• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100-400 mkii IS modes (1 Viewer)

petemorris

Has anyone worked out the relative merits of IS mode 1 and IS mode 3. Does mode 3 work well for people as a general setting? Sounds like it could be the way to go?

Cheers

Pete

Mode 3 acts the same as Mode 2 (one plane) when activated by the shutter so I think the alternative would be mode 2 or mode 3. If you are shooting stationary subjects, mode 1 is the choice.

There is another mode, that I find particularly useful. If your camera's ISO capabilities allow a decent shutter speed for your focal length then there is a mode which (slightly) improves AF speed and can show significant improvements in tracking moving subjects. That mode is OFF.
I use Canon L IS lenses from 24 to 800mm and rarely, if ever. use IS. it is great to have in reserve and can save the day, but if the light allows you to get the shutter speed that you need then OFF has proved to be the best option on my 4 IS lenses.
I don't know if this setting will suit your personal needs but, for me, it had significant advantages - namely quite a few more "Keepers". Try it and see what you think, you can always turn it on if you are not happy!

There is another mode, that I find particularly useful. If your camera's ISO capabilities allow a decent shutter speed for your focal length then there is a mode which (slightly) improves AF speed and can show significant improvements in tracking moving subjects. That mode is OFF.
I use Canon L IS lenses from 24 to 800mm and rarely, if ever. use IS. it is great to have in reserve and can save the day, but if the light allows you to get the shutter speed that you need then OFF has proved to be the best option on my 4 IS lenses.
I don't know if this setting will suit your personal needs but, for me, it had significant advantages - namely quite a few more "Keepers". Try it and see what you think, you can always turn it on if you are not happy!
I use this mode all the time on the 400/5.6 lol

Try working in rain forest with that mode... !!

Try working in rain forest with that mode... !!

I couldn't speak for a rain forest - but I can most certainly speak for poor light and rain as I live in South Wales! I VERY rarely need the (4 stop) IS system on my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS (including hand held) so I can't see it being a biggie at 400mm.
If your subject is static then IS can be handy but moving subjects will normally demand a shutter speed where IS is ineffective and only serves to slow the AF of the lens and tracking of your AF system.
Since turning off the IS on all 4 of my IS lenses my keeper rate has improved significantly as well as the speed and responsiveness of my setup. It is always there in reserve but my gear is better off without it, well it has been since Jan 2014 which was the last time I used IS.
Try it for yourself, if you don't like it you can always turn it back on!

IS has no effect on focus acquisition - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1269755

Yes it does! I would not presume to disagree with what others say I am just relating what has happened with my gear. Try it and see for yourself. The delay is only a split second but it can matter and has got me shots that I would have missed otherwise.
One of the main reasons that I use a 1DX is it's speed. Not the fps but the speed at which the camera responds - It is significantly faster than my previous 1D4 (which is very quick by any standards!).
On all bar the latest IS systems focus can only be achieved once the IS has stabilised. On the latest IS incarnation, I believe that in mode 3, focus is achieved and then the IS kicks in. Either way there is still a delay. My main lenses are the Canon 300 F2.8 L IS and Canon 800 F5.6 L IS - both perform better with the IS turned off, as do my 70-200 F2.8 L IS, 24-105 L IS as well as previously owned 600 F4 L IS and 300 F4 L IS. I have also tried this on a friend's Canon 500 F4 L IS Mk2 (in modes 1,2 and 3) the same is the case - though less markedly so.
The bottom line is that Canon lenses AF quicker and, in my experience, track better without IS. Don't quote forums, try it for yourself. If it works (it will) then great - then like me you will have learned something. If you don't like the results then that's fine just turn the IS back on - no biggie! Remember IS was developed for film cameras with 200-400 ISO film not cameras that are clean at 8000 ISO.
Give it a go - I would be interested in your observations.

Sorry if I sound a bit over the top about this IS off business! It is just that I have found that doing so has made a significant improvement to my (wildlife) photography. Whilst improving my cameras and lenses have helped but at a considerable price - turning off the IS is FREE!
We are not talking night and day here, the speed difference is slight - but then so is the speed difference between a standard and a pro body. However that small difference can be ALL the difference! Not to mention the improved tracking on moving subjects.
When the light will not allow you to get the shutter speed that you need and you are running out of ISO then turn the IS on - that's what it is there for.

Sorry if I sound a bit over the top about this IS off business! It is just that I have found that doing so has made a significant improvement to my (wildlife) photography. Whilst improving my cameras and lenses have helped but at a considerable price - turning off the IS is FREE!
We are not talking night and day here, the speed difference is slight - but then so is the speed difference between a standard and a pro body. However that small difference can be ALL the difference! Not to mention the improved tracking on moving subjects.
When the light will not allow you to get the shutter speed that you need and you are running out of ISO then turn the IS on - that's what it is there for.

Mmmm food for thought John I will certainly give it a go I usually leave my lens on mode3 dose not hurt to try something different, Cheers:gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back