Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 18th April 2016, 10:07   #1
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

Android apps for digiscoping

Have jumped ship from iOS to Android... Went for the Xperia Z5 compact as it's a size I am used to. Can anyone recommend good camera apps? Don't need the editing software as I have snapseed. Would like an app that let's me lock focus and aperture so I can manually focus with the scope. Advice appreciated as I know this is an apple dominated thread.
Old Tuesday 10th May 2016, 19:45   #2
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

Thank you for everyone's replies on my query above... Am I the only one using an Android phone to digiscope? On the off chance anyone else does and wants to know a good app, I got Camera FV-5 http://www.camerafv5.com/ which seems to do the trick https://twitter.com/BoyWonderBirder/...593?lang=en-gb Not had loads of time to play with it but does a job. Does squeeze the image a little but nothing that snapseed won't fix.
Old Saturday 4th June 2016, 01:01   #3
SASKMUDDER

Thanks for the info. I will have to try it out.
Steve
Old Monday 11th July 2016, 11:13   #4
paddy7

I just posted something on the Carson Hookupz - i downloaded the Camera Timer app, as it was the only one that seemed to have a 1sec timer delay on the shutter available (to avoid the inevitable vibration if you take the shot by touching the screen). Also has an easy-to-use zoom, exposure compensation, flash on/off, focus options, gallery, settings etc all accessed from the front screen via small icons.
Seems as much as i need, as i too don't need editing etc.
Free from the Google Play Store.
Old Wednesday 24th August 2016, 16:09   #5
dalat

I use a Samsung phone (S5 mini) and the phone's pre-installed camera app. I don't use a timer but the function that let's you point on the spot you want to autofocus on and simultaneously clinch the shutter. I find this gives very good results, no issue with vibrations, as a very slight touch on the screen is sufficient.
Old Thursday 29th June 2017, 12:38   #6
Hauksen

Hi Dalat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
I don't use a timer but the function that let's you point on the spot you want to autofocus on and simultaneously clinch the shutter. I find this gives very good results, no issue with vibrations, as a very slight touch on the screen is sufficient.
I just installed Open Camera, which has an option to trigger the shutter by sound or voice command. I guess that's quicker than a self timer, and less vibration-inducing than touching the screen:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rge.opencamera

I haven't tried it in the field yet, though.

Regards,

Henning
Old Friday 30th June 2017, 20:43   #7
dalat

Hi Henning, I still use the standard camera app of my samsung phone. It can also be released by voice control, but I don't really use that, as its not so easy to get the precise moment. I still mostly use a slight finger tip on the screen, in most siutation that works fine. When I want to minimize vibrations, I use the headphone as cable release, works perfect.
Old Saturday 1st July 2017, 18:25   #8
Hauksen

Hi Dalat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
I still mostly use a slight finger tip on the screen, in most siutation that works fine. When I want to minimize vibrations, I use the headphone as cable release, works perfect.
I didn't know it was possible to use the headphone for that ... I'll have to read up on whether my old Sony Xperia T can do that too. Thanks for the tip! :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 09:28   #9
Hauksen

Hi again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
I didn't know it was possible to use the headphone for that ... I'll have to read up on whether my old Sony Xperia T can do that too.
Thinking about it, maybe a Bluetooth release would be even better as it would avoid the tangly cable ...

I actually have a simple Bluetooth controller lying around here which can operate some media player functions. Too bad it didn't come with any documentation, it would be perfect as camera remote control!

Regards,

Henning
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: