• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scope v Nikon Scope EDG Fieldscope 85 (2 Viewers)

birdybill

Hi,
I am looking to buy a decent Scope and have narrowed it down to two.

The Vortex Razor HD Spotting Scope v Nikon Scope EDG Fieldscope 85.

Which is the best out of the two if the price was the same, and the mag was 20 x 60.

Thanks in advance.............................

Bill you can go back and change your first post with no trouble and delete the others if need be. Just hit edit and change or delete.

Like I just did with this. If you make a mistake with new post you can edit it right away and it will show not edited, later it will show edit. Not sure how long before you can not edit again. There is a reason for editing box you can write on if you want, you don't have to.

Vortex has a very good warranty. I am not sure on Nikon in UK. Best advise is try both side by side.

Last edited:
Seems like an unfair comparison to me... the Nikon is twice more expensive than the Vortex.

If you manage to find those for the same price... I would go Nikon.

This would be a no brainer for me. The Vortex Razor HD and save $1000 bucks in the meantime. I wouldn't touch a $2000+ Nikon and their CS with a ten foot pole. Besides that, the EDG is the ugliest spotter I've ever laid eyes on.

I can get either for roughley the same price.
So side by side which is the better scope ???????

Thanks in advance........................

I can get either for roughley the same price.
So side by side which is the better scope ???????

Thanks in advance........................

EDG is better.
But, let me tell you that something must be wrong if the Vortex and the Nikon are the same price.

(It is like a Kowa and a Celestron regal ... for the same price... there is no such thing, something must be wrong with that Kowa to be in the same price range of a Regal)

Last edited:
If You can get those two models for roughly the same price,,,You either would be paying double the usual price of the vortex, or half the current price of the Nikon...No Brainer there... Go Nikon...,because if You dont like it,You can resale it ,and I dont think You would be loosing any money..

Buuut I have no experience with either model,so cant answer Your question about which one is the best scope..

Last edited:
I've never seen any evidence the EDG is better than the Razor HD. For those recommending the EDG, post up your reviews and comparisons of the two. If you recommend it and have never compared them, tell us why? A well respected poster here compared the Razor HD to the Kowa Prominar 884. Although he gave an edge to the Kowa, it wasn't by much, which is why I'd take the Razor, as I have the 884 and I know first hand how good it is. Post 'em up boys if you've got any evidence.

I've never seen any evidence the EDG is better than the Razor HD. For those recommending the EDG, post up your reviews and comparisons of the two. If you recommend it and have never compared them, tell us why? A well respected poster here compared the Razor HD to the Kowa Prominar 884. Although he gave an edge to the Kowa, it wasn't by much, which is why I'd take the Razor, as I have the 884 and I know first hand how good it is. Post 'em up boys if you've got any evidence.

Price is not random. Everything cost money... if there were 2 different builds, one could say that the build "per se" affected the price. Like when you compare a refractor against a Newtonian(No lenses, no cost... at the same price the newtonian is better).

But we are talking here about 2 refractors porro. Same build.
Indeed there are other factors that weight on the price... like where it is built. And some times we see some scopes that are outstanding for their price... but not that awesome to match another more than twice its price. And we are talking here about $3k+ range.

And even if that was the case, Nikon would still be better... as mentioned above; considering both are in perfect condition and with the same price(what is absurd). Then buy the Nikon - Sell it for 2.5k - and buy a new Vortex and you have $1k extra.

As simple as that. Nikon is better in anyway you look at it...(and even if you don´t want to look at it) because in despite of being a better scope it also can be traded for a Vortex+1k.

It is impossible to compare those 2 scopes considering one cost $1.600 and the other $3.500.

It is like comparing refractors to newtonians.

Last edited:
You say the "Nikon is better in anyway you look at it", but you haven't looked through it and judge it by price alone. Makes sense to me........

Price,s i have is,

In pound sterling is,

£ 1490 for the Vortex

£ 1700 for the Nikon

Both with the 20x60 Lens

I really need to know which to go for.

Thanks in advance.............

It,s a once in a lifetime purchase for me to buy something like this...

So which way should i go ????????????

I have the Nikon on hold from a respected local dealer but i will have to make the decision in a few hours

Something seems wrong with that pricing. The Nikon is more than 2x more expensive in the USA. How much of a difference is the older/superior Nikon Fieldscope ED82 w/25x-75x eyepiece?

Anyway, the Nikon is bigger/heavier than Vortex's Kowa-lookalike and uses a helical focuser vs. the 2-speed for the Vortex. I prefer big OEM brands to a rebrander like Vortex so would probably choose the Nikon at this price variation. If the ED82 Fieldscope was cheaper I would choose it.

Price,s i have is,

In pound sterling is,

£ 1490 for the Vortex

£ 1700 for the Nikon

Both with the 20x60 Lens

The vortex is overpriced. Go for the Nikon.
The american dollar is dropping week after week. If you translate the price of that Vortex to dollar you will see that you are paying 2x.

Go for the Nikon EDG 85... for 1.7k is right.

Again, considering the price you mentioned ... go for the Nikon.
(The Vortex is highly over priced and you can buy it for much less from many retailers.)

It,s a once in a lifetime purchase for me to buy something like this...

So which way should i go ????????????

I have the Nikon on hold from a respected local dealer but i will have to make the decision in a few hours

Try them both out first - side by side if you can...... then choose.

Price,s i have is,

In pound sterling is,

£ 1490 for the Vortex

£ 1700 for the Nikon

Both with the 20x60 Lens

I wouldn't buy either, you could get a very good condition Swaro for the price of the Vortex, or less. There have been a couple in the classified section of BF recently.

Best advice is try before you buy side by side if you can. Good luck.

I agree with Neil here...The vortex is very expensive ,even if it does compare with the best ,still doesnt have the same value,if You ever want to resale it..Nikon EDG eyepieces are SUPER EXPENSIVE,so if you want to add to the kit,later on,it will cost You...There is a MINT Nikon Fieldscope ED82 with Zoom AND a 30X eyepiece,in this forum´s FOR SALE section for 800 Pounds!!!!!..That scope has satisfied many of the more exigent birders,and I am sure it represent an amazing Value...It leaves You 900 extra pounds,to take a trip to Doñana!

Last edited:
How much real difference is there between say the Nikon 82ED and the new Nikon EDG.

Is there that much difference say between Nikon 82ED and a Kowa 883 or do you have to really study to tell the difference ??????????

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back