Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 12th February 2012, 23:48   #26
Alexis Powell

A friend of mine is buying new bins and has his eye on the Bushnell 8x36 Legend Ultra HD. Based on the few reviews I've seen, I was expecting to like it as much or more than the 8x42, but the first unit he was shipped is going back to the merchant. In contrast to the 8x42 units I've looked through, the fall-off of sharpness from center to edge was very abrupt and very extreme. They gave the same sensation as many cheap roofs--fine in the center but with a small sweet spot and big doughnut of fuzz around it--sort of a vortex of defocus and aberrations around a clear spot in the eye of the storm. One thing contributing to the small sweet spot was that the sharpest spot was toward the top of the view on the left side and toward the bottom of the view on the right side. I also noted that the horizontal alignment was poor. We'll give another unit or two a try, but I'm skeptical that I'm going to like the 8x36 as much as I do the 8x42. On that note, I tried another 8x42 recently, was again impressed with the view and found the build superior to any of the units I'd seen previously. It was very well aligned, had no ringing/rattling, had a properly calibrated diopter, and no focus knob slop.

--AP
Old Monday 13th February 2012, 05:35   #27
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
A friend of mine is buying new bins and has his eye on the Bushnell 8x36 Legend Ultra HD. Based on the few reviews I've seen, I was expecting to like it as much or more than the 8x42, but the first unit he was shipped is going back to the merchant. In contrast to the 8x42 units I've looked through, the fall-off of sharpness from center to edge was very abrupt and very extreme. They gave the same sensation as many cheap roofs--fine in the center but with a small sweet spot and big doughnut of fuzz around it--sort of a vortex of defocus and aberrations around a clear spot in the eye of the storm. One thing contributing to the small sweet spot was that the sharpest spot was toward the top of the view on the left side and toward the bottom of the view on the right side. I also noted that the horizontal alignment was poor. We'll give another unit or two a try, but I'm skeptical that I'm going to like the 8x36 as much as I do the 8x42. On that note, I tried another 8x42 recently, was again impressed with the view and found the build superior to any of the units I'd seen previously. It was very well aligned, had no ringing/rattling, had a properly calibrated diopter, and no focus knob slop.

--AP
Now I think I understand why Frank buys four or five samples of the same Chinese bin! With his shotgun approach, he's bound to hit upon a good one.

Brock
Old Monday 13th February 2012, 13:44   #28
FrankD

Come on now Brock. You know I don't do that for most of my bins. There have only been a handful that required that approach.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Monday 13th February 2012, 23:05   #29
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
Come on now Brock. You know I don't do that for most of my bins. There have only been a handful that required that approach.

Mmmm... I seem to recall you buying five Leupold 8x42 Cascades. :-) After all that layout, I hope you kept the best sample.

I really liked the ergos on that bin, but the FOV was too tunnelesque. Had they made the Cascades with a degree more FOV, they would have been keepers. Or at least a sample with a focuser I could turn with one finger rather than two.

Like the B&L Discoverer body that was resurrected in the new 820 Audubons, I hope the Leupold Cascade porro body makes a reappearance in a WF bin.

Brock
Old Tuesday 14th February 2012, 13:50   #30
FrankD

Brock,

I certainly agree with everything you posted but doubt we will ever see an internal focusing porro with a wide field eyepiece. There just doesn't seem to be a market for them. I wish somebody would though. As long as the rest of the optical design was well thought out it could potentially be the perfect bin. Oh, and ED glass in the objective as well.

Sadly, no, I did not keep any of the Cascade porros. I sold them all off as my "situation" at the time warranted it. I have tried one sample since then and did own the Opticron HR WP though.

As for the focusing issue, after having owned so many I can certainly say that it was a sample variation issue. There was one unit I had, I think I sold it to Spacepilot, that had a butter smooth focuser that would have hung with the Nikon Venturers in terms of tension.
Old Thursday 8th March 2012, 16:35   #31
Alexis Powell

A quick report on my second round with the Bushnell 8x36 Legend Ultra HD that a friend is buying. The latest unit we tried is a keeper--no focus slop, well aligned and collimated, well assembled. The sweet spot on these is much better than the first unit I tried (because the better centering of lenses), but I would be surprised if any of the 8x36 design would match the more gradual fall-off at the edges that I see in the 8x42 model. The field curvature at the edge of the 8x36 is fairly extreme. I like the 8x42 better for that reason; also because it is so compact and lightweight for an 8x42, the 8x36 is to me all the less tempting. Otherwise, the 8x36 is obviously a member of this amazing new class of budget bins--the "Chinese EDs"--CA is extremely well controlled, and contrast and back lighting performance are exceptionally good by any standard.

--AP
Old Sunday 18th March 2012, 20:32   #32
newfie ghost
Registered Member

I wish i knew then what i know now. This is a great piece of glass for the money, i was surprised when someone handed me a pair. My expectations were low given my experience with the brand and the cheap walmart models as a kid. Boy was i surprised. A lot of glass for the money. Best roof under 300.
Old Monday 19th March 2012, 03:48   #33
brocknroller

I think with Chinese bins, if you get a good one the first time around, you can count yer lucky stars. For best results, you have to do what Frank does with most his bins, buy five samples, "keep the best and sell the rest". A sad but true fact of life at this price point.

Brock
Old Monday 19th March 2012, 05:12   #34
lilcrazy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post
I think with Chinese bins, if you get a good one the first time around, you can count yer lucky stars. For best results, you have to do what Frank does with most his bins, buy five samples, "keep the best and sell the rest". A sad but true fact of life at this price point.

Brock
I'm surprised you are still posting nonsense like this, as I find it almost laughable for its sheer ignorance and predudice. This certainly does not mirror my experience, and if anyone buys and trys more bins than me, I'd certainly be surprised. I guess your vast experience with China bins must trump mine in order for you to post such a definitive statement as this. Or perhaps we should ask Ivan
Old Wednesday 21st March 2012, 03:34   #35
Nixterdemus

Never looked through one, yet I can appreciate the QC, or lack of, being a major factor in landing a keeper in the lower priced yank-chiney ventures. Sure, I bought one of those cheap Caldera models, nuttin' ventured nuttin' gained, though at times some brands/models appear to be more potluck than not. I think mine are great & kept them over the ED2 which became gift fodder.

I'd like to see a detailed review/shootout on the likes of Caldera/Wapiti ED/Ultra HD & throw in the ZR Prime as well whilst it's in the 5 bill range. Sure the Prime will have 60 odd feet FOV on the Wapiti ED, but the top of the line Theron is only 3 1/2 bills.

Anywho, I just didn't warm up to the idea of trying the Ultra HD. Other bins found their way & I started picking up some older bins that I consider a pleasure to look through even if they aren't as bright as later offerings.

Besides, I'm still waiting on Theron to run a sale.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2012, 14:37   #36
FrankD

I thought I just saw a sale on the Wapitio APO last week. Hopefully it wasn't only a a weekly sale.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2012, 15:54   #37
Nixterdemus

Twenty spot off the 10X & oddly enough as I tend to be a fan of higher power I'm looking more @ 8x.
Old Wednesday 4th April 2012, 05:32   #38
barshnik
John F

I bought a 'used like new' 10x42 Legend Ultra HD from Amazon, had them a couple weeks, and returned them for a NEW set. The new ones are really quite good. Amazingly good for the price, and I've had an opportunity to compare to a few other glasses from the Alpha companies.

John F
Old Tuesday 10th July 2012, 18:34   #39
Alexis Powell

Update on Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD focus. One of the issues that I complained about in my previous comments was that I these tend to have a little bit of slop in the focus. I recently tested a unit that had been sent back to Bushnell for a repair of the focus and it came back perfect (zero slop). That unit also has superb optics and no rattle.

--AP
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: