• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HD Camcorder for videoscoping (1 Viewer)

Nick k

I'm trying to find a new camcorder for 'videoscoping" At the moment I have a Panasonic NV-GS44 which has served me pretty well, but is on it's last legs. It's obviously a MiniDV tape camcorder.
I'm finding it really difficult to find a suitable replacement. I have been looking at the Panasonic HCD-SD9. It is a so called "High Definition" model and records to an SD card. It's 10x optical zoom, so that's fine. What I'm unsure about it the HD bit.
Does anybody know if these type of camcorders produce a 'better' image. ie: am I really likely to get improved footage? Also I like to take 'grabs' and wonder if the HD models will produce better quality?
If anybody has experience with this, or similar models I would be grateful.
Thanks.
PS I note there is a similar post below and am just trying to generate a few more replies on the subject.

Last edited:
I'm using the Panasonic HDC-SD5. In my opinion, the panasonic camcorders may very well be the very best ones for videoscoping. The reason is the Panasonics allow the removal of the front cover so the videoscoping eyepiece can seat closer to the camcorder lens. This greatly facilitate the ability to remove vignetting.

I've been looking at other makes but they don't have that feature so they are less than ideal.

Here are some of my HD videoscopes I've posted online...notice no vignetting:

http://www.vimeo.com/2704606

The HD camcorders really do result in superior image quality when given enough light. That's shouldn't be an issue when videoscoping since the spotter acts as a massive light gatherer.

Message me if you need more info or like some pics of my setup.

Last edited:
I've been using a Sony SR5E HD video camera on my scope for about a year now. I ""skimmed" the scope lens to get it closer to the camera to reduce vignetting, but still get some mainly due to the Wide screen image.

Certainly, in good light, you can get some really good images from video grabs, this is the very reason I used this setup in the first place.

Spot the bird, switch to record, find bird and zoom in if needed. Grab the frame you want on the PC.
What you won't get (at least I don't) are images that match the ones some are getting with still cameras, but birds never seem to sit still for me :)

Den

Last edited:
Poledark,
Thanks for your reply.
I'll have a look at the SR5E HD
Is it possible for you to post a couple of examples - or a link to - some of your 'grabs' obtained with this camera?

Here is what I mean by removable cover in the attached picts.

Try this video then:

http://www.vimeo.com/1623502

I also fixed the setting to the previous video.

I'll email some captures to you at full resolution. Is there a email I can send to those full HD resolution captures?

Attachments

• 2009_0201530104.JPG
    2009_0201530104.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 370
  • 2009_0201530105.JPG
    2009_0201530105.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 684

Thanks, can you send the flickr links again as they don't seem to work. Can't seem to see the video either. Can you get successful 'grabs' from your video footage from this set-up. ie: not the 'stills' button on the camcorder but a frame extracted from the video itself?

Thanks Tom, worked that time.
Your set up looks excellent.
Those grabs are pretty good quality.
Can I ask: I note the grabs are 640 x 480 (96KB) in size. Is that the maximum size of grab you can take?
I had been led to believe that using a HD camcorder at the highest setting:"Full HD", you have a video size of 1920 x 1080 with any grabs taken therefore of the same size and a higher resolution ?
Thanks for your help with all these questions!

I have an exif reading of 3840x2160 4.23MB for my video grabs from the SR5E. It varies a bit re the MB but is always around 4MB for a straight "grab" using the supplied Sony software.

Be aware, you will need a powerful PC to deal with the HD, or you may end up just using the standard setting.

One of our members (Pabs) bought the SR5E on my recomendation and ended up buying a new PC as well.

Sony recomend this spec..Pentium 4 2.8ghz 3.6 preferred.
1gb memory preferred
10Gb storage for processing the HD files.

Display Direct X 7 or later video card minimum 1024x768 16bit colour.

Can I suggest that if you do go down the HD route, that you also purchase a 20or 22inch monitor, the images superb! Mine is a Samsung Rose Black 22"

Den

I have an exif reading of 3840x2160 4.23MB for my video grabs from the SR5E. It varies a bit re the MB but is always around 4MB for a straight "grab" using the supplied Sony software.

Be aware, you will need a powerful PC to deal with the HD, or you may end up just using the standard setting.

One of our members (Pabs) bought the SR5E on my recomendation and ended up buying a new PC as well.

Sony recomend this spec..Pentium 4 2.8ghz 3.6 preferred.
1gb memory preferred
10Gb storage for processing the HD files.

Display Direct X 7 or later video card minimum 1024x768 16bit colour.

Can I suggest that if you do go down the HD route, that you also purchase a 20or 22inch monitor, the images superb! Mine is a Samsung Rose Black 22"

Den

Thanks for all that valuable info, much appreciated.

I'm using the Panasonic HDC-SD5. In my opinion, the panasonic camcorders may very well be the very best ones for videoscoping. The reason is the Panasonics allow the removal of the front cover so the videoscoping eyepiece can seat closer to the camcorder lens. This greatly facilitate the ability to remove vignetting.

I've been looking at other makes but they don't have that feature so they are less than ideal.

Here are some of my HD videoscopes I've posted online...notice no vignetting:

http://www.vimeo.com/2704606

The HD camcorders really do result in superior image quality when given enough light. That's shouldn't be an issue when videoscoping since the spotter acts as a massive light gatherer.

Message me if you need more info or like some pics of my setup.

Hi Can, I have been looking for an HD camcorder for videoscoping (but not just) and was looking at the Pana SD-100. Superficially, it looks like the SD-5. Do you know if the front comes off this model as well? I checked it out in a local store today, but all I got when it was on my scope was a little dot of white light in the center of the screen. I was [almost] distraught :stuck: At the very least, frustrated with not being able to find anything that worked well. That was before I read that the Panas can have the front removed. How easy is it?

Do you or anyone else know anything about the SD100?
Any better suggestions?

And Can, what scope and adaptor are you using?

Thank you for your help. If I can find something useful over the weekend then I can get it before leaving for Kazakhstan next weekend. :t:

From the picture of the SD100, it looks like the front is removable. All you have to do is hold on the silvery front cover and twist counter clockwise and it should come off. That front cover does look quite thick making the distance between your eyepiece and camcorder lens rather far. Try going back to the store and removing it and see if you have better luck. (The HDC-SD9 looks like it definitely has the removable front cover...)

Here is the list of eyepieces I have tested that works:

Works with front cover on:
William Optics DCL-4337
Siebert Performance 35mm

Works with front cover removed:
Above 2
Scopetronix 14mm
Pentax XW 20mm

Of the 4 eyepieces, the DCL-4337 screws straight in. It already comes with built in 37mm threads. The other 3 I use step rings to convert them to 37mm. The Siebert I also use the the Digi-Kit from http://cncsupplyinc.com/ (click "Telescope" link under "Other Adapters") to add threads that allow me to connect the Siebert Performance to the camcorder.

I use APO refractors (like the WO 66SD, Orion EON) and the Pentax PF100 spotter. All of them take the standard 1.25" eyepieces that I listed above. You can try the Universal T Adapter and a T to 37mm step ring if you are using different eyepieces (all available from cncsupplyinc.com - click "Microscope" under the "Other Adapters" section).

What scope/eyepiece combo are you planning to use? Where to in Kazakstan? That's country is located in middle of nowhere Asia but has some beautiful mountains on the eastern side, I hear.

Last edited:
From the picture of the SD100, it looks like the front is removable. All you have to do is hold on the silvery front cover and twist counter clockwise and it should come off. That front cover does look quite thick making the distance between your eyepiece and camcorder lens rather far. Try going back to the store and removing it and see if you have better luck. (The HDC-SD9 looks like it definitely has the removable front cover...)

Here is the list of eyepieces I have tested that works:

Works with front cover on:
William Optics DCL-4337
Siebert Performance 35mm

Works with front cover removed:
Above 2
Scopetronix 14mm
Pentax XW 20mm

Of the 4 eyepieces, the DCL-4337 screws straight in. It already comes with built in 37mm threads. The other 3 I use step rings to convert them to 37mm. The Siebert I also use the the Digi-Kit from http://cncsupplyinc.com/ (click "Telescope" link under "Other Adapters") to add threads that allow me to connect the Siebert Performance to the camcorder.

I use APO refractors (like the WO 66SD, Orion EON) and the Pentax PF100 spotter. All of them take the standard 1.25" eyepieces that I listed above. You can try the Universal T Adapter and a T to 37mm step ring if you are using different eyepieces (all available from cncsupplyinc.com - click "Microscope" under the "Other Adapters" section).

What scope/eyepiece combo are you planning to use? Where to in Kazakstan? That's country is located in middle of nowhere Asia but has some beautiful mountains on the eastern side, I hear.

Hi Can, thank you for the help. I am sitting in my car outside a local electronics store - telescope in hand - waiting for office hours and preparing for Italy (the trip directly after Kazakhstan) - got to take advantage of the spring!

My scope is an 80mm Swaro. If I need to squeeze 20mm of eyerelief out of the ocular (as you suggested somewhere else) then I will have to use my 30xwide lens, although I was hoping to use the new zoom lens.

I believe that Kazakhstan is just to the east of the absolute center of the middle of no-where :t: But it does have Ibisbill, Sociable Plover and a dizzying array of Redstarts, Accentors and other day-dream birds!

I will be posting lots of video and photos on my blog as soon as I can (hopefully even while I am there ;) )

A friend ended up buying the Panasonic SD100 which I imagine I will end up using a whole lot while in Kazakhstan and Italy.
I'll post some of the results when I get back.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back