• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning Tips for binocular rubber (1 Viewer)

Hmmm, slipperyness on binoculars may be an issue... I think I will try something like this, as they say it does not leave any slippery residue.

https://www.liquidperformancedirect.com/product-p/1034.htm

As for Byron Wright's problems, I found an interesting post on another forum that may provide an explanation

Armor All used a different formula many years ago, containing dimethyl silicone oils (not water based), and it got a bad name because of it. ...

Truth be told they have been a water based silicone for many years now, and their product isn't a whole lot different than the other rubber / vinyl protectants available. They don't have the higher concentrations of UV inhibitors that 303 Protectant, & Vinylex and a couple others do, but that's 1 reason they ( 303 etc.) cost more than Armor All. UV additives are the most expensive ingredients, arguably, in those products, so you get what you pay for to that extent.

Oh, and silicone is in all of them. The difference is the TYPE of silicone. A water based type is the kind that doesn't remove plasticizers from the material (additives in plastics/ vinyl materials that keep them flexible-without it can lead to cracking etc.) .....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/529486-whats-wrong-with-armorall.html

Last edited:
Thanks for this information Synaps.
As a final practical tip anybody who has sticky rubber on the thinner telescope coatings, a cure might be found in the application of carefully cut, green gaffer tape. This forms a shroud and if done carefully it can look quite presentable.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back