• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

The list is now at 611:http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/
With Cyprus Scops Owl as no 610 and Cyprus Wheatear as no 611. The Cyprus Warbler they did add already in Israel as far as I remember. And as far as I know the last addition in France before has ever been no 609, so I don't see your point for an hidden addition, Jon. Probably you were just observing during their updating?

So they have probably just left the Eleonora's (or is it too early in year?) and can go further to... Germany? Kazakhstan?

Cyprus Scops Owl was originally 609. And when I looked earlier, there was no Wheatear.

Edit. Maybe I'm going daft. You are probably right Daniel. Doh!

Last edited:
I too have wondered what species they have as heard onlies so far...

I had a quick look at their list. 18 species are listed as heard only. A minimum of six of these have photos.

I think that three are definitely heard only - Yellow Bittern,, Buttonquail and Red-necked Nightjar. I am not sure about Boreal Owl, Hazel Grouse and Quail. I suspect the rest have been seen now.

As far as I can see, they have the following as heard only
Yellow Bittern
Small Buttonquail
Savi's Warbler?
Ural owl?
Boreal owl?
Red-legged Partridge???
Red-necked Nightjar
Common Quail?
Water Rail???

As far as I can see, they have the following as heard only
Yellow Bittern
Small Buttonquail
Savi's Warbler?
Ural owl?
Boreal owl?
Red-legged Partridge???
Red-necked Nightjar
Common Quail?
Water Rail???

Still wading through, but sight records shown for
Red legged partridge- Portugal
Savi's warbler - Hungary
Water Rail - Israel
Quail- Morocco

Last edited:
At least on my phone the IGoTerra account doesn't distinguish between heard only and seen in the day-by-day section. Not sure if this is maybe better on a computer screen?

You can find a nice Cyprus write-up now on their page:
http://www.bigyearwp.com

They really must be happy that they got their optics back at the end of the Egypt trip: they mentioned Cyprus Scopes (!) Owl twice in the last blog entry :).

And they discussed shortly about the Sylt Albatross and were happy that they went to Cyprus instead, because the Albatross was gone (as far as they know), Maffong.

I wonder if they are referring to me with the Albatross text. I never suggested they leave out Cyprus in favour of the Albatross, I simply thought they still had time due to an erroneous online itinerary.

More interestingly Vincent Legrand shared his pic of the Black-headed Penduline Tit just 500m outside the WP. If they occur there I guess it's pretty safe to assume they also reach the WP sometimes or even breed inside. Maybe the Big Year guys have more luck and find one inside the borders!
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1659737214066438&substory_index=0&id=539740812732756

Last edited:
Seems Black-headed Penduline Tit is now on the West Pal list per their FaceyFeed

I knew this is going to be interesting. BH Penduline Tit is of course a serious blocker:eek!:
It seems there was a record from the eastern bank of Ural River a few days ago, so just outside WP. Bad luck, at least from the perspective of a WP lister...

Black Lark and Demoiselle Crane remain the Kazakhstan targets (I believe) if last year's Long-tailed Shrike breeding was a one off.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back