• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EII's or SE's better? (1 Viewer)

A few opinions on the Nikon E IIs and SEs. Have had a number go through my hands and have kept the 10x35 EII and 8x32 SE and 12x50 SE. The 8x30 EIIs have that wonderful field and the 10x35 EIIs seem somewhat special in overall resolution. But there is one significant difference between the EIIs and the SEs, and it isn't the optics. The SEs are simply more robust. The 8 EIIs are too stubby for my extra large hands, and the recessed covering more for cosmetics - certainly not for function. And they don't stay glued. Any binocular with uncovered metal lids and beauty rings will accentuate the shock when they bang into hard objects, which seem to be always present when using binoculars. For the ultra careful user, the EIIs will be just fine. But they won't take the banging around when compared to the SEs. I've managed to drop the EIIs and the SEs, and can speak from experience the EIIs can't take the punishment the SEs will absorb.
Why Nikon didn't cover the EIIs with rubber is one of those mysteries only they can explain. My Zeiss 8x32 FL is for wet conditions and my 8x32 SE for general use. The 10x35 EII is my "house" glass for use from the deck. I consider the NIkon EIIs to be really good glasses handicapped only by their exterior construction. John

I personally like the leatherette covering the EII's. I like the way it feels in my hands, I like the classic retro look of it and it makes them lighter than the SE's. I agree they might not take being dropped, as well as, the SE but I personally have never dropped any of my binoculars. I guess it depends on how rough you are with your binoculars. It is kind of like a fine firearm. You wouldn't want to drop it anyway. I like the exposed classic beauty of the EII's. I guess for me it comes down to the view also. I am willing to risk a little more damage if I drop the binocular for the big FOV and easy eye placement of the EII's versus the SE's. When going back to the SE's the FOV seems like a small tunnel compared to the EII's. Nikon warranties them for 25 years right. If you drop them and screw them up send them back to Nikon and for $10.00 they fix them. Heck, they are only $400.00 compared to $2000.00 plus for todays alphas. I still would worry less about an EII versus a Swarovision. There is a signifigant difference in the optics between the two. Nikon designed their optics differently for a different view. I personally prefer the view through the EII's. One is not better than the other it just depends on what type of view you prefer. To me the EII's seem more lifelike and real when I look through them. To me one of the best views I have ever seen. I am like you though. The EII's are my fair weather binocular and the Zeiss 8x32 FL's are my bad weather and all purpose binocular. Isn't it funny how we have both come down to two binoculars that we like and our choice is almost the same.

Dennis - Several years ago I had a fellow from Pennsylvania talk me out of my 8x30 EIIs. He had been looking for one without success. Sold them for $200. During the "negotiations" he wasn't too sure he wasn't being charged too much. I told him to return them if not satisfied. Haven't heard a word from him. Hmmmmmm. Happy viewing! John

Isn't it funny how we have both come down to two binoculars that we like and our choice is almost the same.

I´m now down to two favourites also, the EII´s and the Swarovisions. (Don´t need any of ´em because I´ve lapsed from birding). I don´t really think the EII´s are particularly vulnerable because of the lack of armouring - no more so than one´s mobile phone, iPod or collar-bone. I did drop my first pair of EII 10x35 once, they got knocked out of collimation and Nikon UK repaired them beautifully. That simply taught me to be more careful with my EII´s;). But even a well-armoured pair of roofs would have been damaged from a drop of the kind they suffered, which was from a table about three feet onto concrete.

BTW, it´s testimony to the EII´s that a thread on them elicits over seventy posts, more than five years after people first thought they were about to disappear.

Last edited:
I´m now down to two favourites also, the EII´s and the Swarovisions. (Don´t need any of ´em because I´ve lapsed from birding). I don´t really think the EII´s are particularly vulnerable because of the lack of armouring - no more so than one´s mobile phone, iPod or collar-bone. I did drop my first pair of EII 10x35 once, they got knocked out of collimation and Nikon UK repaired them beautifully. That simply taught me to be more careful with my EII´s;). But even a well-armoured pair of roofs would have been damaged from a drop of the kind they suffered, which was from a table about three feet onto concrete.

BTW, it´s testimony to the EII´s that a thread on them elicits over seventy posts, more than five years after people first thought they were about to disappear.

So now that you've lapsed from birding, what do you plan to do with your EII and SV EL?

May I suggest train spotting? The best part, I think, is that trains don't fly south for the winter so you can train spot all year round!

NB: You might want to get into soon before it's banned in Ireland:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/582956-trainspotting-ban-sparks-anger

Btw, I had my 8x30 EII out today in 89* F weather for a half hour (the humidity wasn't high, and I was sitting in my heavily wooded backyard, which blocks most of the sun, which is the only reason I could be out in the heat; when the humidity is high, like it was on Saturday when it was 95* F, the "Real Feel" temp was close to 100*).

I was careful about handling the EII in this heat. I gripped them by the Bushwackers at the end and the EP housings at the front and kept my hands off the armor as much as possible to prevent it from bubbling up or peeling. That's my only real criticism of the EII, the shoddy armoring.

Otherwise, the views are stunning. I was watching a Redbelly Woodpecker at my suet feeder, and a house finch (female) and a titmouse at the tube feeder. I also spotted a nuthatch on a tree nearby (about 20 ft.). So I got a very good look. What a long, narrow beak! Like needle nose pliers. Great for poking behind bark for insects and hiding sunflower seeds.

The EII is my favorite for backyard birding. I use the 8x32 SE or ZR 7x36 for when I'm out and about, depending on the lighting, though this month I haven't been out and about too often because we've had a heat wave mooreorless since the second week of July.

Last edited:

I received the Nikon 8x30 EII's today and they like the 10x35 EII's are awesome. Shipped from Hong Kong in three days for $400.00. Of course they have a wider FOV and the barrels are shorter which I like. Actually they are quite compact and feel very nice in the hand. These two pairs of Nikon EII's are without a doubt the best binoculars optically I have ever had the pleasure to look through. Huge FOV and easy eye placement with plenty of ER if you do not wear glasses. The 8X and the 10X are visually similar except for the increased magnification and decreased FOV. Incredibly bright and sharp. Very close to the SE in edge sharpness. The huge FOV just gives you the feeling you are looking out a BIG picture window! I have had both of the SE's including the 8x32 SE's and the 10x42 SE's and I MUCH prefer the EII's over the SE's. I plan on keeping both the 8X and the 10X because each one has it's attributes. I will probably sell the Nikon 8x32 SE(Never thought I would say that) because I don't see myself using it anymore. Henry Link and everybody else who wrote the positive reviews on these things thanks alot. You are absolutely right. The EII's are the best bargain I have ever seen in binoculars and the best view I have ever had. Please why you still have the chance give these little EII's a try. I HIGHLY recommend them!

:-OLOL! It´s a tough call. What I need is faraway things that I need to see up close. I´ll have to think about it.....

Tonite I took the best porro-prism in the world the Nikon 8x30 EII and compared it to the best roof-prism in the world the Zeiss 8x32 FL. To cut to the chase I preferred the view of the Nikon. The ONLY advantage I could see through the Zeiss was the edge is slightly sharper and that is really not that much of an advantage because the FOV on the EII is so wide you have to roll your eyes around to see it! There both about equally sharp with a slight advantage going to the Nikon and their both about equally bright. Contrast is excellent in both and CA is pretty much non-existent. What made the Nikon the winner was the bigger FOV, less finicky optics(an easier view), and that tremendous 3D view. With the Nikon's it is like you are standing INSIDE the binoculars looking out instead of looking down a tunnel. The Nikon's just present a more REAL view of the bird and nature. The Nikon EII's just provide an incredible viewing experience for the money.

Tonite I took the best porro-prism in the world the Nikon 8x30 EII and compared it to the best roof-prism in the world the Zeiss 8x32 FL. To cut to the chase I preferred the view of the Nikon. The ONLY advantage I could see through the Zeiss was the edge is slightly sharper and that is really not that much of an advantage because the FOV on the EII is so wide you have to roll your eyes around to see it! There both about equally sharp with a slight advantage going to the Nikon and their both about equally bright. Contrast is excellent in both and CA is pretty much non-existent. What made the Nikon the winner was the bigger FOV, less finicky optics(an easier view), and that tremendous 3D view. With the Nikon's it is like you are standing INSIDE the binoculars looking out instead of looking down a tunnel. The Nikon's just present a more REAL view of the bird and nature. The Nikon EII's just provide an incredible viewing experience for the money.

So you like them then Dennis3:)

Welcome to the "EII Club" - an elite club which will admit only the most discerning members, who appreciate the finest things in life, things of the highest quality, yet which are subtle and descreet - anybody seen ostentatiously displaying an "Alpha" will be blackballed instantly|:D|

Enjoy.B :)

Paul

Last edited:

Welcome to the "EII Club" - an elite club which will admit only the most discerning memebrs, who appreciate the finest things in life, things of the highest quality, yet which are subtle and descreet - anybody seen ostentatiously displaying and "Alpha" will be blackballed instantly|:D|

Paul

Agreed o:)

Last edited:

Welcome to the "EII Club" - an elite club which will admit only the most discerning memebrs, who appreciate the finest things in life, things of the highest quality, yet which are subtle and descreet - anybody seen ostentatiously displaying an "Alpha" will be blackballed instantly|:D|

Paul

And welcome to the anguish I feel every time I'm asked for a recommendation of the cheapest bin with the best optics. In the USA, it used to be easy to find the 8x30 EII, new, for $250 or less. It's such a shame that it is no longer distributed here, and that we don't have a comparable replacement from any other manufacturer.

--AP

And welcome to the anguish I feel every time I'm asked for a recommendation of the cheapest bin with the best optics. In the USA, it used to be easy to find the 8x30 EII, new, for $250 or less. It's such a shame that it is no longer distributed here, and that we don't have a comparable replacement from any other manufacturer.

--AP

Alexis - they are getting harder to come by over here, people should snap them up whilst they still can.

Alexis - they are getting harder to come by over here, people should snap them up whilst they still can.

It´s odd, though, how you can still find dealers who can get them, even if it´s on back-order. I don´t understand Nikon´s rationale - why would they continue to make such tiny production runs of a fairly cheap binocular? Surely the cost of such tiny runs would outweigh the revenue they generate for Nikon? (Not complaining, mind you, I´m glad I got mine;))

It´s odd, though, how you can still find dealers who can get them, even if it´s on back-order. I don´t understand Nikon´s rationale - why would they continue to make such tiny production runs of a fairly cheap binocular? Surely the cost of such tiny runs would outweigh the revenue they generate for Nikon? (Not complaining, mind you, I´m glad I got mine;))

It's a pity there isn't a Nikon rep on the Forum, like some of the other makers - then we could find the truth - it is out there you know!

I have just noticed that they and the SE's are in the latest 2010-2011 Nikon sports optics brochure, so they still must be being made.
http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dl/catalogue/NikonSportOptics2010-2011.pdf

Last edited:
It's a pity there isn't a Nikon rep on the Forum, like some of the other makers - then we could find the truth - it is out there you know!

Don't bet on it. He/she probably wouldn't know anything either. Nikon's a big outfit and their attitude toward us lowly birders is seemingly one of disregard.

The fact there is no Nikon person visiting these forums kind of bears this out.

Go buy a Fieldscope, they're still listed in the catalog. Oh yeah, hope you like the zoom EP cause they apparently don't make any others for them now.

I've got a love/hate thing goin' on here :-C

Welcome to the "EII Club" - an elite club which will admit only the most discerning members, who appreciate the finest things in life, things of the highest quality, yet which are subtle and descreet - anybody seen ostentatiously displaying an "Alpha" will be blackballed instantly|:D|

Paul

Boy those 8x30 EII's are high quality little puppies too. Actually the construction is a thing of beauty. I like the short stubby size too. Fit my hands nice. Real sweet binoculars!

Nikon's a big outfit and their attitude toward us lowly birders is seemingly one of disregard.

Unfortunately, it's very much the same on the imaging (photo and imaging software) side as well.

Yes, those EII really are a remarkable product. Consider, especially at their former <$250 selling price, that they relegate ~99% of other birding binoculars (regardless of price) to the category of superfluous diversity. That's my opinion anyway. The only reason they didn't take over the market was because of lack of awareness (= anti-porro prejudice + weak marketing). Imagine how much cheaper they could have been if a larger volume were sold. They were the potential VW bug of binoculars that never came to be.

Add some rubber rims around the objectives, switch the focusing drive grease to something that doesn't stiffen in the cold, and change the neckstrap attachment to improve their hang, and the EII could be the greatest traditional birding porro of and for all time.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back