• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Elite's (1 Viewer)

Hi ya'll,
Sorry to butt in to such a devloped exchange but it's too interesting to resist. Here's a link that describes, for some typical general eyepiece types, the varation in eyepiece focal length as the separation between the eyepiece elements is changed:
http://www.astronomyboy.com/eyepieces/ep_calc.shtml

As you can see, as the separation is increased, the focal length of the eyepiece also increases. I don't think the Trinovid's eyepiece is much different from these.

I will not attempt to go an inch further, as I would quickly sink into rash assumptions, foolishness etc.
Ron

Ronh,

Many thanks for the web site. I believe it will play an important part in figuring out a formal solution. Naturally, it's all based on standard lens equations. :t:

Ed

Brock, I am not a member there. Could you ask Borhan to post his info. here in the classifieds please? I am very interested in that binocular.

James,

For a hairdresser, he sells a lot of high end bins. Must get big tips from the ladies. :)

Are you allowed to post ads if you're not a BF member? He might have the same problem reaching you here.

If you send me a PM with your email, I will forward it to him, and you guys can deal directly.

Brock

Yes he does Brock. He buys quite a few too. He bought my 8x32 Meostars, my last Nikon 8x32 SE and my Pentax XP 8x33. He asked me if I was interested in the 7x36 Elite as well as an 8x30 EII plus I did see him list two mint condition 7x35 and 8x30 Es just recently.

BTW - Henry, you don't happen to have that BVD review on file somewhere do you?

I haven't been able to find such a review on the website or anywhere on -line.

No, I don't think there's an Uppendahl in the B&L. Inspection with a flashlight shows it to be quite different to the Leitz' so it's probably the more common Schmidt-Pechan.

I was wrong. I dismantled a Browning 7x35 and found this Uppendahl prism cluster (see pics).

Renze

Attachments

• Upp prism (1).jpg
    Upp prism (1).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Upp prism (2).jpg
    Upp prism (2).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Upp prism (3).jpg
    Upp prism (3).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Upp prism (4).jpg
    Upp prism (4).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 185
Henry,

Oh the photograph shows only the focusing mechanism, as seen from the objectives end of course.

I took a deep breath and rescued the poor Browning from the sewer. Well, here goes (see pics).

The focusing mechanism consists of a a small axle, on which the plate-like thing moves up and down. The right side of the plate has a pin into the central focusing axle, the left side has a kind of 'hand' (the end of the plate set perpendicular) which fits into a small groove in the shiny ocular tube. Inside this shiny tube is the ocular cluster with four lens elements (2 doublets). The fifth ocular lens is the field lens which doesn't move as it is fixed (threaded) onto the barrel.

Renze

Attachments

• optical-mechanical layout (1).jpg
    optical-mechanical layout (1).jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 160
  • ocular (2).jpg
    ocular (2).jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Renze,

Did you mean the eye lens (lens closest to the eye) rather than the field lens doesn't move? This focusing system certainly appears to be identical to the Leitz Trinovid, at least as far as which eyepiece groups move, but I'm not sure any Trinovids used that 2-2-1 eyepiece design.

Henry

Edit: In reading back over this thread I see that you had already determined that the Elite focused like the Trinovid. So much for my memory. Adding the Uppendahl prisms makes for a pretty faithful copy, but with the improvements of multi-coating and, after 1992, phase correction.

Last edited:
Henry/ceasar,

Excuse me, I completely mixed up field and eye (lens). Of course what I meant was that the eye lens is fixed and carried by the housing.

To answer your question (Henry) if the eyepiece design might be identical to the Trinovid: no, it's not. The Trinovid used an Erfle-type ocular, quite different from what we have here for the Browning and Bausch & Lomb. For details of the Trinovid design, see the patent (you've got it).
Anticipating your next question (...) I've took photographs of the ocular lenses. Please keep us informed of your findings.

With respect to multi- and phase coating on this binocular (and the early, first series Elites - or Elite predecessors - in general) this depends of course on the time they were made. And did we date these binoculars yet? Securely?

Renze

Attachments

• L1010356.jpg
    L1010356.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 129
I posted a separate thread about a pair of B&L Elites I just picked up. They don't have the pebbled covering of the ones shown in post #7. Are these second generation? Would they be the phase coated ones?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Chad

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 171
Chad,

These are 2nd generation, with rubber armor (1st gen. pebbled leather indeed) and the focusing wheel still up front. There's one thing however which is somewhat different from the 2nd generation Elites I've seen: the focusing wheel here is finely knurled while on my pics (7x36 and 8x42 Elite) the knurling is wider spaced and could be of some rubber material (finish). So it's possible the 2nd generation might have had a cosmetic update at some point.

(Sorry, can't say anything on coating).

With respect to 1st and 2nd generation Elites, my information on model/issue so far is this:

1st gen.: 7x35 Classic, 8x42 Elite
2nd gen.: 7x36, 8x42, 10x42 all marked Elite

renze

Are we saying that this generation of Elite's had Uppendahls'?

James,

I think we can, with reasonable certainty. As the Browning, being a 99% copy of the B&L 7x35 Classic, has an Uppendahl prism cluster, the 7x35 Classic will have one too. With respect to its twin brother, the 8x42 1st gen. Elite, I would be greatly surprised if B&L would have chosen for a different - S&P - prism cluster for it.

Renze

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back