• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EII's or SE's better? (1 Viewer)

This thread started out by which Model is better. The problems some have had with the
loose rubber armor on the E II, easily tells me the SE is better. I think the view through the
SE is superb.

Hello ND Hunter,

I am going to write on my experiences with the 8x32 SE and the 8x30 EII.

Every binocular is a design compromise: optics, ergonomics and price are all considerations for the designer. The SE, as Henry Link may have written, is a $400 binocular with $250 eyepieces, or something similar. However,the trade off was between good resolution across almost the whole field, in the SE and a rather wide field of view in the EII. It would seem that the SE uses longer focal length objectives, which might help in reducing chromatic aberrations. The leatherette on the EII, as opposed to rubber like armouring is probably a cost cutting measure.
Some people find the SE to be too unfriendly and a few people find the EII's wider field to be unpleasant or disturbing. Some folks cannot afford the SE and others cannot abide the leatherette and compact size of the EII.

I found that both had a fault for wearers of spectacles, who keep the eyecups down: annoying reflections off the eyepiece from strong backlight or side lighting, especially in the winter. I might have kept my EII but I preferred the total package of the Zeiss FL 8x32, which among other things is probably more robust than the EII.

Needless to write, your needs and preferences differ from mine.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Needless to write, your needs and preferences differ from mine.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Agreed. Maybe at the dizzying heights of optical mania that we Lost Boys of the BF bino-forum inhabit, preferences are almost entirely personal and subjective. Among the alpha binos (including many that aren´t alpha-priced), each model has unique features not shared with others...very hard to say if one is "better" than another. Personal preference may draw one to one or other such feature, but unfortunately for the fickle-hearted (i.e. yours truly), such personal preferences aren´t immutable. I wish my EII´s had the robust build, customer service and sharpness of my SV´s. I wish my SV´s had the weight and balance of my EII 10x. I wish roofs had the 3D of porros, or Canon IS had the optics of any of the above. I wish they were all priced like ZR´s. Wanting to "have" each unique feature is what leads me into the lunacy of buying and selling binoculars. But it gives me something to do when the World Cup is on;).

Back to topic (kind of) I just ordered a pair of Bushwackers for my EII´s. Thanks to Richt and Brock for the advice, I´ll confirm on receipt if they fit 8x and 10x.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky! I can use them both and I love both of them! Kind of like children who are fraternal twins!o:D
Bob

Some thoughts on the subject of re-attaching loose armoring and other coverings of cameras and binoculars.

I've always been uncomfortable with the use of glues and epoxies because of their permanence. If misapplied they can make a mess. Also, sometimes coverings need to be removed for service/repair procedures.

It has been my observation that the original attachment compound for rubber armoring is almost always a removable elastic adhesive material, akin to rubber cement, but with better tolerance of shear forces. I've tried double-sided carpet tapes and similar, but they don't have long-term holding power (the armoring, if under a bit of tension, will lift in time and has to be pressed on again to resecure) and they are too thick for some applications. I searched in vain for a source of such rubbery cement, and the closest thing I could find comes in caulk tubes (i.e. not convenient for small jobs).

Recently, I got more serious about finding a solution, and learned about a 3M product--their F9469PC VHB Transfer Tape, which I'm EXTREMELY impressed with. This stuff is very thin, extremely high bond, easier to control than glue (the adhesive is applied as a tape), and yet can be removed if necessary. So far, I've found that once two surfaces are bonded with it, they stay firmly attached, even at very high temperatures. It's truly extraordinary, and will ever after occupy a place of honor in my collection of household adhesives (I've found lots of uses besides cameras and binocs!). It's a simple/basic product, and not very flashy, but I regard it as one of the greatest technological achievements of our time. Seriously, check out these specifications (see attached, especially p. 2)!

--AP

Attachments

• VHB-AT.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 363
I think you may have the most elegant solution so far Alexis. I don't have a delaminating bin currently but I'm thankful to be made aware of this stuff :t:

added: I've looked into this a bit since your post and have a question: Have you had occasion to undo something you've bonded with this tape?

For future service of a bin, this might be too powerful

Last edited:
It sounds like a great product, Alexis! The only problem I see with using it on the EII is that there isn't a straight flat surface anywhere on the binocular body, which is where the loosening occurs. It is a series of rolling waves. Now if you can get it in a roll that is close to the exact width of the covering (Or if you can trim it thus from the roll.) then it might just be the ticket!
Bob

It sounds like a great product, Alexis! The only problem I see with using it on the EII is that there isn't a straight flat surface anywhere on the binocular body, which is where the loosening occurs. It is a series of rolling waves. Now if you can get it in a roll that is close to the exact width of the covering (Or if you can trim it thus from the roll.) then it might just be the ticket!
Bob

There's no solid material in the tape--it is a very thin layer of elastic adhesive sandwiched between two layers of peel-off backing--so it can be trimmed, folded on itself, stretched slightly etc to conform to any smooth solid surface. I've not had to reattach the armor of my EII, so I can't comment on that use specifically, but I've used it with great success on a variety of other projects where armoring had loosened from contoured areas. I've found it easiest to cut the tape in pieces to stick to the housing, making sure to cover all areas that define the perimeter of the armoring piece, then fill in most (but not 100%) of the area within that perimeter with some larger pieces, then align the armor and press it into place, usually by placing and pressing the edges first.

--AP

There's no solid material in the tape--it is a very thin layer of elastic adhesive sandwiched between two layers of peel-off backing--so it can be trimmed, folded on itself, stretched slightly etc to conform to any smooth solid surface. I've not had to reattach the armor of my EII, so I can't comment on that use specifically, but I've used it with great success on a variety of other projects where armoring had loosened from contoured areas. I've found it easiest to cut the tape in pieces to stick to the housing, making sure to cover all areas that define the perimeter of the armoring piece, then fill in most (but not 100%) of the area within that perimeter with some larger pieces, then align the armor and press it into place, usually by placing and pressing the edges first.

--AP

Boy those Nikon 10x35 EII's are awesome binoculars. They are easily optically as good as anything I have ever seen and probably the best view I have seen. I think I like the view better than my Nikon 8x32 SE's because as everybody has said the huge FOV makes you feel like you are there in the picture. Incredible optics and very nice construction, smooth focus and light weight. They fit my hands just perfect. Very, very sweet pair of binoculars. As good optically as the top alphas and maybe better for 1/5 the price. WOW! Get a pair while they are still available or you will be sorry. I got them from Hong Kong in TWO DAYS! AMAZING!

Agreed. Maybe at the dizzying heights of optical mania that we Lost Boys of the BF bino-forum inhabit, preferences are almost entirely personal and subjective. Among the alpha binos (including many that aren´t alpha-priced), each model has unique features not shared with others...very hard to say if one is "better" than another. Personal preference may draw one to one or other such feature, but unfortunately for the fickle-hearted (i.e. yours truly), such personal preferences aren´t immutable. I wish my EII´s had the robust build, customer service and sharpness of my SV´s. I wish my SV´s had the weight and balance of my EII 10x. I wish roofs had the 3D of porros, or Canon IS had the optics of any of the above. I wish they were all priced like ZR´s. Wanting to "have" each unique feature is what leads me into the lunacy of buying and selling binoculars. But it gives me something to do when the World Cup is on;).

Back to topic (kind of) I just ordered a pair of Bushwackers for my EII´s. Thanks to Richt and Brock for the advice, I´ll confirm on receipt if they fit 8x and 10x.

I like it Sancho :king: hehehe and I myself also using SE now kekekeke ;) which I find much sharper than my HG L

Boy those Nikon 10x35 EII's are awesome binoculars. They are easily optically as good as anything I have ever seen and probably the best view I have seen. I think I like the view better than my Nikon 8x32 SE's because as everybody has said the huge FOV makes you feel like you are there in the picture. Incredible optics and very nice construction, smooth focus and light weight. They fit my hands just perfect. Very, very sweet pair of binoculars. As good optically as the top alphas and maybe better for 1/5 the price. WOW! Get a pair while they are still available or you will be sorry. I got them from Hong Kong in TWO DAYS! AMAZING!

Welcome to the EII's Fan Club Dennis B :)

Congratulations, Dennis. That´s exactly the reaction I was hoping for, after having recommended them (phew!;)). The only binos I´ve experienced that better the EII´s optically are the Swarovisions (IMHO). And the EII´s are wider, with 3D, and lighter. Enjoy!

(I think you´ll understand now why I considered off-loading the SV´s some weeks ago. As long as you don´t swim with your binos, EII´s are as much as anyone needs, no?;))

Last edited:
The only binos I´ve experienced that better the EII´s optically are the Swarovisions (IMHO). And the EII´s are wider, with 3D, and lighter. Enjoy!

And about 1/5 (.20) the cost

Even for that once-in-a-lifetime safari, you could take 3 of them (2 for back-up) and still save a bundle.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Dennis. That´s exactly the reaction I was hoping for, after having recommended them (phew!;)). The only binos I´ve experienced that better the EII´s optically are the Swarovisions (IMHO). And the EII´s are wider, with 3D, and lighter. Enjoy!

(I think you´ll understand now why I considered off-loading the SV´s some weeks ago. As long as you don´t swim with your binos, EII´s are as much as anyone needs, no?;))

Sancho:

Now that is quite a vote for the Nikon porros ;), there have been 52 posts in only 1 weeks time and all have exclaimed the greatness of the Nikons. By the way, I wish this would have posted on the Nikon forum.

And this seems to be a high recommendation from you, who has the newest Swaro. the Swarovision, and by many the most advanced bin available today.

Even compared to the top roofs available today, these Nikon porros just seem
to offer a great viewing pleasure, and in my humble estimation, will not be available in the future. o:D

Jerry

Hello Sancho,

I know a physicist, who is interested in optics, with a similar point of view. There are binoculars with marginally better performance but they cost so much more that he happily uses the 8x30 EII.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Last edited:
The Great Nikon Porros

Sancho:

Now it seems that you were correct in your observation of the Nikon E II.

Arthur has affirmed the greatness of your evaluation and you did the right thing when wanting to put the Swarovision up for sale. ;) You know great optics sir.

I think it is great when you can purchase one of the finest binoculars in the world, and I am talking about the Nkon E II, and SE, and it seems they are still building them, at a price that is a fraction, of the latest Alphas. The porro will give you a view not available elsewhere.

Isn't this what makes optics forums fun !! o:D

Jerry

The 10x35 EII's are amazing! They are so CUTE! Here is this little porro-prism that looks like a quality Tasco in appearance and then you look through it and it just blows you away with the image. They fit your hands perfectly and they are light! I am in Grand Junction, Colorado so I just got back from the new Cabellas and I looked at the new Swarovision's and the ONLY thing they have over the EII's is that they are sharper at the edge. The Swarovision's are the only binocular I have EVER seen that are as sharp at the edge as they are in the center. BUT the EII's have a wider FOV and as you said are lighter. As I said I like the view better on the EII's than my Nikon 8x32 SE's and they are the best binoculars I have ever looked through. So I would have to say the EII's are the best binocular I have ever looked though for me. The ER is perfect because I don't wear glasses but if you did it might be a little short. The focus is butter smooth and they are light. The #6 Bushwacker objective covers fit perfectly and I used the Nikon strap and A Tamrac case I had laying around which was a perfect fit. The EII's will make you a believer in porro-prisms and has been said it is very sad they are discontinued. I e-mailed Nikon about the delamination problem on the leatherette and they said they have never even heard about it. The only problem with the Nikon 10x35 EII's is now I want the 8x30 EII's also. Fantastic little porro-prisms.

My beloved friend Sancho :king:

What makes you choose the EII than SE ?

Go for it. Just remember they are not waterproof or sealed which could be a problem in a tropical climate.

If I get the EII, this together with the SE would be my backup bino in my birding tours because my main working bino is the 8x32 HG L ;)

My beloved friend Sancho :king:

What makes you choose the EII than SE ?

If I get the EII, this together with the SE would be my backup bino in my birding tours because my main working bino is the 8x32 HG L ;)

Horukuru:

Just to chime in here, you are well equipped, with the HG l, and the SE, you have 2 of the best Nikon offers. This thread does offer a lot of puff for the E II, but I would say to be content.

You have mentioned interest in the EDG, so save up for that one, they are really nice !! And soon will be heading your way. ;)

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back