• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Evicting House Martins/Sparrows (1 Viewer)

ant7629

Hi

I need some help please. Ihave just moved int oa new house to find birds are living in the eaves. They could be sparrows or martins, not sure.

The problem is they are a pest. I am a very light sleeper at the best of times, and I am being woken up each mornging by these birds. The constant noise and droppings is beginning to get me down.

I love all animals, and would never do one any harm, but they have to go (peacefully i.e. moved, not harmed).

Can anyone provide any suggestions? I thinnk I can see where the nest is. It is a small hole just under the roof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thank

Anthony Wakefield

Wait until the little ones are gone then plug the hole. The racket does not last that long. I have nest boxes on my house and in my shrubs. I work afternoon shift and really love the racket the birds make. Couldn't be a better way to wake up...welllllll

Thanks for that. Don't get me wrong, I like the morning chorus, but not at 4:30am.... About what time of the year do the chicks leave?

As you have only just moved in, remember you are moving into their home, not vice versa :) so tuff luck, you'll just have to put up with them til they move on!

This link may be of use to you:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/whatsintheroof/stop_nesting.asp

Basically there is little you can do until they have finished nesting this year, but then you could try to block the hole. If they are actually nesting inside the structure of the house they are more likely to be sparrows than house martins.

If you can identify the species it would be a good idea to provide them with an alternative nest site for next year in the form of a nestbox in a less troublesome location. More information here:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/whatyoucando/nestboxes/index.asp

House Sparrows often have multiple broods across the Summer, so unfortunately you're in for a longish wait, as it is illegal to disturb them whilst nesting. If in the late autumn/Winter you do decide to block the hole - which personally I think is a shame - do consider putting a nestbox up as a replacement.

Richard D said:
which personally I think is a shame .

Yes, it is a shame, but if it is stopping him from sleeping, you can't really blame him from wanting to stop it in future.

Mind you it could be worse. I used to get oystercatchers landing on my bedroom roof at 4 am and walking up and down the ridge tiles calling VERY loudly. Fortunately it hasn't happened for a few years now.

Thank you for all of your help. I don't want to disturb them whilst they are still nesting, or do anything illegal for that matter. I will watch out for when the little ones leave and take action then.
thanks again

Considered and purchased. The problem is that the nest is directly outside my bedroom window. I suppose I will just have to grin and bear it until the Autumn

If you've got to move them from one part of the house at least offer them accomodation nearby. This way everyone wins.

We have around 6 nests in the eaves of our house + a House Martins next to the bedroom window. I love the sound of them even at 4.00 am. If it bothers you why not get some ear plugs?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back