• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

buying new opticron kit (1 Viewer)

choughed2bits

kev thomson
Hi there all,

Have been an avid reader of your helpful posts as i after 20 years of using little 7x21 compacts have decided to get over my binocular envy and buy some decent kit. I have a fairly good idea of what i want to test (and probably buy). I am trying to decide between minox br 8x42 bl and opticron verano 8x42 for the bins, and seriously thinking about getting myself an opticron ga 80 ed 80mm scope as well, probably with the hdf zoom.

Any feedback on my choices and possible alternatives would be welcome as i am planning a wee drive down to England in the near future to test some kit first hand before i buy anything.

The real reason i am posting here however, is for advice as to whether i'd be best to wait until the new year sales. I was also intending to buy this stuff over the internet, probably for the best price (www.swoptics.co.uk look best so far although don't do the minox bins).

If there are any pitfalls that i might be overlooking i'd gladly heed your advice.

Yours in anticipation, aye the canny Scot,

Kev

Hi Kev.

I'm using the Opticron ES80GA ED with HDF T Zoom lens 40862.

Its the first scope iv ever had and i was so pleased to look through it the first time and to be amazed how clear and bright it is and small and light to carry where ever you go.

Its a big thumbs up from me:smoke:

del

Hi Kev,

The opticron es80ed is probably the best value high performance scope from opticron, and with the hdf zoom its brilliant, really gives the more expensive brands a run for there money. As for the binoculars, the updated opticron countryman bga pc oasis are excellent, and cheaper than the Verano, both the countryman 8x42 and 10x42 are excellent. Try sherwoods for price (@ binocularhouse.com, and service)

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back