• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird visiting my garden - what is it??? (2 Viewers)

This is the second time I've seen you post something like this where it clearly isn't justified.
Not justified? You are ridiculous.
He didn't claim they were his pictures, nor are they high-resolution copies of sellable pictures [...]
It´s not of importance that JSB didn´t claim those are his pics. Also it´s negligible if those are high-resolution files or not.
..so who cares?
At least me and every other professional photographer.

[...] even though they were freely available on the internet and had no restrictions.
Freely available and no restructions? You aren´t serious!
You didn´t see the copyright note in the Munia photo of the photographer?
Nor did you read " © Bishan Monnappa" below the file on the OBI- website or the following text on the homepage of Orientalbirdimages:
The photographers retain the copyright to their images. If you wish to use these photos for any purpose, you must obtain their permission first.
You must not think that you can use every image on the www, even if a photographer don´t place a "©" in the image or nearby they are protected by copyright.
The exception is only when he claims that they are free for common use.
But that´s not the case here, right contrary.

To explain to others, there've been a couple of cases on the rare birds forum where I've challenged questionable behaviour by birders: the result is the odd jibe such as the above.
Questionable and weird is only your behavior. To infringe the copyright of others, what is culpable (!), and call persons who don´t appreciate this actions odd and of questionable behaviour.

Much bigger than green woodpecker, we have fat pigeons here near farm. About 10 - 12 inches tall beak brown / black. Hops about and swoops. Quite brave. Big fireworks do in village tonight hope it doesnt scare it way. Dont think it is a standard bird. Best way to describe brown jay but head a bit more bulbous / rounded. Thanks

Much bigger than green woodpecker rules out nutcracker (which is a similar size.)

Contrastingly though 10-12 inches long is the same size of both. And brown jay is same size too. So... ???

Also swoops ? Jays, woodpeckers, thrushes etc don't really swoop. Something from the crow family does swoop and hop and is much bigger than a green woodpecker.

And brave ? Definitely not a jay or woodpecker or thrush. Sounds more crow like.

Failing that some bird of prey or escapee ?

Nor did you read " © Bishan Monnappa" below the file on the OBI- website or the following text on the homepage of Orientalbirdimages:

You must not think that you can use every image on the www, even if a photographer don´t place a "©" in the image or nearby they are protected by copyright.

Questionable and weird is only your behavior. To infringe the copyright of others, what is culpable (!), and call persons who don´t appreciate this actions odd and of questionable behaviour.

Stonechat,

I seem to have annoyed you. I'm not sure if I should apologise or be startled by the degree of heat in your response. It's also intriguing that you have the time, patience and the need to search for the images which I've used.
However, since I've already apologised to Dan for a disproportionate reply earlier, I'd be accused of hypocrisy if I said I thought you were also having a bad day.;)
The issue of copyright images on the net is, to my mind, a little like speeding on a motorway. If you exceed the limit by a few kph/mph and the road is clear, I doubt that many would accuse you of a major crime. In using the images, I knew I wasn't going to profit from them; and I looked (albeit very briefly) for signs of copyright.
I'm a professional musician. Sometimes, I find that recordings I've made have been downloaded without payment or permission. I don't mind, since I view it as part of the price I pay to have my work on the web. It also delights me that the works of the great composers can be made more freely available.

Peter

Stonechat,

I seem to have annoyed you. I'm not sure if I should apologise or be startled by the degree of heat in your response. It's also intriguing that you have the time, patience and the need to search for the images which I've used.
However, since I've already apologised to Dan for a disproportionate reply earlier, I'd be accused of hypocrisy if I said I thought you were also having a bad day.;)
The issue of copyright images on the net is, to my mind, a little like speeding on a motorway. If you exceed the limit by a few kph/mph and the road is clear, I doubt that many would accuse you of a major crime. In using the images, I knew I wasn't going to profit from them; and I looked (albeit very briefly) for signs of copyright.
I'm a professional musician. Sometimes, I find that recordings I've made have been downloaded without payment or permission. I don't mind, since I view it as part of the price I pay to have my work on the web. It also delights me that the works of the great composers can be made more freely available.

Peter

Perhaps the simplest thing to do would have been to simply link to the images in-situ rather than saving them and then re-uploading them out of context.

Get a room!

Perhaps the simplest thing to do would have been to simply link to the images in-situ rather than saving them and then re-uploading them out of context.

Agree.
The other possibility is to post them as JSB did but with the included source. Then it´s recognisable as citation and nothing bad can happen.

It´s not only about that Peter can bring troubles on him when using photos without permission but also about the forum operator who is forced to react as soon has he/she knows about any copyright infringment on his website ( look at the E-commerce law).

I think we must not talk about this matter further.

I'm a professional musician. Sometimes, I find that recordings I've made have been downloaded without payment or permission. I don't mind, since I view it as part of the price I pay to have my work on the web.

That is your choice, doesn't give you the right to infringe the copyright of other persons.

And as for "The issue of copyright images on the net is, to my mind, a little like speeding on a motorway", rather revealing.

You frequently take people to task for various issues that you feel are of importance, but when tackled on an issue that is actually illegal, you basically take the attitute that you consider it nothing amiss.

Back to the bird...taking a wild stab at juv Hen Harrier...well you never know it could happen :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back