• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest Box Lighting for Colour Video Camera (1 Viewer)

nobby

I want to build a nest box with a mini colour video camera inside. My present setup uses a mini b/w camera with infra red lighting, but the colour camera will need artificial visible light. Any ideas on the type and power of lights to use as I do not want to disturb or over heat the box? I think the camera works at around 1 lux min but more light would be better.
Brett.
Ooops-Bit new to all this just realised what videoScoping is so above is a bit off subject.

Last edited:
I would guess that you may wish to consider a flourescent light which will not poach the eggs or chicks and your cameras light balance can take into account.

BiLL

nobby said:
I want to build a nest box with a mini colour video camera inside. My present setup uses a mini b/w camera with infra red lighting, but the colour camera will need artificial visible light. Any ideas on the type and power of lights to use as I do not want to disturb or over heat the box? I think the camera works at around 1 lux min but more light would be better.
Brett.
Ooops-Bit new to all this just realised what videoScoping is so above is a bit off subject.
Hi,
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? i am thinking of doing the same thing and wondered if you had any tips etc?
Cheers
Brian

Claymore said:
Hi,
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? i am thinking of doing the same thing and wondered if you had any tips etc?
Cheers
Brian
Hi Claymore.
Yes I did see my site here http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/nest_box.htm

I used White LEDs and mini light bulbs but I am now trying out 8 white LEDs per box with no mini light bulbs see enclosed pic in my latest box with Mini DV cam installed.
Brett.

Attachments

• dv1.jpg
    dv1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 645
Brilliant stuff! just what i'm hoping to acheive (fingers crossed) before i start building i want to do plenty of homework and make sure i get it right.
Two years ago i set a camcorder up in a derelict barn and managed to video a pair of Barn owls + the chicks! since then i have been hooked and now technology is getting a little less expensive i can afford to experiment a bit!
Thanks for the info and i will keep you posted on my results.
Cheers and happy new year
Brian

Camera bird box lighting

Have you considered natural light. I have tried a couple of lighing options and they were ok, but tended to put birds off. What I did was use a bit of plastic which allowed enough light in the box. The company where I had my cameras from sell 50mm camera nest box resin windows that let light in. The are also refracted to not disturb the birds too. The idea being that the light levels follow natural light and thus not affecting the birds by artificial light.

KT

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back