• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk County Year Lists - what's the score? (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Just wondering what a good/record year for the best (and other ;) ) counties in the UK is.

Saw something about the Norfolk County record for an individual being 279(?) one year - indicates the complete county list for that year must be a reasonable number.

Cornwall (as a whole) looks set to break through the 300 (reported) species barrier imminently for this year (2017).

The Cambs Year List record is 218 species. My personal best year list in the county was 214 species.....

Garry Taylor got 287 in Yorkshire last year. We couldn't find a higher total, so reckon that's probably the UK county year list record.

The Suffolk record is 264, set by Lee Woods in 2005. He saw 91% of the birds seen in the county during the year and was also the finder of the Trumpeter Finch at Landguard.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like there are some numbers for individual birders out there, but finding the total for any particular county as a whole a bit more awkward - maybe only hidden in the hard copies of the county bird reports? Or maybe LGRE or even Birdguides? ;)

The Suffolk record is 264, set by Lee Woods in 2005. He saw 91% of the birds seen in the county during the year and was also the finder of the Trumpeter Finch at Landguard.

I make that 290 species total seen in the county for the year then (264 / 0.91)

Sorry Dan, I misunderstood what you were after.

The highest Leics/Rutland county total was 226 in 2010, the year I got 202. It varies considerably from year to year, with just 203 recorded in 2015 for example.

Steve

Given we dont even know who holds the British year list record (does Mark Pass's efforts last year count as no detail has been released as far as I am aware?) what chance have we of the county records?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back