• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scolopaci (1 Viewer)

Pluvialis

Incl. Scolopaci:

Anders Ödeen, Olle Håstad, and Per Alström
Evolution of ultraviolet vision in shorebirds (Charadriiformes)
Biol. Lett. June 23, 2010 6:370-374
Abstract
Electronic supplementary material

Non-monophyletic origin of Charadriidae

By Ödeen et al Charadriidae is polyphyletic (or paraphyletic) if Pluvialis is considered to be a member of Charadriidae

Similar results:
- Ericson, Envall, Irestedt & Norman, 2003. Inter-familial relationships of the shorebirds (Aves: Charadriiformes) based on nuclear DNA sequence data. BMC Evolutionary Biology 2003, 3:16.
Full paper

- Baker, Pereira & Paton, 2007. Phylogenetic relationships and divergence times of Charadriiformes genera: multigene evidence for the Cretaceous origin of at least 14 clades of shorebirds. Biol. Lett. (2007) 3, 205–209.
Full paper

- Fain & Houde, 2007. Multilocus perspectives on the monophyly and phylogeny of the order Charadriiformes (Aves). BMC Evolutionary Biology 2007, 7:35.
Full paper

Gibson & Baker

Gibson 2010. Phylogenetic relationships among the Scolopaci (Aves: Charadriiformes): Implications for the study of behavioural evolution. Here
Gibson & Baker (in press). Multiple gene sequences resolve phylogenetic relationships in the shorebird suborder Scolopaci (Aves: Charadriiformes). Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]

Polynesian sandpipers

Cibois, Dekker, Pasquet & Thibault (in press). New insights into the systematics of the enigmatic Polynesian sandpipers Aechmorhynchus parvirostris and Prosobonia leucoptera. Ibis. [abstract]

AOU-SACC Proposal #546 (Remsen, Sep 2012): Resurrect Chubbia.

[As John Boyd (TiF): www.jboyd.net/Taxo/List8.html#scolopacidae]

Cox1 sequences suggest that G. undulata is still closer to Coenocorypha than G. (Chubbia) imperialis, thus resurrecting Chubbia seems unlikely to solve the problem...
(With the exception of these two, "large southern" Gallinago are basically unsampled in phylogenetic studies. Lymnocryptes, however, is clearly not embedded in Gallinago, as sampled up to now.)

(I have significant problems with the data in Gibson & Baker 2012.)

I've attached a cox1 ML consensus tree (all Charadriiformes), if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• cox1-Charadriif-consensus.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 248
Has G. p. magellanica (Magellanic Snipe) been sampled relative to the rest of South American Snipe?

thanks
Niels

South American Snipe

Has G. p. magellanica (Magellanic Snipe) been sampled relative to the rest of South American Snipe?

There are 5 birds labelled Gallinago paraguaiae in BOLD, 3 from Corrientes, N Argentina, 1 from Rio Grande do Sul, S Brasil, and 1 from Guyana.
These have all very similar barcodes.

But this record in BOLD (not included in the tree I posted the other day; record not ID'd, but it is the only record in its BIN, and the BIN is labelled "Gallinago gallinago"; from Neuquen, C Argentina, in May) is most likely a magellanica.
The sequence is basal in the Common Snipe group, like those of paraguaiae, but it differs from the latters by a bit more than 2% (see attachment).

(There are also two divergent (~3% divergence) cyt-b sequences of Gallinago paraguaiae in GenBank (FJ603655 and JQ963047), a situation that normally should suggest divergence exists within this taxon. But these two were apparently obtained from the same voucher specimen ("L50137", Brazil), which is, well, kind of a problem...;))

L -

Attachments

• cox1-Scolopacid-all-consensus.pdf
    10.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
South American Snipe

Jaramillo 2003 (Birds of Chile) comments:
Preliminary analysis of sounds produced by southern magellanica compared to more northern paraguaiae demonstrate that the two have significantly different winnowing displays. The level of difference is as great as in other species pairs of Gallinago. Puna Snipe is also different, corroborating more recent recognition of this as a species. Further analyses and vocal data will likely confirm species-level differences between magellanica and paraguaiae. The Falklands population has yet to be subjected to vocal analysis.
AOU-SACC: "proposal badly needed."

"And what about nobilis?"

My experience of this bird is a morphologically pretty typical, diurnal (not nocturnal), wetland inhabiting Gallinago sort of Snipe. But you never know what mtDNA will turn up.

In the SACC proposal to resurrect Chubbia it states there is no reason why some snipe would not converge on “woodcockness”, and in fact there may be a continuum between the two groups in ecology and morphology. And, I favor resurrecting Chubbia because I think that the limited data so far puts the burden-of-proof on the position that merges it into Chubbia, especially because no explicit rationale was published for its merger into Gallinago. De Schauensee did not give a rational for the merger but in 1968 Jehl gave a good rational, I think. And it revolves around convergence.

R E L AT I O N S H I PS IN THE CHARADRII (SHOREBIRDS):

A TAXONOMIC STUDY BASED ON COLOR PATTERNS OF THE DOWNY YOUNG

Joseph Jehl Jr. SAN DIEGO SOCIETY OF NATURAL HISTORY MEMOIRS

Memoir 3, pages 1-54, figures 1-31,

Issued September 30, 1968

I follow De Schauensee (1966) in merging Chubbia with Gallinago. The idea of close affinity between Gallingo and Scolopax is of long standing. Adults of these genera are morphologically similar and several South American species of Gallinago (stricklandii.janies- oni, imperialis) that were formerly placed in Chubbia (Peters, 1934) seem to bridge the gap neatly between the longer-legged, slender snipe and the squat, robust woodcocks. Yet, chicks of
Scolopax and GalUnago are dissimilar. The close relationship of these genera is so widely accepted that the lack of similarity in their chicks may
indicate little more than the danger of relying on too few characters in determining relationships. Since snipe tend to nest in marshy areas and
woodcocks in forested regions, some differences in chick patterns might be predicted. However, in view of the similarity of downy patterns within
other wader subfamilies, it is somewhat disturbing to find that nowhere among the snipe and their allies are there downy patterns that even vaguely
approximate that of Scolopax. and, furthermore, that the variation in snipe and woodcock downy plumage is insufficient to give any clues to how one
plumage pattern could have been evolved from the other. This transformation is far more difficult to achieve than reference to the pattern diagrams
might suggest, for it requires extensive changes in color and feather structure as well as in pattern icf. Figs. 2 M, N; 16, 17). On the other hand, it requires little imagination to visualize the evolution of a
Scolopax pattern from that of a tringine sandpiper.

Although Scolopax and Gallinago can be pre- sumed to have arisen from a common ancestor, which may have been tringine, the great differences between their chicks suggest that these genera are more distantly related than is currently recognized. Pending a re-examination of these rela- tionships I suggest that a separate subfamily, Gallinagoninae, be established for the snipe and their allies. This separation has also been suggested by Verheyen (1958a) on the basis of osteological characters as well as chick plumages.
The chicks of species formerly assigned to Chubbia are typically snipelike. I interpret the similarities between the adults and Scolopax as convergent. These woodcock-like snipe occur only in South America, where the most extensive snipe radiation has taken place; woodcocks, in spite of their otherwise widespread distribution, are ab- sent from that continent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back