• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Highlights this afternoon were 1 Bar-headed Goose, 1 Pintail, 1 Pochard, 5 Goosander on the river, 1 Hobby, 1 Peregrine, 1 Snipe, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Wood Sandpiper and 1 Common Sandpiper, all waders were on NP.
The monthly list is up to 73 species.
Geoff.

Highlights this afternoon were 1 Bar-headed Goose, 1 Pintail, 1 Pochard, 5 Goosander on the river, 1 Hobby, 1 Peregrine, 1 Snipe, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Wood Sandpiper and 1 Common Sandpiper, all waders were on NP.
The monthly list is up to 73 species.
Geoff.

Hope you don't feel tempted to include that Bar-headed Goose on the All-Dayer list Geoff (however hard going it gets ) ;)

Good luck to all taking part tomorrow - hopefully one of the sites will break the 90 species mark

Attached is my sighting list plus a few others I bumped into this morning. I've put it in the Upton Warren format and currently stands at 68. I've left plenty for the A team to go at this afternoon.

Whilst there a couple of guys reported a large flock of Fieldfare feeding in the hedge on the access track near the Villa training ground. All I could find when I left was a large flock of Starlings in the vicinity.

Steve

Attachments

• Autumn All-day Check List.xlsx
    19.5 KB · Views: 52
Attached is my sighting list plus a few others I bumped into this morning. I've put it in the Upton Warren format and currently stands at 68. I've left plenty for the A team to go at this afternoon.

Whilst there a couple of guys reported a large flock of Fieldfare feeding in the hedge on the access track near the Villa training ground. All I could find when I left was a large flock of Starlings in the vicinity.

Steve
Hi Steve, all I can add to the list is Water Rail, Stock Dove, Jay, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Garden Warbler taking it to 74.
Geoff

Hi Steve, all I can add to the list is Water Rail, Stock Dove, Jay, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Garden Warbler taking it to 74.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff

It was a slow old morning taking me over 3 hours to find my first Warbler. All we need now is for Periwinkle to find 17 this afternoon and we've won.

Sorry - Carl's post dropped in as I posted this one. Good to meet you to Carl this morning. Its good to put a face to Onionsargey.

List updated an re-attached

Steve

Attachments

• Autumn All-day Check List.xlsx
    19.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
do you think this is a Garganey? The bill doesn't look quite right to me.

Carl

I've put a question mark against Garganey in the list although it's currently in the total. It's not just the beak that bothers me but the feathers look Mallardy. But then I'm no expert so will leave the ID to those more qualified.

Steve

Phil

Some excellent totals there. We were well off the pace then. I should have done the afternoon session when it warmed up a bit. That's the last time I take notice of one of your weather forecasts (joke).

Steve

I did say it would be brighter in the afternoon ;) I think all three sites were surprised by the size of their totals given the lack of wader and tern passage and only a sprinkling of passerines on the move.

Just been down to pick a few blackberries (strictly no bird watching) and managed my bogey bird - Lesser Whitethroat (where Geoff said it would be) and on the way back there was a Spotted Flycatcher in the paddock oak tree near to the feeders.

Steve

do you think this is a Garganey? The bill doesn't look quite right to me.

You wouldn't be the only one thinking this is a 'garganey' type duck. There are many female mallard that show pale loral spots and dark lower cheek line. This combined with a strong supercillium and black eye stripe can initially give a garganey appearance, but generally most female mallard will have orange in bill to varying degrees. However occasionally some have grey bills and when seen in isolation and no idea of size and especially in wing moult, closer inspection is needed.B :)john

Water levels slowly dropping revealing a bit more mud on JW but the Waders are still preferring the west side of North Pit with one each of Wood, Green & Common Sandpiper all together. Single Pintail on JW and Wheatear between the two screens (looked like Saturday's bird). Hobby on Fishers Mill.

Bittern reported today on the sightings board.

No shooting from the Doshill side tonight which has been a regular annoyance on a Tuesday night throughout the summer.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back