• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice on 1st scope needed (1 Viewer)

We are buying our first scope - having gotten progressively more into birding since the Spring. We have been considering the ED50 or a second hand Kowa/Optolyth but someone pointed out the following offer from sw optics:

ES80 GA ED Angled with HDF 20-60x Zoom, FREE Green Stay-on Case with Neoprene Strap, FREE Monopod

How do Opticron compare with the other brands in terms of quality - both of image and durability. Budget is about £500 and it needs to last for quite a while. The last thing I want is for us to buy a scope that we will need to replace sooner than I would like.

Thanks in advance

wg

We are buying our first scope - having gotten progressively more into birding since the Spring. We have been considering the ED50 or a second hand Kowa/Optolyth but someone pointed out the following offer from sw optics:

ES80 GA ED Angled with HDF 20-60x Zoom, FREE Green Stay-on Case with Neoprene Strap, FREE Monopod

How do Opticron compare with the other brands in terms of quality - both of image and durability. Budget is about £500 and it needs to last for quite a while. The last thing I want is for us to buy a scope that we will need to replace sooner than I would like.

Thanks in advance

wg

This is the scope and eyepiece that I use and I don't think you'd be disappointed with it. Especially if you are getting all of that for £500! I think that the only way you'd beat this within your budget would be to buy second hand. That said, it is always best to try before you buy.

This is the scope and eyepiece that I use and I don't think you'd be disappointed with it. Especially if you are getting all of that for £500! I think that the only way you'd beat this within your budget would be to buy second hand. That said, it is always best to try before you buy.
The price from the website is actually £599. £500 was the budget. I agree anyone's unlikely to be disappointed.

What's the monopod about though? I use one myself with my smaller IS50 scope at x20 but wouldn't dream of using it with the larger and heavier ES80 at higher mags. Surely you'd need a tripod?

Last edited:
Agreed - you'll struggle to keep this steady on a monopod in anything but perfect conditions, and that's before you try using the zoom!

I think the scope has a decent reputation, though. Do you have any opportunity to try out some of the options in the field? There's quite a difference between the three big scopes and the ED50 - although the latter is an exceptional piece of kit, I don't think it'll gather as much light as the larger alternatives. However, it will be much easier to carry around, being pocket-sized! The best way you're going to balance these two factors against each other is to try them, though, giving consideration to what sort of birding you'll be doing... i.e. Are you out and about often in poor weather, or at dawn and dusk? Would you have any problem carrying a bigger, heavier scope (and the additional support it'll require)?

The ES80 is a very nice scope, I paid more than that for mine - it is large though - in the case it's 21" long and not a lightweight.
Don't even dream of using it on a monopod - only time that might be useful is viewing from a hide if you get a clamp to attach to the shelf.
A tripod is essential and preferably with a video type head for smooth control, I've also got a balance slide to stop the scope tipping.
Also my tripod is carbon fibre for lightness - humping around camera, bins, scope and a tripod is no fun.
If I'm going out but not sure if a scope is needed I always take my Opticron Mighty Midget with an HDF eyepiece - light as a feather and in some ways easier to use and the image from it is very good.
The zoom range is 12-36 so I can get away without taking bins, finding birds is much easier as you have a much wider field of view.
I've let many people look thro the Midget and all have been surprised at how good it is.
If I didn't have use of the ES80 I'd not be too worried - I would be unhappy not to have the Midget.
You say 'we' are you both viewing at the same time - you could buy two Midgets + HR eyepieces, you don't need much of a tripod to support them.
Bigger is seen as better - often true but only matters if you can actually be bothered carry the big thing around with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back