• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

Looks like Guldenstadt's Redstart and Great Rosefinch are playing hard to get though. They could always go back in the winter when they would be a lot easier, if they need to.

No they wrote in a comment in facebook that they will try to get Guldenstadt's Redstart and Rosefinch today (and that list is not updated yet: http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/) - so they should still be in plan...

OK they've now passed my WP list.... Glad I don't really keep one!

Well. I've just worked out mine as 760 on a Netfugl basis and they've still put 47 species on me so far in the year on that basis. I think they are destined to add another 22 to that at least....... (I'm getting 770 on an IOC basis and they've got 50 on me on that basis.)

I need a year off. :-C

Species list updated with Georgia clean up. Hats off to them. B :)

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

All the best

Last edited:
Well. I've just worked out mine as 760 on a Netfugl basis and they've still put 47 species on me so far in the year on that basis. I think they are destined to add another 22 to that at least....... (I'm getting 770 on an IOC basis and they've got 50 on me on that basis.)

I need a year off. :-C

Species list updated with Georgia clean up. Hats off to them. B :)

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

All the best

Shows the value of having a big British list if you're looking to compile a big WP list! As a side note, should they really really want to get Shikra, it would be pretty easy in Azerbaijan, don't think there's anything else there for them tho.

Shows the value of having a big British list if you're looking to compile a big WP list! As a side note, should they really really want to get Shikra, it would be pretty easy in Azerbaijan, don't think there's anything else there for them tho.

caspian tit - no gen though..

cheers, a

As a side note, should they really really want to get Shikra, it would be pretty easy in Azerbaijan, .....

In the last years Shikra was also possible in the Botanical Garden of Yerevan, Armenia. Only about 4 hours by car from Tbilissi, if I remember correctly.
Plus some other good species around Yerevan (Paddyfield Warbler, Grey-necked Bunting, Eastern Rock Nuthatch, Bimaculated Lark), although they can get all these in Turkey, too.

In the last years Shikra was also possible in the Botanical Garden of Yerevan, Armenia. Only about 4 hours by car from Tbilissi, if I remember correctly.
Plus some other good species around Yerevan (Paddyfield Warbler, Grey-necked Bunting, Eastern Rock Nuthatch, Bimaculated Lark), although they can get all these in Turkey, too.

Not sure that border crossing would be particularly easy?

OK they've now passed my WP list.... Glad I don't really keep one!

I only got around to trying to count mine since visiting Israel, and they aren't up to it yet, but I have no belief it will last long!

(I'm not quite sure exactly what it is yet as my records are patchy and haven't always kept up with taxonomy but between 605 and 615 will cover it.)

John

From corresponding with Armenian birders/ornithologists, i'm not sure this is still a reliable site for Shikra. Certainly when i was there, there were no reliable reports according to an Armenian i was in touch with.
Stunning views of male Levant Sparrowhawk though!

I wonder where they are today? I reckon that it would be realistic for them to clean up Turkey in a little over a week despite 18 days in the itinerary?

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/itinerary/

Van - Grey-necked Bunting, Mongolian Finch, Eastern Rock Nuthatch
Nemrut Dagi - Pale Rock Sparrow, Asian Crimson-winged Finch, Kurdistan Wheatear, Cinereous Bunting
Birecik - See-see Partridge, Iraq Babbler
Demarkazik & area - Snowfinch, Caspian Snowcock, Radde's Accentor, Bimaculated Lark
Uzancaburc & area - Kruper's Nuthatch, Olive-tree Warbler
Oymapinar Baraji - Brown Fish Owl

Cyprus - Cyprus Wheatear, Cyprus Scops Owl, Eleanora's Falcon

Generally - Red-footed Falcon, Hobby, Black-headed Bunting, Great Reed Warbler

Not sure about Yelkouan Shearwater & Dalmatian Pelican? Are they targets for them in Turkey?

(I'd left two transatlantic vagrants off my numbers for the WP lists in post 1347 when I checked.)

All the best

Last edited:
I wonder where they are today?

Not sure about Yelkouan Shearwater & Dalmatian Pelican? Are they targets for them in Turkey?

If they have followed the advice of this forum, they should be in Baku ;).

As for the Shearwater any headland on the Med coast is poss, with Eleonora's as an additional incentive. For the Pelican -is it realistic in the Van area?

If they have followed the advice of this forum, they should be in Baku ;).

As for the Shearwater any headland on the Med coast is poss, with Eleonora's as an additional incentive. For the Pelican -is it realistic in the Van area?

The colonies look like they are in the west in The Birds of Turkey. Having looked for birding websites on Azerbaijan, I found the attached:-

https://azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazine/92_folder/92_articles/92_birdwatching.html

From the photos, it appears to be a hotbed of transatlantic vagrancy with hidden WP firsts....... :king:

I've wondered what birding the peninsula east of Baku would produce in say the third week of September in easterlies.........

All the best

From corresponding with Armenian birders/ornithologists, i'm not sure this is still a reliable site for Shikra. Certainly when i was there, there were no reliable reports according to an Armenian i was in touch with.
Stunning views of male Levant Sparrowhawk though!

No gen about last year, but a few years back there were two pairs. Levant and European Sparrowhawk occurring in the same place doesn't make it easier, so you definitely have to get in touch with Vasil Ananian (are there any other birders in Yerevan?). But I guess the same is true for Azerbaidjan. Or does one have a fair chance there finding Shikra without having exact and actual information?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back