• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How David Sibley Paints (1 Viewer)

interesting to see - though I have to be honest - it looks a bit of a mess at that size, maybe I need to judge what I do less and it'll get better. Interesting use of the projector, I've often thought about getting something similar to use.

For anyone curious, a nice recent example of how Sibley draws. A reminder that it isn't mandatory to draw with a soft pencil and effortless-seeming sweepy curves...

Here he is just carefully working it out with a pencil, more little repositioned lines on top until it is looks right.

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2010/02/identification-of-spoon-billed-sandpiper/

You beat me to it Ed! I thought about posting this link the other day then got caught up in other things. What a great link though. I hope Colleen reads it since we were talking about lines that searched for form rather than grasping it immediately on her thread a week or so ago.

What a great link:t:, I use his guide, but didn't know anything about him. Besides the relief of being able to scribble til it's right, I was in awe of his ability to really observe the bird, and then to write it so clearly

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back