• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

2 Greenshank now – one at West screen and one still in the same position on NP. Also on JW were 5 Blackwits, 20+ Ringed Plover, 1 Redshank, 2 Dunlin and an Adult Avocet. On NP 1 Redshank, 4 LRP and an Adult Avocet with the 2 Chicks which are growing well now. 150 Sand Martin and 7 Oystercatcher through.

Picture below is West Screen Greenshank

Steve

Attachments

• Greenshank.jpg
    Greenshank.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 103
I've only ever seen Terns perched up on this stick in the middle of JW but this was impressive on both legs but even more so when it switched to one. This stick is just slightly thicker than a garden cane.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 116
Highlights today in the drizzle were, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 7 Oystercatcher, 4 Avocet including the 2 young, 2 Redshank, 6 Ringed Plover, 35 Common Tern, 3 Little Egret and 2 or 3 broods of Tufted Duck.
Geoff

Two year ticks today, 3 Ruddy Shelduck on the JWs and a Spotted Flycatcher was reported by the farm per SC. Also seen were 2 Black-tailed Godwit on JWs and on the Hall Lake were 4 Green Sandpiper and a Common Sandpiper.
Geoff

This afternoon there were 4 Green Sandpipers and a Redshank on the Hall Lake. 2 Black-tailed Godwit and 2 Common Sandpipers on JWs. 2 Little Egret and I Green Sandpiper on the North Pit. The 2 adult Avocet were doing their thing seeing off other birds on the North Pit but the Juveniles were out of sight. Loads of Common Terns everywhere and quite a few Oystercatchers too. Geoff saw a family of Mink between the screens - I'm sure he'll put a report on here soon. By the way, when I left at about 5:50 the gate into the carpark was locked but I was able to exit via the old entrance which is now equipped with that device which means that you can drive over it in one direction only.

All the best

Steve

............about 5:50 the gate into the carpark was locked but I was able to exit via the old entrance which is now equipped with that device which means that you can drive over it in one direction only.

Steve

After I had a dig at the RSPB last week for locking up the car park in the evenings I now believe the decision is totally justified. It was unlocked last night and when I arrived back at 9 pm, soaked through and no Ruddy Shelduck tick, the car park was being trashed by the boy racers performing doughnuts.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" so I'm prepared to park elsewhere if that's what is required to protect this asset.

I have a photo of the main offenders car including number plate if it's of interest to the RSPB.

Steve

Geoff saw a family of Mink between the screens - I'm sure he'll put a report on here soon.

All the best

Steve

The Mink were the highlight for me today, only my second sighting for here, there were 5 in total, I presume 1 female and 4 large kits they were walking along the track between the screens at the JWs and came within 8 feet of me before veering off into the undergrowth. Nice to see but they could be a problem for other wildlife I suppose? Probably no worse than Crows, Foxes and Badgers though.
Geoff

The autumn passage is picking up, 26 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Greenshank, 1 Dunlin, 1 Snipe, 4 Ringed Plover, 3 Avocet (2 juveniles now flying), 3 Redshank, 1 Green Sandpiper plus Oystercatcher, Lapwing and a Hobby were all seen around JWs and NP today.
KT had 9 Siskin over the canal meadow.
Geoff

I see that an Otter and 2 cubs have also been seen lately, much bigger and ferocious than any Mink.

There's evidence from other areas where both Mink are present and Otter have moved back in, the Mink have declined or even disappeared. Presumably this is due to predation by the much larger Otters.

Let's hope this will be the case here.

All I could find on my way up this evening were 2 Blackwits on the river screen pool. On the way back down a further 7 dropped in on JW. The 3 Avocet flew from NP to the river screen pool. There only appears to be one adult now.

Didn't see Greenshank and the only other birds of note were 2 Redshank.

Steve

The New Reedbed Pool was very good for waders a few years ago but the water levels have risen since then. Attempts were made to lower the levels a year ago by syphoning the water out but the syphon wouldn't work. However if the RSPB want to do well in the Golden Welly competition we need to get the levels down again (would likely get a Spotted Crake as well).
Another attempt with a hosepipe and a water pump would be worth trying.
Geoff

I see that an Otter and 2 cubs have also been seen lately, much bigger and ferocious than any Mink.

Indeed although it's probably the dog otter that the mink need to worry about more than a female with cubs whose first instincts will be to protect her cubs by moving them away from potential danger. The dog otter's territory will probably be something like 10 miles long so the chances of the mink falling foul of him are quite small. Which is why we're not really seeing a big decline in mink numbers even though otters are now back on our rivers.

Today's birds, 1 Hobby, 4 Oystercatcher, 3 Avocet, 1 Ringed Plover, 3 LRP, 9 Black-tailed Godwit, 5 Green Sandpiper HL, 1 Dunlin and 1 Grasshopper Warbler singing.
Geoff

10 Black-tailed Godwit, Green Sandpiper, 3 Redshank on JWs this afternoon. A Grasshopper Warbler reeling on the path between JWs and North Pit and a family of 7 Shelduck on Fishers Mill. I didn't see any rings on the Blackwits but most of them were in deep water.
All the best
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back