• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scaup & Grebes (Oakland, CA, USA) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

Last three for today. Some verification, one has me stumped:

1. Greater Scaups. Is there a gender, age, etc. difference between the two birds? Scaups confuse me aside from "if it has a blue beak it's a scaup" around here. So many different plumage combinations.
  2. I was assuming a grebe of some sort, but really have no idea.
  3. Western Grebe?

As always, a big, big thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IDme_GreaterScaup.JPG
    IDme_GreaterScaup.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IDme_Grebe.JPG
    IDme_Grebe.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IDme_WesternGrebe.JPG
    IDme_WesternGrebe.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 74
While I have your attention Fugl, what about gender on this scaup?

Is there a chart online (with photos!) someplace that clarifies all the scaup variations? Or do you just know this from experience?

Attachments

• IDme_GreaterScaup2.JPG
    IDme_GreaterScaup2.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 53
Pardon my n00b questions, but:

So how did you tell between the Western and Horned grebes?

Western Grebe is much larger, slenderer, with a much longer neck and bill :t:

BTW, I'm not convinced the scaup are Greater; heads smallish and with the peak toward the front of the crown, and quite coarse marking on the back of the male, suggest Lesser to me. See what others say, though.

BTW, I'm not convinced the scaup are Greater; heads smallish and with the peak toward the front of the crown, and quite coarse marking on the back of the male, suggest Lesser to me. See what others say, though.
I'd be curious if anyone thinks Lesser as well. Reflexively I go with Greater unless I see an obvious "point" to the head, and I've yet to see or photograph a Lesser.

I'm told we can get Lessers, but the vast majority are Greater. We get huge rafts of Scaups this time of the year, and they are some of the last over-wintering birds to leave when Spring rolls around.

I'm told we can get Lessers, but the vast majority are Greater.
That surprises me a bit! Generally in USA, Lesser is the commoner of the two (reverse applies over here in UK, Lesser very rare), but it'll vary locally according to exact habitat, etc. Are these birds on fresh or salt water? In general, Lesser prefer fresh, Greater salt, but again, much overlap.

While I have your attention Fugl, what about gender on this scaup?

Is there a chart online (with photos!) someplace that clarifies all the scaup variations? Or do you just know this from experience?

Male.

You really need to get a field guide at this point, Sibley's "Field Guide to Birds of Western North America" being the one I'd recommend. A glance at his pages on the 2 scaups would tell you all you need to know about field marks and sex and seasonal differences. The Sibley FG is also available as an app which is the form in which I use it on my iPhone and iPad.

And, please, birds have sexes not genders. . .. ;)

Fairly certain it's a saltwater or brackish marsh.

You also sent me combing through my Gallery to see if my brain failed me and I mixed-up which I see most often and...yep, they are all Greater scaups in my gallery, and I had help ID'ing those. Sure hope there hasn't been a mixup all this time. ;-p

I'll wait for a bit more consensus before labeling my photos and uploading them.

And, please, birds have sexes not genders. . .. ;)
I could argue the point of my intent vs. "precision of language in an ever-changing special-interest landscape," or even whether your premise is actually true, but I'll simply leave it at...

LOL! :-O

"Sexes" it is then.

Yeah, scaup ID can be tricky so I probably should have been more tentative in my identification, though I still lean toward Greater on head shape. But I take your points. . ..

Last edited:
Western Grebe is much larger, slenderer, with a much longer neck and bill :t:

My understanding has been that a peak toward the front of the crown (tallest point of the head in front of the eye) is suggestive of Greater Scaup. Are there reference to the contrary?

My understanding has been that a peak toward the front of the crown (tallest point of the head in front of the eye) is suggestive of Greater Scaup.

Agreed, at least according to the Sibley guide.

To me they look better for Greater, in addition to head shape there is the relatively large bill size (bird on the left in the first pic more iffy though on bill size)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back