• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EOS-1D MkII 8mp announced (1 Viewer)

I think I'll hold off for the moment :)
Haven't seen any prices mentioned....looks like a head to head with the Nikon D2H, should be popular with the press/sports photographers, and no reason why wildlife snapper shouldn't enjoy the 8.5 fps

I see they also announced 2 new EF zoom lenses

EF 28-300 F3.5-5.6L IS USM
&
EF 70-300 F4.5-5.6 DO IS USM.

Dunno the prices on them though.

Official US price for the Camera is $4,499 on the www.dpreview.com website. (Now where did I put my piggy bank?)

On the lens, the EF 28-300 F3.5-5.6L IS USM, it is $2,499 US and Euro price.

Not sure on the other one, but I believe it is around $1,499 US and Euro.

Last edited:
I use the Sigma 50-500mm lens, and a Canon D60. The D60 will multiply the focal length by 1.6x giving me a staggering 80-800mm. The good thing is, it uses the middle section of the lense (better quality) and still gives me f5.6 ;-). I highly recommend it, they also do a 170-500mm .... I have seen them second hand for around £350

A point to remember a camera with 8 MP and no multiplication factor may not be as good as a 6MP with a 1.6x in some cases

Hi Elizabeth and thank you!

I think it is my second post. I am trying to find my way around the site. I just never seem to find time!!!

I have many pictures taken with my D60 which I would like to share, but I haven't figured out how to upload them yet. I am also interested in enering the competitions

I am from Nottingham and I am looking to find a local bird photographer that I could team up with, so if anyone is intertested, please let me know

Jamie

scottishdude said:
A point to remember a camera with 8 MP and no multiplication factor may not be as good as a 6MP with a 1.6x in some cases
I think the 1D mkII will have a multiplication factor of 1.3x. It will also be very fast & if the autofocus operates as well as on the original 1D it will become the wildlife "action" camera of choice. It is also likely to autofocus at at least f8 which means autofocus with a 600 lens(f4) + 2x convertor will yield a massive magnification of x31.2 -this coupled with the new in-built digic processor which yields good images at high ISO settings will make this a great piece of kit assuming it delivers what it promises. Likely retail price in the UK is £3,500-£3,600. I'm saving up now.

To achieve this :bounce: I will need to do much less of this B :) !

I don't know that it will autofocus with the converter on . I have the Sigma 2x and it doesn't with my 50-500 ;-(

I do agree that it will be an excellent action camera though. I also think your magnification will be around 19.2 which is still brilliant

at those prices, it might be worth a visit to the states where the $ is about 1.8 to the £

I think I would have to drink more to justify parting with that kind of money lol

scottishdude said:
I don't know that it will autofocus with the converter on . I have the Sigma 2x and it doesn't with my 50-500 ;-(

I do agree that it will be an excellent action camera though. I also think your magnification will be around 19.2 which is still brilliant

at those prices, it might be worth a visit to the states where the $ is about 1.8 to the £

I think I would have to drink more to justify parting with that kind of money lol
Hi,
Both the Canon 1D & the 1Ds autofocus at f8 but the D60 & 10D don't. With the 1Ds on a bright day I get autofocus using a 500 f4 lens + 2x convertor + 1.4x convertor stacked with good results as long as there is no heat-haze & the resulting images are very acceptable. The 1D mkII will probably also allow this & if so will effectively result in x 43.6 (600/50 x2x1.4x1.3) -almost digiscoping levels.

I shall wait until the 1Ds mark II comes out...........Taking up scotishdudes point though, it is worth noting that the 1.6x is a crop factor and not true magnification as the sensor is smaller in the D60 and 10D (24mmx16mm as oposed to 36mmx24mm in the 1Ds and 28.7mmx19.1mm in the new 1d mk II) plus the edge definition loss is not significant when using the high end Canon glass, it is not a particular issue either as the subject is rarely so full in frame for this to matter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back