Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 14:24   #1
Fabio

Canon 7D II + 400mm f/5.6L prime + TC 1.4x III images

Hello all,

I have been using the 7D II + 400mm f/5.6L prime + TC 1.4x III and many have been asking me about the results, so I have made a small compilation on Flickr (see link below).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fduart...7650575321378/

Generally, I would say that at f/8 (wide open) the sharpness is acceptable, but you might want to stop down to f/11, which is not a problem under good light and a stable tripod. Besides, ISO 800 for the 7D Mark II is not a problem at all.

The focusing speed decreases a lot, but it remains very accurate. Notice that I use back button autofocus with AI-SERVO.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Fabio.
Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 15:50   #2
hampers
Hampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Hello all,

I have been using the 7D II + 400mm f/5.6L prime + TC 1.4x III and many have been asking me about the results, so I have made a small compilation on Flickr (see link below).

Generally, I would say that at f/8 (wide open) the sharpness is acceptable, but you might want to stop down to f/11, which is not a problem under good light and a stable tripod. Besides, ISO 800 for the 7D Mark II is not a problem at all.

The focusing speed decreases a lot, but it remains very accurate. Notice that I use back button autofocus with AI-SERVO.

Best regards,
Fabio.
Very interesting thanks. What shutter speeds were you using? I suspect that you have far better light than we get in the uk for many months of the year. My findings are that in good light, we don't get much at this time of year, the results are reasonable. As the year progresses and light improves will be trying more. On the 1D3 this combination worked well. I hope its the same on the 7D2 and have no reason to see why it won't.

Phil

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 17:11   #3
davethebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampers View Post
Very interesting thanks. What shutter speeds were you using? I suspect that you have far better light than we get in the uk for many months of the year. My findings are that in good light, we don't get much at this time of year, the results are reasonable. As the year progresses and light improves will be trying more. On the 1D3 this combination worked well. I hope its the same on the 7D2 and have no reason to see why it won't.

Phil
Hi Phil,

If you follow the link to the Flickr page and click on the first image you should be able to scroll down to the EXIF data. You can then use the right arrow to go through the rest of the images. Well worth doing as the shutter speeds range from 1/100 to 1/2000.

Looks like a great combination.

Dave
Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 19:59   #4
Fabio

Thanks Dave.

That's it, Phill, the EXIF is shown in each image page on flickr. Just need click on the first and scroll down.

Regards,
Fabio.
Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 20:26   #5
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampers View Post

Phil
I have just posted a few in the 'for sale' section Phil which have been taken in dreary old UK with the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (only the MkII tc - I suspect the mkIII would be a lot better). I had to crop very heavy as I only had a FF Camera but I am sure the 7D2 would have given better detail as I would not have to crop as heavily. The lens takes a tc very well IMO.

Last edited by Roy C : Tuesday 10th March 2015 at 21:52.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 20:35   #6
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Hello all,

Best regards,
Fabio.
Very nice Fabio

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:31   #7
hampers
Hampers

Thanks Dave and Fabio, shows what I know about Flickr - nowt!

Phil

Old Tuesday 10th March 2015, 21:33   #8
hampers
Hampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
I have just posted a few in the 'for sale' section Phil which have been taken in dreary old UK with the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc (only the MkII tc - I suspect the mkIII would be a lot better). I had to crop very heavy as I only had a FF Camera but I am sure the 7D2 would have given better detail as I would not have to crop as heavily. The lens takes a tc very well IMO.
p.s. the Goldfinch was shot on a tripod the other four were hand held.
Thanks Roy.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: