Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 1st December 2016, 10:17   #26
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Lee, as Henry pointed out, the Elites were very pricey and [in their day] were likely the best selling alpha in the US and Canada. Reviews often ranked them at or near the very top as well. For a few years they were everywhere. Even now, at hotspots like Niagara or Pelee [and even in the tropics] I still see lots of people with early Elites.
Thanks for posting James, I had no idea they were so well regarded.

Talking of which, over here Tamron's SP series of photographic lenses were held in a similar high regard, giving manufacturers' lenses a run for their money. At one time I had 4 of them ranging from macro 90 to 500mm mirror lens. The SP90 macro lens in particular was a beauty. I believe they had (and perhaps still do) a high reputation as a make of TV camera lenses.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Thursday 1st December 2016 at 10:26.
Old Thursday 1st December 2016, 14:37   #27
Binastro

10x42 Elite.
Close focus for me 4.28m or 14ft.
Weight exactly 800g or 28.2 ounces.
Field marked and from memory correct 5.6 degrees 295ft at 1000 yds.
Although edge slightly unsharp still good.
No problems at close focus.
Old Thursday 1st December 2016, 14:59   #28
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

thanks for taking the time to check that out.
Old Friday 2nd December 2016, 04:20   #29
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
James:

There is a good review of the original waterproof, B&L Elite on "Better View Desired".

It is from 10/96, and Steven Ingraham placed it very high, and was a reference standard.
I enjoy his review style, they are all well done.

Lots of good reading about the binoculars of the past, and I'm pleased it has been
preserved and still up.

Jerry
As a subscriber to BVD in the newsprint and paper days, I must say that I really enjoyed Steve Ingraham's reviews in those early days...except that one. I don't know what inspired him to write "The image remains perfectly sharp right to the edge as well." Absolutely untrue. What most baffles me is that he says nothing about the strong off-axis astigmatism of that model, which renders the sweet spot smaller than in most competitors. I think the review would have been much better (i.e. more accurately critical in the negative sense) if he'd used the Leica 8x42 Ultra/Trinovid for comparison rather than the 8x32. That Elite also has fairly strong warm (orange) color bias and inferior contrast. I've handled a lot of them. Later production improved over earlier. Still, it's not a model for which I've ever had much enthusiasm except as a butterfly glass. Excellent for that with its ~4.5 ft close and rapid focus.

--AP
Old Saturday 4th February 2017, 20:48   #30
richard866945
Bino repair man

B&L Elites

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
So, do we settle on Tamron as the maker?
My workshop used to be the UK repairer B&L and Bushnell until I decided to take the summer off to go sailing.

I still have the parts diagrams for the Elite for models and they are all headed KAMAKURA.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: