• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two small birds from Phu Suan Sai NP in the north of Thailand (1 Viewer)

robby thai

Been going through camera cards dumping garbage to free up space and came across these two that I had failed to ID.

The first I unfortunately only got the one shot sans beak, had been skipping past it as a dark white eye but it isnt.

Phu Suan sai question.JPG

Thinking along the lines of Lesser Shortwing for these long range shots.

shortwing. 1.JPG

shortwing.JPG

The first is a Seicercus. Dull colours, bulky appearance and restricted grey on the crown make me think Alstrom's (=Plain-tailed) Warbler, but these are really difficult without vocalisations and I wouldn't want to say for sure.

The second doesn't look like a shortwing to me (e.g. tail looks too long). My instant reaction was a tailorbird, but I'm not sure that's right.

Yes, I'd say Lesser Shortwing for the second - definitely no Tailorbird!

Ooh 8,000th post!

And not Lesser Shortwing...tail too long and bare parts too pale.

The pale around the eye is due to feather loss/moult....if you blow up the lower image you can make out the emerging feather pins.

IMO looks like a Buff-breasted Babbler.

Grahame

Last edited:
Buff-breasted Babbler is probably a good call. It's not a species I'm familiar with but a lot about this bird looks like a babbler of some sort and I can't think of anything else that fits.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back