• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid range bino recommendations for hiking? (Long post) (1 Viewer)

K4t

Hi. I'm new to this forum and have found it in my search for my first pair of binoculars. Up front I must admit I'm not a birder but it's very obvious from all the fantastic advice here that no one knows more about binos than birders (hunters possibly second.)

I'm suffering information overload from all that I've read on these boards. In the days before the net it would have been much easier to just try half a dozen pairs of binos at the local shop and leave with whichever pair felt best. Now I'm crippled with indecision about all the pairs I haven't been able to compare side by side (not to mention the ones I can 'afford' but can't justify.)

So here's my situation. I'm after a pair of binos for a hiking trip to Nepal. In other words wildlife spotting, admiring details of the landscape etc. The criteria I've narrowed down are as follows:
- 32mm lens (42 are tempting but just a bit too big and heavy)
- Max $1500 Australian (so the big 3 are out - I can't justify the extra cost)
- Trying to buy from an Australian dealer for warranty and shipping reasons
- Must have excellent eye relief (thick glasses wearer)
- Magnification - still undecided between 8x and 10x

It's the magnification question that's bothering me most. (I've previously used my Dad's 10x52 Nikons (various models) and I'm reluctant to step down to 8x.) I've tested several 10x42 but none of the dealers I've seen so far had a 10x32 in stock. I'm not worried about shake but more so the trade off in field of view and brightness. (The fact I've only been able to test on city streets and in bright sunlight hasn't helped either.) I've also noticed that even at 42mm some 8x models are very comfortable but the same model 10x doesn't have enough eye relief for me. Intellectually I'm tending to think 8x would be more sensible but I think I'm a glutton for magnification power.

These are the binos I've short listed:
- Vortex Viper 8x32 or 10x32
(Pros: Light, relatively cheap. Cons: Can't find a stockist to test in person so it means taking a leap of faith.) Approx $800
- Leupold GR HD 8x32 or 10x32
(Pros: Really like the 42mm models. Cons: Discontinued so difficult to buy and impossible to test.) Approx $800
- Leupold GR 7/12x32 Switch
(Pros: Love the concept. Means I don't have to choose between 8x and 10x. Cons: Worried too much might be sacrificed in the execution. Haven't been able to test a pair yet but I wonder if the loss in FOV, crispness and brightness compared the single magnification models is worth it. That said I did test a pair of the 10/17x42 and was really impressed. At 10x I couldn't pick a significant difference from the single magnification 10x42s and at 17x the view was much steadier and clearer than I expected. Expensive.) Approx $1300
- Meopta 8x32
(Pros: The best 32s I've been able to test so far. Nice optics. Cons: Relatively expensive. Eye relief only barely good enough.) Approx $1100
- Steiner Ranger Pro 8x32
(Pros: Cheapest. Light. Cons: Optics not nearly as good as the others.) (Approx $600)
- Other suggestions? Leupold Katmai? Did find one pair of Nikon LX L 8x32 on sale interstate at just under the $1500 mark.

Apologies for the super long post. Would welcome any advice. As you may have noticed the Australian price estimates don't really correlate well with US prices.

Am I crazy for considering a 10x32?

One piece of advice I can offer: If you know you don't want to pay for (or can't afford) the Leica Ultravids then don't ask to test them!
(Just don't expect me to follow my own advice any time soon - it's way too tempting.)|:D|

Welcome to the forum. A couple of comments:

--I didn't like the 7/12 switch powers and returned them. I couldn't pick out any more detail at 12x because things were dimmer and blurrier than at 7x (which was excellent optically). Also, I needed to adjust diopter when I switched powers. I think they are a great concept, but the execution just isn't there yet.

--you strike me as someone who eventually is going to buy one of the big 3. A used or demo model may be in your price range now. You might search to see what's available.

Best,
Jim

Meopta or Leupold are the belles of the ball in your list. The Leupy may be a bit better optically and not nearly as ugly as the Meopta :)

As tempting as a 10x is, the 8x will give a wider field of view and you may be shocked at how little difference in ability to see detail there usually is - especially hand held. 8x32 will just be more enjoyable. Best option is to see for yourself.

8x32 or 8x30 would be great. I personally would stay away from the 10x32, so yes I think that choice is crazy IMHO.

Another couple in that price/size range that would be very good would be the Swarovski 8x30 SLC Neu, it is a great bino that is tried and true, with Swarovski's great service reputation and best long term value in my opinion.

and the 8x32 Pentax DCF ED- it is a fantastic piece of glass, especially for the price. Better than the Meopta 8x32 sample that I put it up against and every bit as good as the Swaro SLC in my opinion.

The Leupold 8x32 is a real nice glass, but it is just as heavy as most 42mm glass since you stated weight being a concern.

Did find one pair of Nikon LX L 8x32 on sale interstate at just under the $1500 mark.

Wow, that's ridiculously expensive, which is too bad if representative, because when it comes to long eye-relief in an optically excellent 32mm bino, and at a price under that of the big three, it is the only one that comes to mind. The 10x32 Nikon LXL can be had for ~$650 as a factory refurb here in the USA. Though I'm not a fan of 10x32 bins, I think the Nikon is a good choice in that category, especially when eye-relief is of concern.

It is hard to get good eye-relief in 8x32 bins, regardless of price, and even harder in 10x. The overall best 10x32 in my experience is the Zeiss FL, which like the Nikon, is also a standout for its excellent eye-relief.

--AP

I personally would skip a bino in favor of a monocular for a Nepal hiking expedition. Your pack will be weighed down with enough gear already and you will be altitude. I just returned from a 4-day long hike (~30km) through the Japan Alps (~1000m-3000m) and by the end was ready to toss my ~700g bino over a cliff. And I only had lightweight <10kg pack on my back too! I expect you will carrying 3x as much gear. Watch the ounces or the pounds will quickly add up is my advise.

I personally would skip a bino in favor of a monocular for a Nepal hiking expedition. Your pack will be weighed down with enough gear already and you will be altitude. I just returned from a 4-day long hike (~30km) through the Japan Alps (~1000m-3000m) and by the end was ready to toss my ~700g bino over a cliff. And I only had lightweight <10kg pack on my back too! I expect you will carrying 3x as much gear. Watch the ounces or the pounds will quickly add up is my advise.

then consider the pentax papillio 6x21
-light weight
-cheap
-will get the job done

edj

Last edited:
Do you have Nepalese Sherpas carrying your stuff? If not I would argue that 32mm binoculars will take up precious space and weigh a lot. The monocular idea is good, or a set of small reverse porros. To be honest there will be so much to see on a trip like that you should consider just using your built-in ultra sharp 1x binoculars.

8x32 several models, try Pentax 8x32 models

10x32 essentially no models, just a few expensive ones
I think 10x32 is a bad idea

10x36 might work, forgot what there is

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back