• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Roof Prism Binoculars under $50? (2 Viewers)

Tvc15_2000

A friend is looking for a pair of 10X25 roof prisms for under $50 Waterproof is good but not a requirement.

If you have done any comparisons I would appreciate your feedback and recommendation leads.

Thanks in advance

Try the Nikon "Roadtrips" or Nikon "Sportstars." They usually sell for under $70.00. Best to stay with Nikon with binoculars priced this low. You get their excellent guarantee and service if you need it.
Bob

If/since they're all junk, the best 10x roof under $50 would be the cheapest one since that would involve the least waste of money. Cabela's perpetually advertises a Simmons 10x25 roof for about $15, but they're on sale now for $11.99 according to a flyer I got in today's mail.

One of the reverse porro compacts for ~$60-70 would actually be functional, even very good.
--AP

I quite like the Sporstar 8x, I borrow the one my wife uses. Fairly sharp and wide field. It runs some 60-70 dollars. I have a sold out Minolta, slightly better but not much.

Tero said:
No such thing. Only the 8x Sportstar is in any way useable, not the 10x. Good luck.

totally agree with Tero. 10x has such a small exit pupil value, which renders the image so dim at 25mm objective lens.

Even though I always try to stay away from big 3 names (not because of their quality, just their price is way too high to most people), I would recommend your friend try to cough up a little more. When you have a budget of less than $200, you will get more options...

Here is a nice compromise. Try the Nikon Travelite V 9 x 25 reverse porro prism. It costs about $90.00 but it is a nice little binocular. I had one for along time before I dropped it and knocked it out of collimation.
Bob

That configuration at that price point doesn't make sense to me. Apparently, the market is there though.

I wonder what your friends' intended uses are.

I have a pair. I use it for birds on business trips, when a serious glass is too much baggage. I also have a pair of the waterproof version. I am a fan of 9x. ;)

Last edited:
Tero said:
I have a pair. I use it for birds on business trips, when a serious glass is too much baggage. I also have a pair of the waterproof version. I am a fan of 9x. ;)

Tero, Sorry for the confusion - I was referring specifically to the 10x25 roof config at $50.

I've had a pair of Travelite 9x25s for many years, well before I began bird watching. I now use them (reluctantly) for quick glances out the back window. I would not purchase them for that purpose now. But, I understand their use as a very packable, inexpensive 9x or so - decent "bang for the buck".

My friend is going on a week long backpack trip and needs the lightest glass she can get for $50 (limited budget). While some may disagree, she and I agree a $50 binocular is better than nothing.

It will give her a chance to do some birding in the wilderness. she is thinking of Tasco or Bushnell 10x25s which tout waterproof and coated lenses. No need to cring in horror, she knows what to expect and for this trip and the budget available - I find no fault with here decision.

It was not all that long ago I started with a Taso (uncoated) for a few years and now I have 6 pairs of fine binocs and a scope with multiple eyepieces!

I appreciate your input and recommendations. The models she is considering are

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=208738&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
Or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=328802&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Other models and first hand experience with these are appreciated.

Have not checked them out. Reverse porros are difficult to mess up. I have had assorted brands and only one was poor: Orion. Specs look OK, I would risk it for the price. Pentax I have looked at, 80 dollars:
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3912
besides the Travelite Nikons. Old Pentax Jupiters, from a couple of years back are pretty poor. The new Pentax are all better.

The 8x25 Olympus here might be another cheap option
http://www.binoculars4less.com/specialty_v2/compact-binoculars.html

I have given up collecting reverse porros so can't help much more. I have two Minoltas and 2 Nikons. The Minoltas are OK, hard to find.

Tero said:
Have not checked them out. Reverse porros are difficult to mess up. I have had assorted brands and only one was poor: Orion. Specs look OK, I would risk it for the price. Pentax I have looked at, 80 dollars:
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3912
besides the Travelite Nikons. Old Pentax Jupiters, from a couple of years back are pretty poor. The new Pentax are all better.

The 8x25 Olympus here might be another cheap option
http://www.binoculars4less.com/specialty_v2/compact-binoculars.html

I have given up collecting reverse porros so can't help much more. I have two Minoltas and 2 Nikons. The Minoltas are OK, hard to find.

Your point on the porros is a good one. I will pass it on to my friend. It will probably be the Bushnells because the budget limitation. Thanks for your input it helps.

Tvc15_2000 said:
Your point on the porros is a good one. I will pass it on to my friend. It will probably be the Bushnells because the budget limitation. Thanks for your input it helps.

I also agree with Tero that at this price point, reverse porros such as the ones he pointed are best compacts. Just, please, if you can at any point, talk him/her out of 10X....

The Olympus that Tero mentioned are given a rave review here. Chart here. I would buy a pair tomorrow, but you can't get them for less than $100 here.

Michael.

Compact bins

Tvc15_2000 said:
A friend is looking for a pair of 10X25 roof prisms for under $50 Waterproof is good but not a requirement.

I saw some very similar at Opticsplanet.com on sale for about $55.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/pntx-bino-62209.html
I would think the odds are pretty good they would be a good performer.

I use my 8X21 for nature walks in the park 2 or 3 times per week because I keep them at work for that purpose. I own much better bins, but they are just handy and give better views than most would expect for such compacts.

Good luck,
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back