• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picidae (1 Viewer)

Lammertink, Kopuchian, Brandl, Tubaro & Winkler (in press). A striking case of deceptive woodpecker colouration: the threatened Helmeted Woodpecker Dryocopus galeatus belongs in the genus Celeus. J Ornithol. [abstract]

Winkler et al 2014 (HBW Alive).

Interesting. I've never seen it it, but it looks "Celeus shaped" and I think from I know of its behaviour (feeding lower on trunks, forest interior, unobtrusive etc) it behaves more like one as well. One of the most interesting results of the year? Thanks for posting Richard.

cheers, alan

Lammertink, Kopuchian, Brandl, Tubaro & Winkler (in press). A striking case of deceptive woodpecker colouration: the threatened Helmeted Woodpecker Dryocopus galeatus belongs in the genus Celeus. J Ornithol. [abstract]

The PDF of our Helmeted Woodpecker phylogeny paper is available at http://www.pinoparana.org/publicaciones, along with many other papers on Atlantic Forest birds.

Enjoy!

Martjan Lammertink

Helmeted Woodpecker

Brett W. Benz, Mark B. Robbins, Kevin J. Zimmer. Phylogenetic relationships of the Helmeted Woodpecker (Dryocopus galeatus): A case of interspecific mimicry? bioRxiv, Posted July 31, 2015.

Abstract and PDF (40MB!) here

Last edited:
It's intriguing to see that well-supported nodes in the trees produced by the two studies are in conflict.
In Lammertink et al., galeatus is sister to (flavus,[obrieni,spectabilis]) (BPP=1), and these are sister to (castaneus,[grammicus,undatus]).
In Benz et al., (flavus,[obrieni,spectabilis]) is sister to (castaneus,[grammicus,undatus]) (MLBS=98/BPP=1), excluding galeatus.
Any idea what is causing this?

When were they initially submitted?
Lammertink et al: received 6 Feb 2015; revised 21 May 2015; accepted 29 May 2015; posted 30 Jul 2015 (but dated 31 Jul 2015).

Benz et al: dated/posted 31 Jul 2015. "bioRxiv (pronounced "bio-archive") is a free online archive and distribution service for unpublished preprints in the life sciences. ... Articles are not peer-reviewed, edited, or typeset before being posted online. However, all articles undergo a basic screening process for offensive and/or non-scientific content." So presumably submitted very recently.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the GenBank accession numbers declared by Benz et al. are KT204492-KT204537, while those declared by Lammertink et al. are KT216665-KT216671, which suggests the former submitted their sequences before the latter...

When I was into the game of sequencing, some people submitted sequences as a dataset was ready, others submitted when they had the manuscript so ready that the accession numbers were needed. The genbank dates are therefore of minor value. (I am sure Laurent used the words "For what it's worth" for this reason, might not be clear to everyone else).

Niels

When I was into the game of sequencing, some people submitted sequences as a dataset was ready, others submitted when they had the manuscript so ready that the accession numbers were needed. The genbank dates are therefore of minor value. (I am sure Laurent used the words "For what it's worth" for this reason, might not be clear to everyone else).

Niels

Maybe Martjan can shine some light on the subject?

Maybe Martjan can shine some light on the subject?

We submitted our sequences to Genbank once our paper was accepted. We had no knowledge of the contents of the Benz et al. manuscript or that is was forthcoming. We worked on a phylogeny with samples from live captured Helmeted Woodpeckers, whereas Benz at al. sequenced from toe pads from museum specimens. It is great that the two independent studies have the same overall result and classification recommendation. Regarding Laurent´s question about the different topologies within Celeus, this may be due to different genes having been sequenced and these giving different signals.

Regarding Laurent´s question about the different topologies within Celeus, this may be due to different genes having been sequenced and these giving different signals.
Thanks Martjan. Apparently (flavus,[obrieni,spectabilis]) and (castaneus,[grammicus,undatus]) consistently clade together based on mtDNA data in both studies, actually. (They are sister in Benz et al.'s Fig. 3A (nd2 and atp8 & 6); ditto in your Fig. S2 (nd2); and, in your Fig. S3 (cox1), flavus and grammicus (the only representatives of these two groups there) are sister. I hadn't noted your supplementary material when I asked the question.) So it's apparently the bfib7 data that carry a slightly divergent signal, which drove galeatus into this clade in your tree.
It might be interesting to merge the two data sets and see what comes out.

We submitted our sequences to Genbank once our paper was accepted. We had no knowledge of the contents of the Benz et al. manuscript or that is was forthcoming. We worked on a phylogeny with samples from live captured Helmeted Woodpeckers, whereas Benz at al. sequenced from toe pads from museum specimens. It is great that the two independent studies have the same overall result and classification recommendation. Regarding Laurent´s question about the different topologies within Celeus, this may be due to different genes having been sequenced and these giving different signals.

Greetings Folks. I wish my first post on this forum could be on a more positive note, but I feel that I need to set the record straight with respect to our Helmeted Woodpecker study that is currently in press at The Auk: Ornithological Advances.

I began the molecular lab work for this project in 2011, shortly after completing the Benz and Robbins study on Celeus species limits. We exchanged multiple e-mails with Lammertink from 2011 to 2013 to provide him updates while sequencing and analyses were ongoing. Once we were satisfied with the results, we informed Lammertink that we would soon be submitting our manuscript and we would let him know when we had something in press. See attached email correspondence from Lammertink dated November 21, 2013.

We first submitted our paper to The Auk on February 27, 2014. See attached submission confirmation from the Auk dated 2-27-14.

Due to my heavy field schedule in 2014 (multiple expeditions in Papua New Guinea), my co-authors and I were unable see the paper through the revision process as fast as we would have liked. Moreover, two of the 4 reviewers had difficulty in fully grasping the ISDM mechanism, as did an associate editor, but once the Prum 2014 ISDM review paper came out during our second round of reviews, this helped dispel some of the skepticism around the mimicry hypothesis that we develop in the paper. Ultimately, our paper was accepted on July 31, 2015.

Incidentally, my co-authors and I first learned of the Lammertink study on July 31, when news of their abstract began to circulate on the internet. Needless to say, we were quite shocked and disappointed, particularly given their study is heavily based on the sequences we generated in our 2011 Celeus study, yet they fail to make mention of this in their paper or contact us to let us know they were proceeding with their study. I'll leave it up to the forum members to decide whether such behavior is ethically professional or not.

The good news is that we now know the true phylogenetic position of galeatus, and with the Prum's theoretical framework for examining potential cases of ISDM, we can now begin to test hypotheses of competitive mimicry in a more robust manner.

respectfully,

Brett Benz

Attachments

• ML_Email.jpg
    ML_Email.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 284
  • Auk_Submission.jpg
    Auk_Submission.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Laurent said: "It's intriguing to see that well-supported nodes in the trees produced by the two studies are in conflict....Any idea what is causing this?" That Tobias and Collar are right? I kid.

. I'll leave it up to the forum members to decide whether such behavior is ethically professional or not.

Since 2011 we have an intensive, expensive radio-tracking study on the ecology of the threatened Helmeted Woodpecker and co-existing woodpeckers under way in Misiones, Argentina. We need to know the phylogenetic position of this bird to make appropriate inferences about all aspects of its biology. Brett Benz wrote me both in 2011 and 2013 that a publication on the phylogeny of Helmeted Woodpecker was imminent, but did not want to share the results of the study, and indicated that there were difficulties with the ancient DNA material he was working with. To help out, both Cecilia Kopuchian and I offered Brett Benz in 2013 to collaborate on a study with additional fresh DNA samples we had obtained from live captured Helmeted Woodpeckers, but we were turned down. When by late 2014 there still was no indication of the promised paper of Brett Benz becoming published, we decided to sequence our own samples and publish the results. There is nothing unprofessional or unethical in independently pursuing a research question, nor in using the published DNA sequences of Celeus woodpeckers that were reported on in a paper from 2011. I regret to hear about the delays in the review process of the Benz et al. manuscript and that our publication was a surprise. The situation could have been avoided if Brett Benz had agreed on the collaborative work that we offered. On the positive side, we now have two independent studies with the same result which in the end is better than one collaborative study.

Helmeted Woodpecker

Winkler et al 2015 (HBW Alive) already lists both papers...
Helmeted Woodpecker (Hylatomus galeatus)
Bibliography

Benz, B.W., Robbins, M.B. & Zimmer, K.J. (2015) Phylogenetic relationships of the Helmeted Woodpecker (Dryocopus galeatus): A case of interspecific mimicry? Auk
Lammertink, M., Kopuchian, C., Brandl, H.B., Tubaro, P.L. & Winkler, H. (2015) A striking case of deceptive woodpecker colouration: the threatened Helmeted Woodpecker Dryocopus galeatus belongs in the genus Celeus. Journal of Ornithology DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10336-015-1254-x

To underscore the Lammertink team’s unethical behavior, I provide everyone with a synopsis of what has been stated along with some additional information:

Post #73: Quote from Lammertink: “We had no knowledge of the contents of the Benz et al. manuscript or that is was forthcoming.”
The e-mail correspondence between Benz and Lammertink in 2013 (see post #75) clearly demonstrates that Lammertink et al. were well aware of our manuscript and is an indictment of their underhanded modus operandi. Just so everyone is completely informed on what was stated in an email from Benz to Lammertink on 23 October 2013, I quote Benz: ”Long story short, there was some uncertainty in resolving the position of galeatus with the initial suite of mtDNA genes I sequenced in 2011. Given that these results were based solely on ancient DNA samples, I decided additional sequencing was warranted…”
Hence, we were insuring that we went to press with the most robust phylogenetic hypothesis possible. Moreover, we were determined to put our paper in context of an emerging theory on competitive mimicry advanced by Prum and Samuelson (2012). In the end, our paper went through a far more rigorous review process both from phylogenetic and mimetic perspectives, which in conjunction with our extensive sequencing methods substantially delayed the whole process. As has been pointed out by editors at two different journals and several colleagues, the Lammertink et al. paper received a very fast review and one of the authors, Winkler, is on the editorial board where their paper was published. Several ornithologists have commented, and I quote them: “that is a conflict of interest”.
In sum, the Lammertink et al. team was well aware that we were working on the phylogenetic placement of galeatus, and they fully used our 2011 Celeus data without exercising the basic professional courtesy that we had extended to them on several occasions, i.e., informing us that they had decided to work on this question independently.

Sincerely,
Mark B. Robbins
Division of Birds, University of Kansas Biodiversity Institute

Users who are viewing this thread

Back