• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Congratulations to all at Middleton - the RSPB design it to attract Bitterns and get Avocets instead! 8-P Wonder if they will firmly establish themselves and grow to a colony the size of Upton Warren's?

The pair of Avocets and their 3 chicks were showing near the hide this afternoon. Anxious moments though as a large fox apperared on one of the islands directly in front of the hide and about 100m from the chicks and their parents. The fox then caught and ate an Adult Black Headed Gull despite being mobbed by other Gulls. A swan then had a go at it which pushed it away to the North and mercifully away from the Avocet family. It disappeared from view not to be seen again but it is a worrying incident.

I'm having a go at phonescoping so here's a couple I took this afternoon. Unfortunately the Avocet's weren't that cooperative so I was unable to get a full complement in one picture.

Steve

Last edited:
The reserve is looking good now, today was the first time I've been for ages.

I don't know about the fox, the immature LBB Gull was causing havoc among the nesting Black-heads.

Don't know how to post all the pics at the same time, so here's one at a time...

Steve,
You can post up to five pics per post. You just follow the same procedure for each pic. i.e manage attachments, browse, select and upload. If you have the software you can create a collage of pics, but they will appear smaller, so I recommend keeping them as singles and posting five. Hope this helps.

Sedgley Birder:t:

Steve,
You can post up to five pics per post. You just follow the same procedure for each pic. i.e manage attachments, browse, select and upload. If you have the software you can create a collage of pics, but they will appear smaller, so I recommend keeping them as singles and posting five. Hope this helps.

Sedgley Birder:t:

Cheers mate, thanks

Just as a matter of interest.......how has Middleton pools found its way into the West Midlands forum when part of it is in Warks and the rest of it in Staffs?

Just as a matter of interest.......how has Middleton pools found its way into the West Midlands forum when part of it is in Warks and the rest of it in Staffs?

I assume it's because it falls into the geographical region covered by the West Midland Bird Club and defined in the Birds of the West Midlands (1982) and the New Birds of the West Midlands (2005) which takes into account the Character of England map produced by English Nature and the Countryside Agency. In other words it's a geographic area rather than a geopolitical area. "The West Midland Region...comprises Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and the former county of the West Midlands" (Quoted from New Birds of the West Midlands introduction).
Hope that's helpful and that it doesn't sound too pompous!

All the best

Steve

Nice combo with a larger objective lens - i'm using a compact Opticron MM3 50mm with an iphone4 and Opticrons' own adapter, very acceptable results and a cheap way to capture images altho not as easily usable as a camera...

Laurie:t:

Nice combo with a larger objective lens - i'm using a compact Opticron MM3 50mm with an iphone4 and Opticrons' own adapter, very acceptable results and a cheap way to capture images altho not as easily usable as a camera...

Laurie:t:

Yeah, there's no doubt phonescoping is fiddlier than using a camera, but if the conditions are right and particularly if you are in a hide you can get good results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back