• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

migrating hummers (1 Viewer)

I was just curious how do hummers migrate....what I mean is do they make a straight beeline where they are intending to go, and nothing will stop them OR do they just meander south just going bush to flower to feeder as they go? They reason I ask is because I understand some hummers go across the Gulf of Mexico, and how did they ever figure that out....What did the oil rig guys hang feeders and walaa they had hummers? Like I said Just Curious, thanks for any info all of you might have.

I was just curious how do hummers migrate....what I mean is do they make a straight beeline where they are intending to go, and nothing will stop them OR do they just meander south just going bush to flower to feeder as they go? They reason I ask is because I understand some hummers go across the Gulf of Mexico, and how did they ever figure that out....What did the oil rig guys hang feeders and walaa they had hummers? Like I said Just Curious, thanks for any info all of you might have.

My understanding is that the Ruby-Throateds do cross the Gulf of Mexico, and they have to do it non-stop unless there is an oil rig along the way! But when they get here, they definitely do some hanging out before moving on. I can't tell whether they stay a few hours or several days or more because I can't tell them apart, but I can track them going from a perch on a tree to bug hunting to my flowers and feeder and back again.

Helen

Ahh...so you get them after they have made their long journey/or when they go the other way come spring when they are all fattened up COOL! Do you know if they fly in groups together like other migrating birds or is it a singular migration for each individual bird?

Ahh...so you get them after they have made their long journey/or when they go the other way come spring when they are all fattened up COOL! Do you know if they fly in groups together like other migrating birds or is it a singular migration for each individual bird?

Yeah, it's really cool! I had one female here until late January last year, even though I'm at a higher altitude than their preferred wintering grounds (about 2300 meters, they winter at around 1500 meters and below here) so I have to assume my feeder was keeping her here.

I have males and females visiting the feeders constantly now. They are gorgeous LITTLE birds! They are absolutely dwarfed by the Magnificent Hummingbirds, and even the White-Eareds are much bigger than the Ruby Throateds.

I don't know of they migrate in groups! I saw the first ones individually, but I'm a couple hundred kilometers from the Gulf of Mexico so this may not be their first stop.

Helen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back