• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
Just joined the forum and will be posting from Panjin, Liaoning Province, China at the present.

I have recently started on disability retirement and at this posting am living with my Chinese wife and daughter in Panjin. Benefits require me to be present in the US for at least half the year for the next couple of years, so will be back and forth between here and Kansas City, KS as well as some traveling in the US and Canada.

I was teaching spoken English at the Shenyang Aerospace University until the Chinese government decided that I was too old for another work visa.
I quickly found I needed a hobby to keep me occupied, especially while in China and to keep me from driving the wife nuts. I dabbled at a return to an old interest in astro-photography but soon decided that it was too rich for my means. Same went for a home machine shop, besides the lack of anywhere to put it here. (I am also retired as a Certified Manufacturing Engineer and having taught Engineering Technology in higher education in the US) Reaching way back to having spent my formative years in a rather isolated area in the mountains of Pennsylvania, I found a return to bird watching/photography to be perfect. Investment is relatively low - a good digital camera - a telephoto and a good field guide or two - and it presents a real challenge in identifying birds that are often totally new to me. Besides the exercise is good therapy for my arthritis.

The locals here in Panjin eyed me with obvious suspicion at first and now a only mildly concealed conviction that I am obviously more than a little nuts. The local police followed me at a discrete distance for almost an hour one day until it finally got boring enough that they gave up and drove on past.

Hi Owen and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. We have a number of members from China, and you'll find most of them posting in this forum.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Owen,

Great to have someone else posting from NE China. Nice to see that you already have a few interesting birds around (saw your other thread) - hope they'll be coming up this way before too long.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back