• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone try an XW 7mm on PF 65? (1 Viewer)

Snyd

The XF 8.5mm gives pretty darn good views on my PF 65 EDA II. Anyone here ever spend anytime with an XW 7 or XL 7 on the PF 65?

I can't seem to get the search function to pull up xw 7 or xw 7mm etc.

Hi Snyd

I own an XW7 and occasionally use it on my PF-80. It's a superb EP on a clear bright day and/or for astro purposes. However, as it is not getting sufficient use I am wanting to trade it for an XW10 or XW20.

Hi,

I can agree with the comment by MGT: β€œIt's a superb EP on a clear bright day and/or for astro purposes.”
An XW7 on my PF-65EDA II (56x) gives me XW14 (28x)-like sharp images, though less bright and contrasting, but with quite magnified details. The 7 is now an indispensable EP for me when I see birds over 100 m away.

However, there are a few points you should pay your attention to:

1) The 7 would be useless at dawn and dusk. We cannot see objects through it brighter and clearer than just with our naked eyes.
2) Focusing of the 7 is much more critical or difficult than that of the 14. I wish a PF-65 had a dual ratio focus system, that is, both high and low ratio knobs.
3) So a firm and rigid tripod is a must for the precise focusing of the 7. An oil-fluid video head is really preferable to get stable images with fine resolution.
4) Some people lament occasional blackouts of the 14. With the 7 those inconveniences occur more often -- rather too easily, I would say. In a careful and composed manner we should put our eye just at the center of the 7.

Thanks for the replies. I have since sold my XW 14 and XF 8.5 and went to the WO Zoom II which is 22.5-7.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back