• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field sketches (1 Viewer)

Stunning sketches all of them Qivind! Wish you good luck with the owls
and I`m sure you gonna do your best!
Can`t wait to see the results..

Paschalis

Good luck with the Ural!

Sketches from video really are nice, your lines are superb..

It's looking like it could be an owl invasion year, a big one too! Lots of Great Grey and Hawk Owl being reported in Sweden, the odd Ural and Temgmalms too...

It's looking like it could be an owl invasion year, a big one too! Lots of Great Grey and Hawk Owl being reported in Sweden, the odd Ural and Temgmalms too...

Yes, and here in Denmark ( north of Copenhagen ) we have had this Northern Hawk Owl around for a few weeks or so, and which has caught the attention of many birders. Not very common at all around here.
UK version: http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=50713&language=uk
Danish version: http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=50713
Cheers,
Torben

Cheers for that, Torben - this is THE must see owl for me. One day . . . one day . . . . .
Hurry up, Oivind - waiting to see if you connected with your owl today?

We did not connect. I gave it my best, walking around for seven hours around the golf course where it has been during the last 14 days. I am sure the owl saw me, and I hope she enjoyed it. I talked with around 20 golf players, and they could all tell me about their many encounters with the bird (do you have the expression pearls for pigs in English?). Actually, it was very nice, and they were very enthusiastic about their guest. Anyway, it was exciting, and I might give it another shot. Ironically, I saw a lot of coots in the golf course lake.

bad luck, hope you'll get it another time - and you saw more coots than me today! I chose to stay out of the torrential rain.

In my humble opinion northern owls are the best birds in the world...

Excruciatingly beautiful, all of them....

Great Grey is the daddy of them all, though Ural is placid and harder to see well. Hawk Owl is a mind blower, end of story, Pygmy has the attitude, though, for me, still waiting on daylight views of Tengmalm's. I love them all. Right now, around Stockholm, Great Grey and Hawk are easily available. Not a normal state of affairs...

In my experience, Ural is hard work and will probably need another visit, so maybe in the future it gives itself up...

QED; Work Sucks!

Last edited:
commiserations- if feels like a bit of forum/community dip, since we've all been deprived of the images you would have produced

so really for us, you do need to get out and catch up with another of the owl beasts soon...

so really for us, you do need to get out and catch up with another of the owl beasts soon...
I felt I had to take you up on that, Ed, so I put up a few nets at the Bird Observatory where I spent last night. Just before midnight, lured by sound, an owl beast found the net. Tengmalm's can be quite numerous along the south coast in October, but you hardly ever see them.
It's a handsome bird indeed, and quite well behaved, as well. I couldn't sketch it in hand, so I had to use a few pictures of the bird.

Attachments

• perleugle copy.jpg
    perleugle copy.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 49
I am looking at a long, cold winter here in the north, and most of my scribbling will have to be done inside. Last weekend, I spent on the south-west coast, and the birding highlight of the trip was definately a Hawk Owl - one of many in the south of Norway this autumn. It's not like the huge invasion in 1984, when they were absolutely everywhere, but still allowed me only my second meeting with this stunning bird since then.
I also have started preparing for a trip to Eilat with the Norwegian Rarities Committee in the beginning of april next year, by sketching from the internet. Looking forward to close encounters with species like Woodchat Shrike and Isabelline Wheatear.

Attachments

• 20121108_112531 copy.jpg
    20121108_112531 copy.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20121108_112537 copy.jpg
    20121108_112537 copy.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 61
  • isabella copy.jpg
    isabella copy.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 54
  • rødhodevarsler copy.jpg
    rødhodevarsler copy.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 63
Oooh those owls....superb. Brings back memories of trips to Finland and Sweden, lucky enough in Sweden to see a male displaying on a rather frosty morning!

Hi Oivind,

I've been away from the forum for quite awhile myself - so taking some time to have a look and see what I've been missing - first thread I landed on was yours...absolutely amazing work - hawk owls are fabulous...

Oivind,,,That Owl was talking to You,..I dont know what He said , But He told You Something...

Høyt og tydelig!

Last edited:
Thank you all for encouraging comments! Mayoayo: I think he said "what is this bloke doing without a camera?" That is one thoroughly photographed owl. Where did you learn Norwegian, by the way??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back