• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone identify this bird (1 Viewer)

champo

While i was running today in the country i saw a bird which flew up from a ditch the body was brown apart from the tail which was completely white the shape of the tail was like a Kites tail. the bird size was smaller than a blackbird the rest of the body was brown i have looked in all of my bird books and i can not find such a bird any ideas

Neil

While i was running today in the country i saw a bird which flew up from a ditch the body was brown apart from the tail which was completely white the shape of the tail was like a Kites tail. the bird size was smaller than a blackbird the rest of the body was brown i have looked in all of my bird books and i can not find such a bird any ideas

Neil

Although it doesn't match your description perfectly, I would guess that you have seen a snipe.

Mike

biometrics for blackbird and common snipe almost match... so if smaller than blackbird maybe a jack snipe. Therefore the salient question is what was the flight like.... zigzagging or direct, did it land quickly or did it fly for quite a distance? This could tighten the id a bit.

Northern Wheatear?

Smaller than Blackbird, the black T-shape on the white tail might give the 'Kite's tail' impression.

Regards,

Ronald Sinoo

house sparrow with leucism in the tail? Linnet? Could be anything really. Lots of things with white in the tail could be lurking in ditches, including those already mentioned.

I dont think it was a snipe as i have seen them before, the filght was low and the bird flew along the ditch below me, the filght was not erratic more gliding away from me and then bird turned rose and back towards me & turned and went over the hedge in to the field. i did not see the bird land.

Last edited:
Sounds very like Green Sandpiper, as mentioned above. This behaviour is typical in cold winter weather. I had one doing exactly the same in a drainiage ditch near my house in Wales one February.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back