• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First three entries (1 Viewer)

LenCard

Your evaluation of these photos would be very appreciated. These are my first 3 entries to birdforum.
Thanks,
Len

Attachments

• American-Goldfinch.jpg
    American-Goldfinch.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 200
  • Portrait of a Seagull.jpg
    Portrait of a Seagull.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Sparrow-on-Granite.jpg
    Sparrow-on-Granite.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 199
Really nice pictures...

First one doesn't seem to be focused on the eyes though which is where I would try to focus on.

Second one is a nice crop.

Third one is good. Maybe a little bit more room to the left of the bird to give it somewhere to fly into. But the depends on whether you've cropped to take out anything else in the picture which could distract from the bird.

couerdelion said:
Really nice pictures...

First one doesn't seem to be focused on the eyes though which is where I would try to focus on.

Second one is a nice crop.

Third one is good. Maybe a little bit more room to the left of the bird to give it somewhere to fly into. But the depends on whether you've cropped to take out anything else in the picture which could distract from the bird.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words of encouragement. As for the third picture, I decieded to crop more off the right side (as you're looking at the bird) to give it the effect of the bird looking into the center of the picture. Also I tried to use the "Rule of Thirds" to place the bird on one of the vertical planes. Is my thinking accurate? What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Len

Hi Len the rule of thirds rule is a good one to follow though really it depends what is in the photo along with the bird and also were the bird is looking. Sometimes selective cropping is needed to get rid of something that isnt wanted in the photo or sometimes to portray a feeling in the photo. Personally i dont like too much empty space. I think your sparrow is cropped nicely but i think i would have reduced the space above by about half again as this then concentrates the eye down more towards the bird and the rather attractive foreground.

Thanks for the advice. I guess at this stage of my growth I need to move a little away from the strick rules and go with the feelings conveyed by a little experimentation.
Thanks again,
Len

Rules are always made to be broken Len. They are there more as a guide than something you have to rigidly stick to. Go with whatever works for you.

psilo said:
Rules are always made to be broken Len. They are there more as a guide than something you have to rigidly stick to. Go with whatever works for you.

Yes, I agree with this, if you keep sticking to the rules all your photos start to look similar.
Dave

Good effort Len. Just one small criticism- On the second image, the white on the neck seems a little blown out, (overexposed)
Regards Rob.

LenCard said:
What would I do to correct this?
Len

Basically under expose for white pictures and overexpose for dark pictures

also have a read in the camera manual for white balance and how to set it manually rather than leaving it to the camera.

I'll check out the manuel on setting the white balance. Just one thing, how does one set the white balance controls ahead of time. When I made this shot the bird just flew in and landed, then flew away. Is there a quick way of doing this?
Thanks again,
Len

Rob,
I have PS CS2 and so I guess I can adjust the white balance in this program. I thought that the pros had a technique to set it on the fly. I'll read up on it in the CS2 book and see what I can come up with. If not I'll look into the link you sent me. I should probably get proficient with one or two good programs before I begin to venture outward.
Thanks again,
Len

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back