachments

• S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 113
  • S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 113
  • S3.jpg
    S3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 115
My thoughts and one question:
8x42 for everyday birding.
10x56 if weight is no issue.
8x32 for cycling.

question:
I am going to India (south and north) for 5 weeks in februari.
I was thinking at taking my Zeiss 7x42 and ED50 scope...
Some swear only taking their 10x42...

My thoughts are that the 7x42 is perfect for the forest birding (main targets are in the woods), and the scope for some mid-of-the-day waders, birds of prey, etc. in the open areas/marshes/big rivers/mountains... My fear is that a scope will slower down the birding pace (also have a camera with 300mm f4 lens)...

question:
I am going to India (south and north) for 5 weeks in februari.
I was thinking at taking my Zeiss 7x42 and ED50 scope...
Some swear only taking their 10x42...

My thoughts are that the 7x42 is perfect for the forest birding (main targets are in the woods), and the scope for some mid-of-the-day waders, birds of prey, etc. in the open areas/marshes/big rivers/mountains... My fear is that a scope will slower down the birding pace (also have a camera with 300mm f4 lens)...

Whether you take a 7x42 or 8x42 (or even a 10x42) as your primary bino, I'd think the scope would be an excellent tool and get a lot of use, especially if many birds are new to you. The 10x42 is no substitute for a 30x scope. If the pace is slowed it will be because you will be able to ID birds that the others have to forgo.

--AP

... My fear is that a scope will slower down the birding pace (also have a camera with 300mm f4 lens)...
You must bring your ED50....that´s its purpose, it´s been waiting for just this moment to give it a Meaning! Seriously, I imagine you´d regret not having it with you....

You must bring your ED50....that´s its purpose, it´s been waiting for just this moment to give it a Meaning! Seriously, I imagine you´d regret not having it with you....

Gotta agree with Sancho. The Nikon 50ED is made for this.

Slowing up the birding? You are going to be miffed when you miss one on a lake that you can't ID because you can't get the field mark in the bins.

The other side to the trick is what tripod/monopod you will bring and how you will carry it. Getting that right seems to make all the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back